Bob Keeshan, Captain Kangaroo, 76
Maggie
2004-01-23 17:30:44 UTC
Fri. Jan. 23 2004 12:22 PM ET

Bob Keeshan, 'Captain Kangaroo', dies at age 76
CTV.ca News Staff

Bob Keeshan, the friendly face of Captain Kangaroo, has died at the age of 76.
He died in Vermont, where he lived.

The man with the bushy mustache and big pockets was a hit with children for 30
years as Captain Kangaroo. He produced and acted in the show, which ran from
1955 to 1985.
Before portraying the Captain, Keeshan was a sidekick on the Howdy Doodie show
where he played Clarabell the Clown.

Upon his retirement, he became a lobbyist on behalf of children's issues and
favoured tighter controls on the tobacco industry.

Keeshan was born on Long Island, N.Y., on June 27, 1927. After serving in the
marines in World War II, he joined NBC as a job page.

He began his television career as Clarabell for NBC-TV's Howdy Doody Show,
which ran from 1947-52.

He also appeared as Corny the Clown from 1953 to 1955, and Tinker the Toymaker
from 1954 to 55 before starring in Captain Kangaroo.

He married in 1950 and had three children.

Maggie

"Here’s a quick note from the estate of the late Senator Strom Thurmond –
Happy Kwanzaa!" -- Jay Leno
Rob Petrie
2004-01-23 17:42:42 UTC
x-no-archive: yes
Post by Maggie
[...]
"Howdy Doody" ran from 1947-1960. Keeshan was 'Clarabell' only for
those years you mentioned with Lew Anderson taking over in 1953 to 1960,
when "Howdy" ended its 13-yr. run.
Post by Maggie
He also appeared as Corny the Clown from 1953 to 1955, and Tinker the Toymaker
from 1954 to 55 before starring in Captain Kangaroo.
He married in 1950 and had three children.
Robert Keeshan, 76 June 27, 1927 (Lynbrook, L.I., NY - Jan. 23,
2004[?] Vermont)

R.I.P.
Bill Schenley
2004-01-24 06:53:48 UTC
Post by Rob Petrie
"Howdy Doody" ran from 1947-1960. Keeshan was
'Clarabell' only for those years you mentioned with Lew
Anderson taking over in 1953 to 1960, when "Howdy"
ended its 13-yr. run.
Lew Anderson was the last Clarabell. In between Keeshan and
Anderson, Henry McLaughlin and Bobby Nickelson also were
Clarabells. Edwin Alberian was Clarabell when Buffalo Bob
made public appearances.

Lew Anderson was a pretty fair alto sax player. When the
Clarabell gig was over ... he went back to music.

http://www.songandstorypress.com/cds.html

When he got to old for the sax ... he went back to being
Clarabell ... at stuff like ... super market openings.
dgh

R.I.P.
James Neibaur
2004-01-23 17:49:47 UTC
First Ray Rayner now Captain Kangaroo.

This is awful news

I learned to read at the age of three because of the Captain.

JN
Volfie, Jackson Slayer
2004-01-23 18:05:03 UTC
Post by James Neibaur
First Ray Rayner now Captain Kangaroo.
This is awful news
I learned to read at the age of three because of the Captain.
JN
Ah, I grew up with him, too. :(

I remember that the song "Red Red Robin" was my first taste of music I could
actually sing (on key) as well as remember all the words to. And I remember
the little robin puppet they used to illustrate the song. Isn't it strange
what will strike you and stay with you for sooooo many years?

Giselle (and I still miss Mr. Greenjeans)
StellaStar
2004-01-23 19:15:22 UTC
Post by Volfie, Jackson Slayer
Isn't it strange
what will strike you and stay with you for sooooo many years?
Giselle (and I still miss Mr. Greenjeans)
Me too, though I see there's a prevalent urban legend that Mr Greenjeans was
played by Frank Zappa's father. How do these stupid things start?

Extra points for whoever first can name the musical piece that was the
Captain's original theme.
James Neibaur
2004-01-23 19:17:04 UTC
Post by StellaStar
I see there's a prevalent urban legend that Mr Greenjeans was
played by Frank Zappa's father.
Oh god that is hilarious!

JN
Nana NJ
2004-01-23 19:51:09 UTC
I was shocked when I read his death on my WebTV (MSNTV) homepage and
came straight over here. Not that I don't trust my home page (it's
connected, not surprisingly, with MSNBC) but I guess to see if there
were any posts. I suppose if I hadn't seen the posts, it wouldn't have
been true.

I was already reading (just) but he brightened up many a morning for me
and I couldn't wait to turn on his show.

Thank you, Captain Kangaroo.

RIP

Nana

Write a wise saying and your name will live forever.
Anonymous
R H Draney
2004-01-23 20:00:59 UTC
Post by StellaStar
Me too, though I see there's a prevalent urban legend that Mr Greenjeans was
played by Frank Zappa's father. How do these stupid things start?
This one started because Frank made a flip remark in some album liner notes
referring to himself as "son of mister green-genes"....r
C.L. Lassiter
2004-01-23 20:22:23 UTC
Post by StellaStar
Extra points for whoever first can name the musical piece that was the
Captain's original theme.
No clue, but when I saw this thread, I started trying to remember the name
of Tom Terrific's dog. I can't. Please refresh my memory.

cl
EvelynMcH
2004-01-23 20:45:19 UTC
Post by C.L. Lassiter
No clue, but when I saw this thread, I started trying to remember the name
of Tom Terrific's dog. I can't. Please refresh my memory.
Wasn't it Manfred the Wonder Dog, or something like that?

-=>epm<=-

In matters of truth and justice,
there is no difference between large and small problems,
for issues concerning the treatment of people are all the same.
- Albert Einstein
James Neibaur
2004-01-23 21:13:46 UTC
Post by EvelynMcH
Post by C.L. Lassiter
No clue, but when I saw this thread, I started trying to remember the name
of Tom Terrific's dog. I can't. Please refresh my memory.
Wasn't it Manfred the Wonder Dog, or something like that?
Mighty Manfred the Wonder Dog. I can still remember the song he sang (as
well as Crabby Appleton's theme), but I can't remember where I put my keys
each morning.

JN
EvelynMcH
2004-01-23 21:30:15 UTC
Post by James Neibaur
Mighty Manfred the Wonder Dog. I can still remember the song he sang (as
well as Crabby Appleton's theme), but I can't remember where I put my keys
each morning.
I can't believe I pulled that name out of my head, either. Reading the obits, I
realized I was seven months old when the Captain started on TV. It's probably
so encoded in my brain I'll be talking to Mr. Moose and Bunny as they wheel me
in the dribble bib down the halls at the home....

Does anyone know if the cartoons are available anywhere? I'd love to be able to
show them to my kids....

- Albert Einstein
Rob Petrie
2004-01-23 21:43:13 UTC
x-no-archive: yes
Post by James Neibaur
Post by EvelynMcH
Post by C.L. Lassiter
No clue, but when I saw this thread, I started trying to remember the name
of Tom Terrific's dog. I can't. Please refresh my memory.
Wasn't it Manfred the Wonder Dog, or something like that?
Mighty Manfred the Wonder Dog. I can still remember the song he sang (as
well as Crabby Appleton's theme), but I can't remember where I put my keys
each morning.
And I've never forgotten the immortal Crabby Appleton: he was 'rotten to
the core'!
I don't remember his theme, but I've always loved that description of
him--I used to say that about some people who started getting antaganistic
with me when I was young.

'Tom T-e-r-r-i-f-i-c'!

and

"Here I come to save the day!"
--'Mighty Mouse'

"...he's got the situation well in hand!"
--end of the 'Mighty Mouse' theme

We'll never forget you, Captain!
R H Draney
2004-01-23 21:06:43 UTC
Post by EvelynMcH
Post by C.L. Lassiter
No clue, but when I saw this thread, I started trying to remember the name
of Tom Terrific's dog. I can't. Please refresh my memory.
Wasn't it Manfred the Wonder Dog, or something like that?
"Mighty Manfred" was how Tom usually referred to him....

Right now my head keeps running a picture of Mike Mulligan and his steam shovel,
both of them with their heads hanging....r
Janice Brooks
2004-01-23 23:55:27 UTC
Post by C.L. Lassiter
No clue, but when I saw this thread, I started trying to remember the name
of Tom Terrific's dog. I can't. Please refresh my memory.
Wasn't it Manfred the Wonder Dog, or something like that?

How many of us remember Lariet Sam?
BUS Janice
How do you feel about tight radio playlists?
http://www.petitiononline.com/mod_perl/signed.cgi?BBCM58
Laurie D. T. Mann
2004-01-24 00:22:10 UTC
Post by EvelynMcH
Post by C.L. Lassiter
No clue, but when I saw this thread, I started trying to remember the name
of Tom Terrific's dog. I can't. Please refresh my memory.
Wasn't it Manfred the Wonder Dog, or something like that?
I think you're right.

I never was a big fan of Captain Kangaroo, but I liked the story time,
especially "Mike Mulligan and His Steam Shovel" and "Stone Soup."
Nope.
James Neibaur
2004-01-24 01:28:28 UTC
Post by Janice Brooks
How many of us remember Lariet Sam?
I do

JN
The Kentucky Wizard
2004-01-24 01:44:59 UTC
Post by EvelynMcH
Post by C.L. Lassiter
of Tom Terrific's dog. I can't. Please refresh my memory.
Wasn't it Manfred the Wonder Dog, or something like that?
It was technically; "Mighty Manfred the Wonder Dog".
--
© The Wiz ®
James Neibaur
2004-01-23 21:16:47 UTC
Post by StellaStar
Extra points for whoever first can name the musical piece that was the
Captain's original theme.
Puffin Billy

JN
StellaStar
2004-01-24 04:07:19 UTC
Post by James Neibaur
Post by StellaStar
Captain's original theme.
Puffin Billy
Bravo! It took a bit of searching, but here's a clickable link for the song,
which you'll recognize instantly. Go near the bottom of this page (which for
some reason is about Brit Children's Classics) and click on the little
radio/speaker picture...

http://www.whirligig-tv.co.uk/radio/childrensfav.htm
Rob Petrie
Louisiana Lou
That's been happening ever since The Beaver got killed in Vietnam.
James Neibaur
2004-01-23 21:25:21 UTC
Post by Louisiana Lou
That's been happening ever since The Beaver got killed in Vietnam.
and of course Alice Cooper, who played Eddie Haskell, sure was sad to hear
that.

JN
Rob Petrie
2004-01-23 21:45:00 UTC
x-no-archive: yes
Post by StellaStar
played by Frank Zappa's father. How do these stupid things start?
That's been happening ever since The Beaver got killed in Vietnam.
Didn't you hear the real story--Eddie Haskell was drafted when he was a
policeman in L.A., and rescued the Beav from almost certain death.
James Neibaur
2004-01-23 23:03:43 UTC
Louisiana Lou
2004-01-24 13:27:53 UTC
Post by James Neibaur
Post by Rob Petrie
Post by Louisiana Lou
That's been happening ever since The Beaver got killed in Vietnam.
Didn't you hear the real story--Eddie Haskell was drafted when he was a
policeman in L.A., and rescued the Beav from almost certain death.
Of course that is just after Eddie's stint as Johnny "Wad' Holmes in a
serious of porno films, and long after he recorded the albums School's Out
and Billion Dollar Babies.
JN
I recall Wally and the Beaver making an appearance on an early SNL, and Bill
Murray mentioned the rumor. Tony Dow looked at Mathers and asked,

"Hey Beav, whatcha wanna start some stupid rumor like that for?"

"Well, gee Wally...I thought nobody remembered me anymore."

Something like that. Funny stuff.
James Neibaur
2004-01-24 13:44:09 UTC
Post by Louisiana Lou
I recall Wally and the Beaver making an appearance on an early SNL, and Bill
Murray mentioned the rumor. Tony Dow looked at Mathers and asked,
"Hey Beav, whatcha wanna start some stupid rumor like that for?"
"Well, gee Wally...I thought nobody remembered me anymore."
Something like that. Funny stuff.
Now that you mention it, I remember seeing that too.

JN
Mpoconnor7
2004-01-25 11:04:37 UTC
Post by Louisiana Lou
Murray mentioned the rumor. Tony Dow looked at Mathers and asked,
"Hey Beav, whatcha wanna start some stupid rumor like that for?"
"Well, gee Wally...I thought nobody remembered me anymore."
Something like that. Funny stuff.
Now that you mention it, I remember seeing that too.
I remember the SCTV episode where they had the Leave it to Beaver 25th
Anniversary show, which was one of the funniest parodies I've ever seen. John
Candy was playing the adult Beaver, and Joe Flaharty was playing a perpetually
drunken Ward Cleaver (who poured booze on his shreaded wheat in the morining).
At one point in his drunken stupor, Ward tells the Beaver (and I'm
paraphrasing) "For the longest time, I thought you were killed in Vietnam."

Michael O'Connor - Modern Renaissance Man

"The likelihood of one individual being correct increases in a direct
proportion to the intensity with which others try to prove him wrong"
James Mason from the movie "Heaven Can Wait".
James Neibaur
2004-01-25 14:10:05 UTC
Post by Mpoconnor7
I remember the SCTV episode where they had the Leave it to Beaver 25th
Anniversary show, which was one of the funniest parodies I've ever seen. John
Candy was playing the adult Beaver, and Joe Flaharty was playing a perpetually
drunken Ward Cleaver (who poured booze on his shreaded wheat in the morining).
At one point in his drunken stupor, Ward tells the Beaver (and I'm
paraphrasing) "For the longest time, I thought you were killed in Vietnam."
Another flashback that I suddenly remember having seen. I had forgotten all
about these parodies, and they were indeed quite funny.

JN

Markshark989
2004-01-24 00:38:57 UTC
Post by James Neibaur
First Ray Rayner now Captain Kangaroo.
This is awful news
I learned to read at the age of three because of the Captain.
JN
This has been a bad couple of years for children's TV performers: Roy Brown
(Cooky of "Bozo's Circus"), Mr. Rogers, Matt Robinson (the original Gordon of
"Sesame Street"), Ray Rayner and The Captain.

Just another reminder that we're all getting older every day. I remember over
20 years ago when I would see an obituary for some performer who was before my
time and who I didn't remember...like Jack Thumb The Clown or someone like
that...and they would be lovingly remembered by all these people whose lives
they touched...but it really didn't make an impression on me because I didn't
remember them, and all of *my* heroes were alive and well.

But now I understand. :(
EvelynMcH
2004-01-23 18:25:01 UTC
Post by James Neibaur
I learned to read at the age of three because of the Captain.
Same here. I think there were more than a few children of the 1950's and 60's
that owe a portion to their love of books to the Captain reading to them in the
wee hours of the morning.

Having lost him and Fred Rodgers, I have to wonder who the kinder, gentler
voices for children our kids will remember as we remember them....

- Albert Einstein
James Neibaur
2004-01-23 19:16:37 UTC
Post by EvelynMcH
Post by James Neibaur
I learned to read at the age of three because of the Captain.
Same here. I think there were more than a few children of the 1950's and 60's
that owe a portion to their love of books to the Captain reading to them in the
wee hours of the morning.
Having lost him and Fred Rodgers, I have to wonder who the kinder, gentler
voices for children our kids will remember as we remember them....
I met Keeshan at a Chicago appearance back in 1989 or so. I was thankful to
actually tell him to his face how much his program helped me learn to read,
etc., when I was three and four years old.

RIP

JN
f***@earthlink.net
2004-01-23 20:33:20 UTC
This one is absolutely depressing. He is the LAST vestage of great
childrens programming gone. And he was a large part of my early
childhood......pre Sesame Street.

Several months ago when Mr. Rogers died, I tried to find a contact for
the Captain to see if he would post something on Cemetery Shop. I
though that would be the greatest compliment to Mr. Rogers.
Well, the internet failed me.

If anyone here has a contact address for Condolences, PLEASE post it
as I am sure there are a lot of us who would send them.

Damn.....................
Corby Gilmore
2004-01-24 05:02:53 UTC
Post by EvelynMcH
Post by James Neibaur
I learned to read at the age of three because of the Captain.
Same here. I think there were more than a few children of the 1950's and 60's
that owe a portion to their love of books to the Captain reading to them in the
wee hours of the morning.
Having lost him and Fred Rodgers, I have to wonder who the kinder, gentler
voices for children our kids will remember as we remember them....
Michael Jackson???
--
Corby Gilmore
***@ncf.ca
Rob Petrie
I got 2 words to say in reply to your reply, Corby: Beat it!
The Kentucky Wizard
2004-01-23 21:05:06 UTC
Post by James Neibaur
First Ray Rayner now Captain Kangaroo.
This is awful news
I learned to read at the age of three because of the Captain.
JN
So long, Captain.
RIP.
--
© The Wiz ®
Kathy
2004-01-23 21:09:52 UTC
Post by Maggie
Fri. Jan. 23 2004 12:22 PM ET
Bob Keeshan, 'Captain Kangaroo', dies at age 76
CTV.ca News Staff
This is depressing.

Goodbye, Captain.

My condolences to his family and friends.

Kathy Wajerski
The Kentucky Wizard
2004-01-23 21:11:00 UTC
Fri. Jan. 23 2004 12:22 PM ETÂ
Bob Keeshan, 'Captain Kangaroo', dies at age 76
CTV.ca News Staff
Here's a pic of the Captain and Mr. Rogers together:

© The Wiz ®
Mk40
2004-01-23 21:53:12 UTC
Post by Maggie
Fri. Jan. 23 2004 12:22 PM ET
Bob Keeshan, 'Captain Kangaroo', dies at age 76
CTV.ca News Staff
Bob Keeshan, the friendly face of Captain Kangaroo, has died at the age of 76.
He died in Vermont, where he lived.
I was surprised he was only 76. I would have thought he was
a lot older than that. That means he was only in his late
twenties when Captain Kangaroo started in 1955.
R H Draney
2004-01-23 22:40:22 UTC
Post by Mk40
I was surprised he was only 76. I would have thought he was
a lot older than that. That means he was only in his late
twenties when Captain Kangaroo started in 1955.
Yeah, at one point, I think around 1980 or so, I read an interview in which he
casually mentioned that it was taking less and less makeup to make him look
properly avuncular as the Captain....

Anybody remember why he used the name "Kangaroo"?...I do....

(I think I'm going to have to get out my tape of "The Stupids" tonight...without
actual episodes of his show to watch it's about the best I can do by way of
observance)....r
Louisiana Lou