50 year death anniversary of Nguyen Van Lem, commie murderer
J.D. Baldwin
2018-02-02 12:39:48 UTC
Missed this death anniversary yesterday (Feb. 1).

On February 1, 1968, VC Captain Nguyen Van Lem (I'm not going to try
to render the diacriticals) was summarily executed in the street in
Saigon by General Nguyen Ngoc Loan. Lem had just been arrested near a
mass grave of 34 civilians, including the wives, elderly mothers and
young children of South Vietnamese army officers. Lem proudly
admitted the murders and Loan shot him in the head with his .38
special.

The execution was captured in a famous still photograph by AP
photographer Eddie Adams. Because context does not appear in the
photographs, the image became an icon of *South Vietnamese* brutality
and fueled the U.S. anti-war movement.

The necessary diacriticals aren't likely to render in your news
reader, so I suggest you search for "Nguyen Van Lem" and read the
Wikipedia page, which is a pretty good summary of the event.
2018-02-02 15:05:54 UTC
I’m trying to think of another photo that had more implications that were false than that one?
David Carson
2018-02-02 17:19:15 UTC
On Fri, 2 Feb 2018 12:39:48 +0000 (UTC),
Post by J.D. Baldwin
The execution was captured in a famous still photograph by AP
photographer Eddie Adams. Because context does not appear in the
photographs, the image became an icon of *South Vietnamese* brutality
and fueled the U.S. anti-war movement.
The necessary diacriticals aren't likely to render in your news
reader, so I suggest you search for "Nguyen Van Lem" and read the
Wikipedia page, which is a pretty good summary of the event.
The killing was also recorded on film. There is a video here:

that shows the film and explains the event in context. (Caution: it is
VERY graphic.) It also includes film of the well-known "Napalm girl."

I think one of the biggest reasons the photograph is so powerful isn't
because a man was being executed on the street, or because an unarmed
man in handcuffs was being executed on the street, but because an
unarmed, handcuffed man _in a casual shirt_ was being executed on the
street. The film even shows that he was barefoot and wearing shorts.
The brain processes that as "just some random guy, possibly a
tourist," whether you want it to or not.