Remember the Alamo - 6 March 1836
2017-03-06 18:35:33 UTC
On this day 181 years ago, the Mexican army commanded by Generalissimo
Antonio Lopez de Santa Ana at San Antonio, Texas attacked a garrison
of fewer than 200 Texian defenders, led by Lt. Colonel William Barrett
Travis, following a 13-day siege. All of the defenders were killed, but
Santa Ana lost up to a thousand men in the battle. News of the defenders'
bravery and valor spread, inspiring men to come to the aid of the Texian
cause.

Six weeks later, the Texian army led by General Sam Houston defeated
Santa Ana in a surprise attack at San Jacinto, near present-day
Houston. Their battle cry: "Remember the Alamo!"

Dead or Alive Data Base
http://www.doadb.com
Bryan Styble
2017-03-06 20:38:27 UTC
Glad to see you noting this commemoration, David, as I--as I suppose does nearly everyone who has visited The Alamo in downtown San Antone--do every March.

When checking to confirm if Santa Anna's principal* name is invariably spelled with two Ns (as indeed it is), I was astonished to learn that he spent part of his late-life exile living in New York City!

* In full, he had one of those wacky multi-family Latin American names: Antonio de Padua Maria Severino Lopez de Santa Anna y Perez de Lebron (with a bunch of pesky diacritical marks littering the seemingly-endless sequence).
David Carson
2017-03-06 23:59:47 UTC
On Mon, 6 Mar 2017 12:38:27 -0800 (PST), Bryan Styble
Post by Bryan Styble
Glad to see you noting this commemoration, David, as I--as I suppose does nearly everyone who has visited The Alamo in downtown San Antone--do every March.
When checking to confirm if Santa Anna's principal* name is invariably spelled with two Ns (as indeed it is), I was astonished to learn that he spent part of his late-life exile living in New York City!
Perhaps even more astonishing - yet true - is the fact that while there,
he introduced chewing gum to Thomas Adams, who was the first person to
manufacture and sell it commercially.

http://historybecauseitshere.weebly.com/general-santa-anna-chicle-and-chewing-gum.html