Larry Keating-Larry Keating-Larry Keating!!!!
Add Reply
cathy
2009-12-24 05:42:06 UTC
Hello,

I am looking for personal information about the veteran actor who
played on Mister Ed, as "Roger Addison." I know he was on Burns and
Allen as Harry Morton. I know the movies he has made prior to Mister
Ed... I am looking for some personal information, ie: did he have any
children? was he married? how did the staff react to the news of his
passing? did Mr. Keating serve in the military? Basically, ANYTHING
that talks about him and not a portfolio of his achievments, though
they are interesting, I would like to know about Mr. Keating .. who he
was. I already know what he has achieved.

PLEEZE.. somebody tell me something!!

Thanks in advance,
Cathy
Matthew Kruk
2009-12-24 05:57:54 UTC
Post by cathy
Hello,
I am looking for personal information about the veteran actor who
played on Mister Ed, as "Roger Addison." I know he was on Burns and
Allen as Harry Morton. I know the movies he has made prior to Mister
Ed... I am looking for some personal information, ie: did he have any
children? was he married? how did the staff react to the news of his
passing? did Mr. Keating serve in the military? Basically, ANYTHING
that talks about him and not a portfolio of his achievments, though
they are interesting, I would like to know about Mr. Keating .. who he
was. I already know what he has achieved.
PLEEZE.. somebody tell me something!!
From imdb.com, it appears he died on August 26, 1963:

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0444122/

Wikipedia has sparse info on him:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Larry_Keating

You might send a message to Alan Young's website requesting additional
information or pointers to more information:

http://www.mister-ed.tv/

Perhaps some one else in the group might have more info for you too.
Good luck.
cathy
2009-12-24 06:06:58 UTC
Post by cathy
[...]
Matthew,

Thanks for your very prompt response! Yeah, I know all those sights,
and had thought about contacting alan young.

My question to you: do you think Mr. Keating was an only child and
that is why the information is so sparse and non-existent? I can't
imagine a pretty big and well-liked actor would want to keep
everything about him "hush-hush." There are a lot of sites that have
info about him, but it's mostly the "copy and paste" type stuff from
other sites.

what do you believe? I am beginning to think he was an only child and
never married. certainly didn't have any children. I can't imagine any
child that would not want to talk to a reporter about their famous
television star dad, can you?
Cathy
Matthew Kruk
2009-12-24 06:16:57 UTC
Post by Matthew Kruk
Post by cathy
[...]

---

I don't think it's so much being an only child Cathy as perhaps being
childless, thus I think it more likely he didn't marry or just didn't
have any children (for whatever reason).

I don't think it would hurt to ask the Alan Young website. As I said,
at the least they might offer pointers to other decent sources for
information.

Wait for a bit, perhaps some other regular readers of this newspaper
might have some additional info or suggestions for you. They're a nice
and smart bunch.
cathy
2009-12-24 06:32:47 UTC
Post by cathy
Post by Matthew Kruk
Post by cathy
[...]
and smart bunch.- Hide quoted text -
Thanks Matthew. I'm still trying to find my way around here, learning
how to navigate the forum...

I think I will try alan young's website. But first I will offer my
condolences to him regarding connie hines' passing. that was a real
shock to me when I started looking here and read that!

If anyone has any answers, please post them. If I get any information
from mr. young, I'll let everyone know. Thanks Cathy
nonsportsnut
2009-12-24 08:41:01 UTC
Hi Cathy and others,

I usually research Three Stooges supporting players, but using the
same search methods, I accessed the LA Times newspaper of Aug. 27,
1963, which had a photo and fairly extensive obit on Larry Keating.
He was born in St. Paul, MN. June 13, 1896. He was the nephew of
Tommy Burns, onetime Heavyweight boxing champion. Larry spent his
boyhood with his family in Portland, OR., San Francisco, CA. and
Sydney, Australia, where he saw Burns lose the Title to Jack Johnson.

He began his career in a Portland Stock Company which toured the
States. He served in World War I as an artilleryman, and later
travelled the World as a merchant seaman. He played in "White Cargo"
for two years before joining National Broadcasting Company as a
special events announcer. He spent 7 years as a regular on radio's
"This Is Your FBI". During World War II he toured military camps with
Bob Hope and other performers. From 1945 to 1963, he was credited in
52 films and TV Shows, finishing up with "Mr. Ed".

Prior to his death, he had been ill with leukemia for 6 months, and
entered Good Samaritan Hospital in LA, where he died on August 26,
1963. He had worked on "Mr' Ed" until the week prior to his death.

He was survived by his wife Ruth, three children; Captain Robert S.
Keating, USAF; Larry, Jr. and a stepson William Evans; two
grandchildren, and a brother, John D. Keating of Honolulu, Hawaii.

Anyone who may have information on Three Stooges supporting players,
please email me at ***@aol.com

Frank Reighter
Cathy
BeAStooge
2009-12-24 09:02:41 UTC
From 1945 to 1963, he was credited in 52 films and TV Shows
And costarring in 1964's THE INCREDIBLE MR. LIMPET with Don Knotts.
BeAStooge
2009-12-24 09:15:32 UTC
Post by BeAStooge
From 1945 to 1963, he was credited in 52 films and TV Shows
And costarring in 1964's THE INCREDIBLE MR. LIMPET with Don Knotts.
Follow-up...

Alan Young once said that Larry's last MR. ED episode (his 2nd-to-last
episode aired) was "Leo Durocher Meets Mr. Ed." As ill as he was, and
the cast and crew knew he would not get better, Keating put 100%
effort into his scenes. Loved and respected by his coworkers, Young
choked up telling Keating's story.
Matthew Kruk

Thank you.
cathy
2009-12-24 11:04:02 UTC
Post by BeAStooge
Post by BeAStooge
From 1945 to 1963, he was credited in 52 films and TV Shows
And costarring in 1964's THE INCREDIBLE MR. LIMPET with Don Knotts.
Follow-up...
Alan Young once said that Larry's last MR. ED episode (his 2nd-to-last
episode aired) was "Leo Durocher Meets Mr. Ed." As ill as he was, and
the cast and crew knew he would not get better, Keating put 100%
effort into his scenes. Loved and respected by his coworkers, Young
choked up telling Keating's story.
BeAStooge -

THANK YOU VERY MUCH!! This is exactly the sort of information I was
looking for!!! Merry Christmas!

BTW, can you help Frank out with info on the Three Stooges supporting
cast members??
cathy
2009-12-26 04:59:07 UTC
Post by BeAStooge
Follow-up...
Alan Young once said thatLarry'slast MR. ED episode (his 2nd-to-last
episode aired) was "Leo Durocher Meets Mr. Ed." As ill as he was, and
the cast and crew knew he would not get better,Keatingput 100%
effort into his scenes. Loved and respected by his coworkers, Young
choked up tellingKeating'sstory.
Ok. I have read and re-read this message. I've even read it to my
husband. From what I am understanding, the LAST episode Mr. Keating
did **which aired** was: "Leo Durocher Meets Mr. Ed."

The part that is unclear to me and from my best understanding, is you
are saying that the Leo Durocher episode was Larry's second to last...
that leads me to believe there was another episode that either began
taping, or never finished. OR, out of respect to the family at that
time (and in the future as well), was yanked from the episode guide.

Is this a clear understanding of what you have typed?

In other words, there was another one that came after Leo Durocher but
never aired because it was either not done in its entirety, or was
yanked out of respect to Mr. Keating and his family. Is this correct?

Any idea how I might find when the episodes were TAPED or RECORDED?
m***@gmail.com
2013-11-06 19:11:20 UTC
Larry was a private man. I don't know if there was another recorded episode after the last one that aired, but if you check with the television show copy rights it should list it. To answer your question about family, from what I know, Larry was his mothers only child. His half-brothers came along after his father re-married but they all cared for one another. Larry's obit. states he had a wife, two sons and a stepson. He was well loved by many and was a wonderful man.

Hope this answers your question about his personal life.
David Carson
2013-11-06 20:34:38 UTC
I've forgotten the question.
Brad Ferguson
2013-11-06 21:31:40 UTC
Post by David Carson
Post by m***@gmail.com
Larry was a private man. I don't know if there was another recorded episode
after the last one that aired, but if you check with the television show
copy rights it should list it. To answer your question about family, from
what I know, Larry was his mothers only child. His half-brothers came along
after his father re-married but they all cared for one another. Larry's
obit. states he had a wife, two sons and a stepson. He was well loved by
many and was a wonderful man.
Hope this answers your question about his personal life.
I've forgotten the question.
You made me look. Back around Christmas 2009, someone named Cathy
asked about Larry Keating, and a couple of people provided some
details, which she appreciated. (Cathy had tried to get his obit from
the L.A. Times, which she said would only provided her a framed and
matted copy of his obit for $40 or more.)

The thread is here:

http://goo.gl/JEkGS2
Matthew Kruk
2009-12-24 09:22:15 UTC
Thank you very much!
cathy
2009-12-24 11:01:38 UTC
Post by cathy
Hello,
I am looking for personal information about the veteran actor who
played on Mister Ed, as "Roger Addison." I know he was on Burns and
Allen as Harry Morton. I know the movies he has made prior to Mister
Ed... I am looking for some personal information, ie: did he have any
children? was he married? how did the staff react to the news of his
passing? did Mr. Keating serve in the military? Basically, ANYTHING
that talks about him and not a portfolio of his achievments, though
they are interesting, I would like to know about Mr. Keating .. who he
was. I already know what he has achieved.
PLEEZE.. somebody tell me something!!
Thanks in advance,
Cathy- Hide quoted text -
Frank,

You are so wonderful to give me such a detailed obit of Mr. Keating. I
have been to the La Times but did not get that detail as they were
wanting me to pay $44-88 for the information FRAMED and MATTED. I just
didn't have that kind of money. I thought there was a way that I could
get the obit ONLINE, but from what I read, they said if FAQ, it was
not possible to download the information. Perhaps I misunderstood
something?

That is wonderful to share all that information with me. Before I came
here I was going to check findagrave. I seem to recall reading that
Mr. Keating shared a mausoleum with a relative, I am thinking a
sister??

Anyway thanks for the information, it's much appreciated. I am unsure
why his children were unavailable for comment? At any rate, I'll do my
best to locate info for you on the three stooges. Not sure what you
have, but you seem to be a pro, so whatever I find most likely will
not be any news to you. Again, thanks for your help. Have a wonderful
Christmas! Cathy
Kris Baker
2009-12-24 16:18:13 UTC
Post by cathy
You are so wonderful to give me such a detailed
obit of Mr. Keating. I have been to the La Times but
did not get that detail as they were wanting me to
pay $44-88 for the information FRAMED and MATTED.
That's for the entire (large) page.

A "document purchase (print-out of the obituary itself,
in .pdf format) is $3.95.
http://snurl.com/ttwwo [pqasb_pqarchiver_com]

Kris
islanders
2009-12-24 16:22:56 UTC
How much must someone hate a guy if they are willing to get a framed
and matted copy of his obituary?
f***@aol.com
2013-11-06 22:11:52 UTC
Post by cathy
Hello,
I am looking for personal information about the veteran actor who
played on Mister Ed, as "Roger Addison." I know he was on Burns and
Allen as Harry Morton. I know the movies he has made prior to Mister
Ed... I am looking for some personal information, ie: did he have any
children? was he married? how did the staff react to the news of his
passing? did Mr. Keating serve in the military? Basically, ANYTHING
that talks about him and not a portfolio of his achievments, though
they are interesting, I would like to know about Mr. Keating .. who he
was. I already know what he has achieved.
PLEEZE.. somebody tell me something!!
Thanks in advance,
Cathy
Hi Cathy, Here's a link to his LA Times obit, from August 27, 1963:

https://secure.pqarchiver.com/latimes/doc/168387960.html?FMT=AI&FMTS=ABS:AI&type=historic&date=Aug+27%2C+1963&author=&pub=Los+Angeles+Times+(1923-Current+File)&desc=Larry+Keating+of+Films%2C+TV+Succumbs+at+64

If it doesn't open for you, email me at ***@aol.com and I'll email you a printed copy of the obit.

Frank Reighter
That Derek
2013-11-07 03:36:20 UTC
I found a "Keating, Lawrence" listed in the 1973 reference book "The New York Times Directory of the Theater" (it's essentially an index of every performer, director, producer, librettist, composer, etc. whose name ever appeared in a NY Times theatrical review up to 1970).,

Lawrence Keating's two shows listed wherein are:

Locked Room, The (reviewed by NYT, December 26, 1933, page 18, column 5);
Queer People (reviewed by NYT, February 16, 1934, page 16, column 2).

From my experiences as a professional researcher, you won't get biographical info on Mr. Keating from such reviews. However, one might acquire some "colour" on the order of "Also in the cast is a young Lawrence Keating ..."

Cathy, please contact me off-list [***@yahoo.com]. I often execute research at "The New York Public Library for the Performing Arts at Lincoln Center, Billy Rose Theatre Collection, Third Floor," which I colloquially refer to as "Billy Rose." This facility has file folders full of clippings on virtually any performer one can think of. I'm willing to wager Mr. Keating will likely have such a folder. Also, I might be able to access original Playbills for the aforementioned plays and these programmes might have biographical sketches on Mr. Keating.

Does this sudden interest in Larry Keating have anything to do with the re-appearance of "Mister Ed" reruns on the Antenna-TV cable channel a couple of days ago? Please feel free to respond "Of course, of course" at any time if applicable.
Derek Tague
2013-11-07 03:49:48 UTC
Post by nonsportsnut
Anyone who may have information on Three Stooges supporting players,
please email me .... <snip>

Geez, I truly hope someone can put a DENT in it.
s***@verizon.net
2016-01-25 05:00:29 UTC
I am married to his great grandson Joshus keating. What did you want to know. We atummbled across this post when trying to find out more about Ruth.
b***@gmail.com
2016-12-04 22:23:22 UTC
Went to visit the grave of your husband's great-grandfather, the talented Larry Keating, here in Portland. He was a terrific actor, equally skilled in drama and comedy. The mausoleum could use a little sprucing up. Are there any relatives in Portland? I'd be happy to help.
j***@gmail.com
2017-07-08 02:20:24 UTC
Do you have any idea who Sydney was? We were walking in the cemetery and started looking up Portland history, but she seems to be a ghost.