Dee Pollock, film & TV actor, 68
d***@comcast.net
2006-01-01 19:20:14 UTC
Actor in featured TV and movie roles dies in Chico
By GREG WELTER - Staff Writer

Dee Pollock, a character actor with hundreds of featured television and
movie roles over a 35-year career, died Tuesday at his home in Chico, a
family member said.
Pollock was 68.

He was born in Alhambra in 1937 and began landing roles in movies at
the age of 6, said his sister, Rowana Trott of Bellevue, Wash.

He resided in Southern California until 1989, when he moved to Chico to
care for his mother, who is now 96 and still lives in the area.

Pollock was best known for his work in television, mostly Westerns and
action dramas.

Between 1950 and 1970 he made regular guest appearances on "Rawhide,"
"Wagon Train," "The Lone Ranger," "The Mod Squad," "The Fugitive,"
"Combat!," "Gunsmoke" and "Bonanza."

He had a recurring role on the short-lived series "Johnny Ringo" in
1959 and 1960. Because of his youthful appearance, Pollock played
numerous parts much younger than his actual age.

For unknown reasons, the actor's last name in credits was sometimes
spelled Pollack.

Family members said Pollock still has a fan base and heard from them on
a regular basis.

Pollock's film credits include roles in the 1970 combat feature
"Kelly's Heroes," and, in 1956, the film adaptation of Rodger's and
Hammersteins musical "Carousel."

In later life, Pollock turned his talents to writing

poetry and music.
His poems, which friend and filmmaker Ruth Delph said may soon be
published, favor the pacing and socially influenced themes of beat
generation writers like Jack Kerouac, Allen Ginsberg and Lawrence
Ferlinghetti.

If acting was Pollock's early passion, a Hindu religion based on the
spiritual presence of Babaji, an ancient figure cast as the Yogi-Christ
of Modern India, became his calling.

Pollock frequently visited a retreat on Kauai run by a Hawaii-based
group of Babaji followers, and was regarded as having achieved a high
station in the spiritual order.

Delph said news of Pollock's death was noted by the Dalai Lama in
Tibet, where he asked followers of Hinduism to pray in his memory.

She said Pollock's body will be cremated on Kauai and his ashes
scattered in a river there.

"Dee was devoted to helping people get through the traumas in their
lives," Delph said.

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0689651/
d***@comcast.net
2006-01-01 19:23:55 UTC
Picture of him as a kid-

http://www.geocities.com/~Loading Image...
Matthew Kruk
2006-01-01 19:33:55 UTC
For those who've seen the movie: Pvt. Jonesey
Rob Petrie
2006-01-02 05:10:48 UTC
x-no-archive: yes
Post by Matthew Kruk
Post by d***@comcast.net
Pollock's film credits include roles in the 1970 combat feature
"Kelly's Heroes," ...
For those who've seen the movie: Pvt. Jonesey
I don't remember that character's name off-hand. I'd probably recognize
him if I saw the film the next time I see it.
Sorry to hear of his passing at only 68.

He was 33 at the time of "Kelly's Heroes" (1970), one of my favorite
films.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0065938/fullcredits

'Burning Bridges' was a great theme song for any film, and it especially
fits this film (The Mike Curb Congregation), and a great actor (and famous
libertarian), Clint Eastwood.
The film had one of the best casts ever assembled with both future
greats in tv/movies and great character actors.

I looked up 'Pvt. Babra' ("barbara" as Telly Savalas ['Big Joe']
hilariously called him), and that actor (Gene Collins) was already 38 then!
These guys would have been rejected in the real WW2 as being too old to
be drafted, I'll bet!
John Landis was an uncredited production assistant.

"That crazy Mulligan is droppin' them [bombs] all over the place!"
--'Crapgame' (Don Rickles)

---

Tregembo
2006-01-02 05:23:53 UTC
and a great actor (and famous libertarian), Clint Eastwood.
IIRC you've mentioned this before. Has Eastwood ever stated he's a
Libertarian or is this just supposition on your part because he keeps his
politics close to his vest?

Eastwood Republican: applies for a variance to build on his restaurant and
is denied. Gets elected Mayor to override denial.

Eastwood Democrat: supports Gov. Arnold's film tax incentive bill,
potentially (if passed, it wasn't) adding $100 million a year in deficit
spending.

Eastwood Republican: has sex and child with woman half his age.

Eastwood Democrat: marries woman first. :)

Ray Arthur
Rob Petrie
2006-01-02 07:55:16 UTC
x-no-archive: yes
Post by Tregembo
and a great actor (and famous libertarian), Clint Eastwood.
IIRC you've mentioned this before. Has Eastwood ever stated he's a
Libertarian
http://www.theadvocates.org/celebrities.html

http://www.theadvocates.org/celebrities/clint-eastwood.html
Clint Eastwood
Post by Tregembo
or is this just supposition on your part because he keeps his politics
close to his vest?
Nope! I wouldn't dare presuppose somebody is a "libertarian" just
because he doesn't say anything. And Clint Eastwood in particular has not
kept his politics "close to his vest" for many years now.
He has 'outed' himself years ago as a full-fledged libertarian, as the
above web site and quotes prove.
I hope this answers your question sufficiently for all time on Mr.
Eastwood's strongly-held libertarian view.

"...'I like the libertarian view, which is to leave everyone alone'.
The quote confirmed that Eastwood is not just one of Hollywood's most
honored and longest-lasting stars, but perhaps America's highest-profile
libertarian."
(quote in 'USA Today', Jan. 25, 2004)
http://www.theadvocates.org/celebrities/clint-eastwood.html

"I have a reverence for individuality... I've always considered myself
too individualistic to be either right-wing or left-wing."
--Clint Eastwood ('Hello' magazine, UK)

Playboy magazine: "How would you characterize yourself politically?"

Clint Eastwood: "Libertarian... Everyone leaves everyone else alone."
('Playboy' magazine, March 1997)

"Abuse of power isn't limited to bad guys in other nations. It happens
in our own country if we're not vigilant. Those in power get jaded, deluded,
and seduced by power itself."
--Clint Eastwood ('Parade' magazine, Jan. 12, 1997)
Post by Tregembo
Eastwood Republican: applies for a variance to build on his restaurant
and is denied. Gets elected Mayor to override denial.
Huh? He's a libertarian!
Post by Tregembo
Eastwood Republican: has sex and child with woman half his age.
Huh???
Post by Tregembo
Eastwood Democrat: marries woman first. :)
Huh???

Advocates For Self-Government
http://www.theadvocates.org

http://www.theadvocates.org/quiz.html
QUIZ
Terry del Fuego
2006-01-02 17:52:14 UTC
On Mon, 02 Jan 2006 07:55:16 GMT, "An Unemployed Eight-Year-Old Girl"
Post by Rob Petrie
http://www.theadvocates.org/celebrities/clint-eastwood.html
At no point in this article or anything else I've read does he align
himself with the actual party.

I also find it interesting that the above article can't find any
quotes older than 1997 when in fact he's been saying much the same
thing for considerably longer.
Tregembo
2006-01-04 06:29:19 UTC
Post by Rob Petrie
x-no-archive: yes
Post by Tregembo
[...]
Interesting. So Clint, philosophically, is a libertarian thinker. As many
of us are, on selected subjects. I'd be interested in knowing if he ever
wasted any of his votes on your party.

Ray Arthur
Rob Petrie
2006-01-04 16:42:22 UTC
x-no-archive: yes
Post by Tregembo
Post by Rob Petrie
x-no-archive: yes
Post by Tregembo
[...]
He, as many of us are, is consistently libertarian on all subjects.
As were the Founders who founded this formerly-great nation that is
rapidly copying the Europeans in their Big Goverment mentality--who are
Founders warned against getting embroiled in their never-ending wars.
Post by Tregembo
I'd be interested in knowing if he ever wasted any of his votes on your
party.
Wrong attitude, Ray!
A person never "wastes" a vote for something he steadfastly believes
in instead of only a chance to "win." And what DOES a person "win" by (only
possibly) voting for the actual "winner" anyway, esp. when the "winner"
doesn't have a consistent philosophy in how he/she will vote?
Tregembo
2006-01-05 04:39:06 UTC
Post by Rob Petrie
He, as many of us are, is consistently libertarian on all subjects.
As were the Founders who founded this formerly-great nation that is
rapidly copying the Europeans in their Big Goverment mentality--who are
Founders warned against getting embroiled in their never-ending wars.
Really, you have the whole dossier?
Post by Rob Petrie
Post by Tregembo
I'd be interested in knowing if he ever wasted any of his votes on your
party.
Wrong attitude, Ray!
A person never "wastes" a vote for something he steadfastly believes
in instead of only a chance to "win." And what DOES a person "win" by
(only possibly) voting for the actual "winner" anyway, esp. when the
"winner" doesn't have a consistent philosophy in how he/she will vote?
You're certifiable.

Ray Arthur

Jim Beaver
2006-01-01 20:10:32 UTC
Post by d***@comcast.net
Actor in featured TV and movie roles dies in Chico
By GREG WELTER - Staff Writer
Dee Pollock, a character actor with hundreds of featured television and
movie roles over a 35-year career, died Tuesday at his home in Chico, a
family member said.
Pollock was 68.
I remember him, I think, from a Jeff Chandler Western called "The
Plunderers," in which I kept thinking "Has anyone ever seen this kid and
Michael Landon in the same place and time, because if not, they may be the
same guy."

Jim Beaver