Daryl Easton, 61, magician/illusionist -- suicide at LA's Magic Castle
2017-02-25 15:03:31 UTC
http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/magician-daryl-easton-found-dead-hollywood-magic-castle-article-1.2981928

Magician Daryl Easton found dead at Hollywood's Magic Castle

BY Chris Sommerfeldt

NEW YORK DAILY NEWS
Updated: Saturday, February 25, 2017, 8:56 AM

Daryl Easton, a magician widely renowned for his card tricks, was tragically found dead inside a closet at the iconic Magic Castle in Los Angeles on Friday night — and authorities have ruled his death a suicide.

Cops responded to the exclusive Hollywood magicians' club and fine dining restaurant after receiving a report of a dead body around 7:30 p.m. local time, officials said.

A Hollywood police spokesman told the Daily News that employees at the club discovered the 61-year-old magician dead inside a closet, wearing only his underwear. He had a bag over his head and appeared to have hanged himself, the spokesman added.

The Magic Castle, an upscale Hollywood Hills eatery that hosts magic shows and specifically caters to magicians and illusionists, acknowledged Easton's passing early Saturday.

"A beloved illusionist, who was performing at the Magic Castle this week, was found dead on the club's premises," the Castle, which opened its doors in 1963, said in a statement. "The magic community mourns the loss of one of our most beloved and talented performers."

Easton was apparently supposed to perform a show right around the time his body was discovered, sources told NBC Los Angeles. He was a beloved regular at the legendary venue and frequented its events for years, both as a performer and a visitor.

In his final Facebook post, Easton sent his wishes to those affected by the deadly storm that slammed southern California last week.

"Thinking of all our SoCal friends," he wrote in the Feb. 18 post. "Stay safe in this storm! I'll be heading down that way myself tomorrow for a week at The Magic Castle."

Known as "The Magician's Magician" among professionals, Easton invented a number of famous card tricks, including the "Hot Shot Cut" and the "Ultimate Ambition."

Easton was a staple of the Las Vegas magic scene for years before moving back to his native California in 2003. One of career high points was performing at the inauguration celebration of President George W. Bush in 2001.

Fellow magicians across the world mourned Easton's passing early Saturday.

"Sending lots of love to the magic community tonight!" Comedy Central magician Joel Ward tweeted.

"Until and forever Daryl Easton...We always remember you like 'The Magician's Magician,' " a self-described illusionist from Venezuela said over Twitter.
MJ Emigh
2017-02-25 15:36:54 UTC
Here's a short bio on Daryl for those interested. He was, until a few years ago, Daryl Martinez, although professionally he used only his first name in most cases. He was a good guy and we'll miss him.

He specializes in card tricks, close-up and parlor magic. Two of his most famous contributions to magic are the Hot Shot Cut*, a knuckle-busting sleight where the spectator's chosen card spins like a boomerang out of the deck, and the Ultimate Ambition* trick which allows a card to be inserted fairly into the middle of a deck and yet appear back on top.

Daryl has won the gold medal at the FISM magic world championship in Card Magic for his ambitious card routine.

He is well known to magicians as the presenter of many teach-in video series for L&L Publishing, including Daryl's Card Revelations, Encyclopedia of Card Sleights, FoolerDoolers, and Daryl's Ambitious Card Video.

His wife, Alison Easton, was the first woman to be inducted into The Magic Circle.
MJ Emigh
2017-02-26 19:36:25 UTC
Update: Daryl's death has been ruled accidental rather than suicide. In a very small way, that does take away some of the sadness held by those of us who knew him. Anyone who has been touched by suicide understands this.

Unfortunately, I don't know how to change the headline here. I've seen it done, so I do know that it's possible. If anyone here can and would do that, eliminating the suicide announcement, it would be greatly appreciated.
c***@aol.com
2017-02-26 20:08:28 UTC
How do you accidentally hang yourself? You'd have to be a complete idiot.
Sarah Ehrett
2017-02-26 20:27:04 UTC
Post by c***@aol.com
How do you accidentally hang yourself? You'd have to be a complete idiot.
Erotic asphyxiation gone too far would be an accidental hanging.
Didn't they suspect David Carradine die that way?
Bryan Styble
2017-02-26 20:38:05 UTC
I find it hard to believe a longtime professional--"the magician's magician", for G-d's sake!--would pick as hallowed ground as The Magic Castle to engage in, ahem, auto-erotic behavior of any sort, Sarah! And not even in a dressing room, but in a dressing AREA concealed by a mere curtain?

At least Carradine had the decency to do it in a hotel room!

STYBLE/Florida
Anglo Saxon
2017-02-27 01:26:20 UTC
Post by Bryan Styble
I find it hard to believe a longtime professional--"the magician's
magician", for G-d's sake!-->
Post by Bryan Styble
STYBLE/Florida
A magician can't be very good if he accidentally hangs himself. lol Maybe
he sawed himself in half but didn't mean to.
David Carson
2017-02-27 04:06:07 UTC
Post by Bryan Styble
STYBLE/Florida
A magician can't be very good if he accidentally hangs himself. lol Maybe
he sawed himself in half but didn't mean to.
Somebody switched his trick rope for a real one!

... but who?

... and why?

Tonight, on Columbo:
"The Magician Who Hanged Himself"
A Quinn Martin Production

"Just one more thing ..."

Bryan Styble
2017-02-26 20:11:56 UTC
There seems reason to be dubious about this "accidental" ruling--the magician supposedly had a BAG over his head, for Heaven's sake! And is anyone taking seriously the possibility of someone doing him in for having "broken the code"?

Oh, and MJ Emigh kindly note: when others change headings, they often seem to end up with that pesky "Re:" text, or some such annoying sequence.

BRYAN STYBLE/Florida
Sarah Ehrett
2017-02-26 20:33:15 UTC
Post by MJ Emigh
Update: Daryl's death has been ruled accidental rather than suicide. In a very small way, that does take away some of the sadness held by those of us who knew him. Anyone who has been touched by suicide understands this.
It also helps with any insurance claims.
Post by MJ Emigh
Unfortunately, I don't know how to change the headline here. I've seen it done, so I do know that it's possible. If anyone here can and would do that, eliminating the suicide announcement, it would be greatly appreciated.
MJ, Probably the best way to do this is to start a new Usenet post
[ you will be starting a new thread as well] and for the Subject line
write:

UPDATE: Daryl Easton, magician/illusionist -- suicide ruled
accidental.

That should do it. HTH.