musician Hamish Menzies???
Jim Beaver
2006-02-16 09:49:05 UTC
Does anyone know if pianist-composer Hamish Menzies is still alive?

Jim Beaver
Hyfler/Rosner
2006-02-16 14:34:23 UTC
Post by Jim Beaver
Does anyone know if pianist-composer Hamish Menzies is
still alive?
Jim Beaver
Alive as of 2003, if this is the guy: Doesn't sound like
him.

Aberdeen Press and Journal

October 14, 2003

Bbc Scotland Involved In Row Over Coverage Of Main Choral
Event

Bbc Scotland found itself at the centre of a row at the
Royal National Mod in Oban, after it emerged that the
network is to discontinue its live broadcast of the Lovat
and Tullibardine Shield, the main choral event which takes
place on Friday afternoon. In previous years, the BBC
transmitted the competition, plus a special commentary,
through its Gaelic radio service Radio nan Gaidheal.

Hamish Menzies, the conductor of Dingwall Gaelic Choir, the
winner of last year's Lovat and Tullibardine, said: "It's
really disappointing that it's not happening because I know
people in the Highlands had their ears to the radio in
support of their local choir.

"Friends of mine actually recorded the whole programme last
year, and it was really useful to hear the other choirs
perform because you don't really get a chance to otherwise."
The president of Mod organisers An Comunn Gaidhealach, Angus
MacDonald, claimed that they had no input in the decision to
withdraw the service.

A BBC spokesman said: "Our coverage on television remains
unchanged.

"We will, as in previous years, be broadcasting the winners
of the competition on television as recorded at the
prizewinners' concert on Friday evening.

"We have never broadcast the whole competition on
television. However, we have had to withdraw from our live
coverage of the competition on BBC Radio nan Gaidheal.

"We enter into a contractual arrangement with An Comunn
Gaidhealach to enable us to provide coverage of the Mod to
the BBC audience.

"It is true that the costs associated with it has risen and
as we have a finite budget for the coverage of the event
something has to give.

"Over the past few years we have made many efficiencies in
the way in which we cover the whole event.

"And it is extensive coverage - this year some 25 hours on
radio and six hours on television - and with our online site
and digital transmissions these are now available not only
to audiences in Scotland but also to those much further
afield.

"We are now at the point where we cannot make further budget
costs and sustain the current level of coverage. We would
prefer not to make these choices, but these are the
realities."
Jim Beaver
2006-02-16 20:27:53 UTC
Post by Jim Beaver
Does anyone know if pianist-composer Hamish Menzies is still alive?
Jim Beaver
Alive as of 2003, if this is the guy: Doesn't sound like him.
Aberdeen Press and Journal
October 14, 2003
Bbc Scotland Involved In Row Over Coverage Of Main Choral Event
Bbc Scotland found itself at the centre of a row at the Royal National Mod
in Oban, after it emerged that the network is to discontinue its live
broadcast of the Lovat and Tullibardine Shield, the main choral event
which takes place on Friday afternoon. In previous years, the BBC
transmitted the competition, plus a special commentary, through its Gaelic
radio service Radio nan Gaidheal.
Hamish Menzies, the conductor of Dingwall Gaelic Choir,
Doesn't sound like him. It's a common enough Scots name. The Menzies I'm
looking for was a saloon and recording artist in the Forties and Fifties, in
the U.S.

Jim Beaver
Jim Macey
2006-02-17 00:59:12 UTC

There is one on the ssdi, born 1920, died 1990. SS issued in NY.
i***@gmail.com
2014-02-04 02:53:22 UTC
I knew pianist Hamish Menzies a little bit in the late 80's and early 90's. I was the piano manager at Nordstrom's in Sacramento (CA) and in 1988 received a press kit from him with a cassette of one of his albums. I never called him back because I got so many demos, cassettes, inquiries to play there. It is one of my biggest regrets.

Anyhow, I started listening to his tape a couple years later and loved it. I'm a big fan of Oscar Peterson and Hamish had similar technique and a great trio on this particular recording. I called the phone number on the tape. His wife said he was in a care facility in Roseville, CA (suburb of Sacto). I called to set up a meeting. My buddy & I went to meet him and had a great time. He played a song for me on the piano. He had one of those oxygen things under his nose and wore a hospital gown. He was already elderly and am very sure he is gone by now, as this was 23 years ago. I've never been able to find a this recording on LP. I scour the Internet and eBay often. I do find things here and there of him (not to be confused with the Scottish violinist/bandleader). If you want or have his records, please contact me. My website is www.JimMartinez.com. My contact info is on there. Thx!
j***@googlemail.com
2017-02-21 19:46:22 UTC
Post by Jim Beaver
Does anyone know if pianist-composer Hamish Menzies is still alive?
Jim Beaver
I knew Hamish Menzies well. fFrst met him in Germany when he was serving in the British Army in in the 2nd World War, around 1945.. We remained friends when we were both back in London.
He was the leading man in a J.B Priestly play which toured around the UK early 50's I think.
Hamish was a fine musician and also an extremely attractive man.It appears he died in 1990 after 3 marriages in America.

Joyce terry
That Derek
2017-02-22 01:11:45 UTC
Did/does this "Menzies" guy pronounce his name like it's spelled, "MEN-zeez,," or "Ming-is" (homophonic with jazzman Charles Mingus)?

Both versions are given in "The BBC Pronunciation Dictionary of British Names."

I saw that movie where Benedict Cumberbatch played code-breaker Alan Turing. There was a feller wherein named "Mingus," and sure enough, the closing credits spelled his name "Menzies."
David Carson
2017-02-22 01:35:04 UTC
(homophonic with jazzman Charles Mingus)?
That was just a rumor.