Rick Hall, 85, music producer (PSledge, Aretha, Etta, WPickett, et. al.)
2018-01-02 22:51:53 UTC
http://www.waff.com/story/37173873/father-of-muscle-shoals-music-dead-at-85

'Father of Muscle Shoals Music' dead at 85

Published: Tuesday, January 2nd 2018, 10:34 am EST
Updated: Tuesday, January 2nd 2018, 4:23 pm EST

By Amanda Jarrett, Producer

(WAFF)
-
Roe Erister “Rick” Hall died Tuesday morning. He was best known as the “Father of Muscle Shoals Music.”

Hall owned FAME studios in Muscle Shoals and is credited as the founder of the modern-day Muscle Shoals Sound. The documentary “Muscle Shoals” focused on Hall’s life and music accomplishments.

Hall licensed Percy Sledge’s “When a Man Loves a Woman. He also worked with Aretha Franklin, Etta James, and Wilson Picket, The Osmonds, Paul Anka, Tom Jones, Liza Minelli, and the Gatlin Brothers.

Hall’s awards include a Grammy for Producer of the Year, Billboard’s Producer of the Year for the World, a Grammy Trustee Award, and induction into the Alabama Music Hall of Fame.

Fame studios reports funeral services will be Friday at Highland Park Baptist Church. Visitation is at noon. Services at 2 p.m.
MJ Emigh
2018-01-02 23:48:15 UTC
'Father of Muscle Shoals Music' dead at 85
I just heard Arthur Conley's "Sweet Soul Music" on my way home. I had forgotten what a dynamic record that was but can't imagine how I had ever forgotten. Rick Hall was talking after it (obviously prerecorded) and said that Otis brought the song to him, convinced it was a hit. There was no mention that it was pretty much a re-write of a Sam Cooke song. Oh, well. Details....