Janet Cantor Gari, 90, daughter of Eddie Cantor -- sketchy details
2018-01-30 22:12:16 UTC
Word is spreading throughout the OTR (old time radio) community that Janet Gari has passed after years of declining health.

Janet was the youngest and last surviving daughter of radio.ovie/vaudeville entertainer Eddie Cantor, and the mother of Broadway librettist/lyricist Brian Gari.

For many years, Janet was a perennial fixture at the annual NYC-area FOTR (Friends of Old Time Radio)convention.

A classy lady.

More aa this develops.
d***@gmail.com
More aa this develops.
b***@yahoo.com
2018-02-23 06:46:54 UTC
Word is spreading throughout the OTR (old time radio) community that Janet Gari has passed after years of declining health.
Janet was the youngest and last surviving daughter of radio.ovie/vaudeville entertainer Eddie Cantor, and the mother of Broadway librettist/lyricist Brian Gari. And younger sister, cabaret artist, New York/California entertainer, Amanda Gari.
More aa this develops.
That Derek
2018-02-24 01:49:12 UTC
And younger sister, cabaret artist, New York/California entertainer, Amanda Gari.
Leaving Amanda out is a slap in the face of their mother.

There is a simple reason and explanation why I didn't mention Amanda Gari is my preliminary posting: Amanda Gari, unlike her brother Brian, ISN'T famous.

Brian Gari's 1980s Broadway musical "Late Nite Comic" continues to have a cult following despite its short-lived tenure. Brian was the lyricist/composer of "Comic" -- I had incorrectly referred to him as "lyricist/librettist" in my original post. Mea culpa.

In addition, Brian has recorded several dozen albums and has had his compositions co-opted by performers such as Margaret Whiting, the Tokens, and Lesly Gore.

Ms./Mr. "bubblegum..." should investigate matters further before opining that my exclusion of Amanda was a "slap in the face" to Janet Cantor Gari. To be quite frank, her low-level stature of being an LA-based cabaret singer just didn't register on my pop-culture radar. Thus, I fail to see how Amanda Gari is anything resembling a "celebrity."

For roughly the last 20-25 years of its existence, the aforementioned FOTR (Friends of Old Time Radio) convention hosted Ms. Gari and she was always accompanied by her son Brian, who parlayed his appearance into being a major FOTR player with his annual "Singers Saturday" panel which featured singers, musicians, and songwriters from both the 1940s/50s OTR era and the 1960s "Brill Building" era; most of the guests were culled from Brian's numerous showbiz connections.

Please note that I originally wrote "More as this develops"; however, since a comprehensive print obituary never eventuated itself, I was unable to revisit this thread. Had there been a write-up, which, I imagine, would have included Amanda's name, I would have cut-and-pasted such as a follow-up.