Tobe Hooper, "Poltergeist", 74
2017-08-27 08:37:25 UTC
http://variety.com/2017/film/news/tobe-hooper-dead-dies-texas-chain-saw-massacre-poltergeist-director-dies-1202539868/
Tobe Hooper, ‘Texas Chain Saw Massacre’ and ‘Poltergeist’ Director, Dies
at 74

August 26, 2017 | 11:35PM PT

Tobe Hooper, the horror director best known for helming “The Texas Chain
Saw Massacre” and “Poltergeist,” died Saturday in Sherman Oaks, Calif.,
according to the Los Angeles County Coroner. He was 74. The circumstances
of his death were not known.

The 1974 “Texas Chain Saw Massacre” became one of the most influential
horror films of all time for its realistic approach and deranged vision.
Shot for less than $300,000, it tells the story of a group of unfortunate
friends who encounter a group of cannibals on their way to visit an old
homestead. Though it was banned in several countries for violence, it was
one of the most profitable independent films of the 1970s in the U.S. The
character of Leatherface was loosely based on serial killer Ed Gein.

Hooper also directed the 1986 sequel “The Texas Chainsaw Massacre 2,”
which took a more comedic approach, as part of his Cannon Films deal.

The 1982 “Poltergeist,” written and produced by Steven Spielberg, also
became a classic of the genre. The story of a family coping with a house
haunted by unruly ghosts starred JoBeth Williams and Craig T. Nelson. The
film was a box office success for MGM and became the eighth-highest
grossing film of the year.

After “Poltergeist,” Hooper directed two movies for Cannon Films,
“Lifeforce” and “Invaders from Mars,” a remake of the 1953 alien movie.

His 1979 CBS miniseries adaptation of Stephen King’s bestselling novel
“Salem’s Lot” is considered by many fans to be a high-water mark in
televisual horror. Combining the intrigue of a nighttime soap opera with
the gothic atmosphere of a classic horror film, the two-part program was
eventually reedited and released theatrically throughout Europe.

He continued working in television and film throughout the 1990s and
2000s, but none of the films had the impact of his early works. His last
film, the 2013 “Djinn,” was set in the United Arab Emirates and produced
by Image Nation. His other more recent works included “Toolbox Murders,”
“Mortuary” and two episodes of “Masters of Horror.”

Among his other works was the music video for Billy Idol’s “Dancing With
Myself.” In 2011 he co-authored a post-modern horror novel titled
“Midnight Movie” in which he himself appeared as the main character.

Willard Tobe Hooper was born in Austin, Texas and taught college before
starting out in documentaries.

He is survived by two sons.
--
Dead or Alive Data Base
http://www.doadb.com
David Carson
2017-08-27 09:12:58 UTC
I'm not usually up at 3:30-4:00 a.m. on Sunday morning, and when I am, I'm
not usually on alt.obituaries, but ...

Hurricane Harvey came in Friday night. I was right in that it went in west
of where it was being tracked at the time, but I was off by how far west.
It made landfall at Rockport in Aransas County. It did hit Corpus Christi
very badly. Pretty much every coastal county in Texas, 2 or 3 counties
deep or more, has been affected.

Here in Friendswood, a suburb southeast of Houston, I got some rain
yesterday, and did get some limbs and branches blown down into the yard,
but it wasn't noticeably worse than any typical heavy summer storm. Some
day this week is going to be yard cleanup day. Some other communities in
the Houston area fared much worse. There was one community where many
houses had windows broken and roofs damaged. Tornados, maybe.

Harvey has been moving northeast since making landfall, and the rain has
gotten much heavier here.As I write this, every freeway in Houston is
flooded. No one is going anywhere. A lot of people's houses are getting
flooded, and tens of thousands have lost power. About 1:30 a.m., I got a
robo-call from the city of Friendswood, alerting us that homes are
flooding. I looked outside and saw that my street was flooded, and water
was rising up into in my yard. I've only seen that two other times in the
25 years I've lived here. The house itself has never flooded.

I tried to go back to sleep, but it turns out there's a goose who has
decided to seek shelter under the eave right outside my bedroom. That
thing has been honking about 80 to 90 times per minute for two hours
straight (so far). I went outside and tried to go find it to shoo it away,
err, help it, but there's too much water and darkness to find it. So I'm
not getting any more sleep tonight. I'm not complaining. There are a lot
of people with very serious problems.

So I turn on the TV, where the local stations have been pretty much had
24-hour hurricane coverage. One thing they've been doing is showing
Twitter and Facebook pages of people like the Houston police chief. So
they were showing someone's Facebook page on TV, and I saw the word "died"
on it. Whenever I see or hear the word "died" anywhere, my attention goes
straight to it. Turns out it was about Tobe Hooper, and that brought me
here.

It's been raining buckets the whole time it took to write this, but the
water outside my house has actually gone down; the street isn't flooded
anymore. But the goose hasn't stopped honking, so I guess I'll be staying
up.

Dead or Alive Data Base
http://www.doadb.com
c***@aol.com
2017-08-27 14:54:13 UTC
Sounds like your real problem is the goose.
Sarah Ehrett
2017-08-27 15:14:49 UTC
Post by c***@aol.com
Sounds like your real problem is the goose.
Until the food runs out. Christmas Goose in September?

I was going to suggest he make a sign which says : " David C - alt.
obits. " for when he's on the roof. Maybe the ISS can spot him, a
"Where is Waldo" from space kinda thing?
Bryan Styble
2017-08-27 15:56:24 UTC
Sorry to read of your continuing predicament, David, although it's certainly good to know things not nearly as bad for you as it might be. (And of course IS for so many unfortunate others.)

Oh, and I seem to recall reading some posting of yours way back--in response to my (erroneously) claiming your postings don't reveal from where you post--that you indeed do make that public info, as long as the alt-obiter knows how to access the file (or whatever the proper cyber-term is) where that info is publicly available. (I hope to G-d I ain't confusing you with another poster herein, and may indeed be, for this was years ago).

Well, anyway, after that episode that I indeed looked you up, just out of curiosity, and as I recall it said New York City or something (which would make sense, since your postings are clearly literate and urbane. But now it turns out that you live on The Gulf Coast! (Point is, I'm so cyberly clueless that even when I DO think I'm correctly navigating this ever-confusing-to-me internet, I'm nevertheless STILL getting everything wrong!

Or, as Alfred E. Newman one month was alleged to have said, in that little easy-to-miss quotation the Mad editors place in the masthead each issue, "Some people are like blotters: they soak up all the information, but they get it all backwards!"

BRYAN STYBLE/[on the TSE 2017 Tour in] Memphis
Terry del Fuego
2017-08-27 15:49:41 UTC
Post by David Carson
Though it was banned in several countries for violence
When it was reissued to theaters at some point in the early 1980s, I
nervously went to see it, curious what all the fuss was about and
wondering if it would be more over the top than what I really wanted
to see.

Turns out it's actually a reasonably well-crafted suspense movie with
touches of twisted humor where the really awful things that happen to
people occur OFF-CAMERA. As far as what the audience actually sees,
"The Godfather" is infinitely more "violent".

And yet The Stupid People still had fits over it and I even remember a
network (NBC?) news report putting it on a list of movies that are so
awful that we're all going straight to hell simply for the sin of
occupying the same planet on which it was created. Oh well, there were
also "people" who "thought" "Snuff" was real.

The only two things "wrong" with that movie are that the budget didn't
allow for slightly better actors and dictated 16mm film stock.
David Carson
2017-08-28 00:03:54 UTC
On Sun, 27 Aug 2017 08:49:41 -0700, Terry del Fuego
Post by Terry del Fuego
The only two things "wrong" with that movie are that the budget didn't
allow for slightly better actors and dictated 16mm film stock.
Around the time it came out, I was in junior high school and was a member
of a Boy Scouts-like group that did a lot of camping. I didn't see the
movie, but enough of my friends did that I knew the gist of it. When you
camp in the Piney Woods of east Texas, you're going to hear chainsaws out
in the distance pretty often. You just do. That sound always gave us an
occasion to try to spook ourselves, which is one of the main things you
try to do when camping with a bunch of kids. Good times.

Dead or Alive Data Base
http://www.doadb.com