Chuck Berry, Rock & Roll artist, age 90
Jason
2017-03-18 22:07:57 UTC
http://www.ksdk.com/news/rock-n-roll-legend-chuck-berry-has-died/423646802
j***@gmail.com
2017-03-18 22:10:05 UTC
Post by Jason
http://www.ksdk.com/news/rock-n-roll-legend-chuck-berry-has-died/423646802
Sad news today for millions of rock and roll fans across the
world. According to the St. Charles County Police
Department, legnedary musician Chuck Berry has died. He
was 90 years old.
Police say they responded to a medical emergency on
Buckner Road at approximately 12:40 p.m. today (Saturday,
March 18). Inside the home, first responders observed an
unresponsive man and immediately administered lifesaving
techniques. Unfortunately, the 90­year­old man, later identified as Charles Edward Anderson
Berry Sr., better known as legendary musician Chuck Berry, could not be revived and was
pronounced deceased at 1:26 p.m.
We will have more the legendary life and career of Chuck Berry soon
Bryan Styble
2017-03-18 23:36:29 UTC
Oh dear!

Berry not only put my hometown of St. Louis forever on the rock & roll map, but was arguably the second most influential figure in the history of rock, establishing the paradigm of the rock singer/songwriter, penning loads of rocker standards, and originating tons of now-classic lead riffs, monumental musical achievements each which even Presley could never claim. (Lennon said as much that day Berry guested during the week he and Yoko co-hosted "The Mike Douglas Show".)

Or as Clapton put it in the Berry tribute film "Hail! Hail! Rock & Roll!", by consensus one of the finest rock movies ever, [paraphrasing], "If you're going to set out to play rock-and-roll guitar, you're going inevitably to end up playing like Chuck Berry, because he pretty much laid down the rules for how to play rock on guitar."

Kenn Thomas, the widely-respected conspiracy journalist who I've been lucky enough to be pals with for forty years now, in St. Louis Music magazine once brilliantly termed Berry "Earth's Rock & Roll Ambassador to Outer Space", after an early recording of "Johnny B. Goode" was included by Carl Sagan's team on the four Pioneer and Voyager spacecraft now departing our solar system.

I was fortunate enough to chat with Berry twice, first on July 4, 1974 poolside at his infamous Berry Park estate out in Wentzville and then again a couple years later backstage at Six Flags, and have always cherished both encounters. And friends understand how gratifying it was then for me when, a few years ago, in one of the greatest rock summits ever, Berry finally hooked up somewhere with The Most Influential Figure of Rock History, and Berry said to His Inscrutableness, according to Rolling Stone (if memory accurately serves), "I hope you survive to 120. And I want to live forever!"

So sad that only one of those ambitions can now ever be realized.

BRYAN STYBLE/Florida
Bryan Styble
2017-03-18 23:56:39 UTC
Oh, and if you ever get to St. Louis--this late August for the total solar eclipse passing about 60 miles south of The Gateway Arch would be a good excuse to visit--be sure to see the fantastic life-size bronze statue of Berry and his Gibson (though NOT engaged in the Duck Walk), on the north side of Delmar Blvd along suburban University City's St. Louis Walk of Fame*.

STYBLE/Florida
* In the establishment of which way back when the above-referenced Kenn Thomas was one of the key figures.
Bryan Styble
2017-03-19 00:08:31 UTC
Oh, and while Berry may have fallen far short of his stated goal of living forever, the spacecraft on which his performance of "Johnny B. Goode" (by various reports either solely Voyager 1 and 2 but also perhaps aboard Pioneers 10 and 11 as well) have calculatedly expected lifespans--perhaps not as operational robots for playback but at least as hardware hurtling through interstellar and, eventually*, intergalactic space--of over one billion years.

STYBLE/Florida
* But only, obviously, if they're moving faster than The Milky Way's escape velocity, and I admittedly haven't checked those numbers.
Bryan Styble
2017-03-19 00:16:13 UTC
Oh, d'oh !

I just realized I started three consecutive postings with "Oh" ! Uh, make that four...

I shall endeavor in the future to be less-annoyingly redundant.

STYBLE/Florida
j***@gmail.com
2017-03-19 00:11:58 UTC
Post by Bryan Styble
[...]
This has always been my favorite Chuck Berry song:

Lyrics:

"You Never Can Tell"

It was a teenage wedding,
and the old folks wished them well
You could see that Pierre
did truly love the mademoiselle
And now the young monsieur
and madame have rung the chapel bell,
"C'est la vie", say the old folks,
it goes to show you never can tell

They furnished off an apartment
with a two room Roebuck sale
The coolerator was crammed
with TV dinners and ginger ale,
But when Pierre found work,
the little money comin' worked out well
"C'est la vie", say the old folks,
it goes to show you never can tell

They had a hi-fi phono, boy, did they let it blast
Seven hundred little records,
all rock, rhythm and jazz
But when the sun went down,
the rapid tempo of the music fell
"C'est la vie", say the old folks,
it goes to show you never can tell

They bought a souped-up jitney,
'twas a cherry red '53,
They drove it down New Orleans
to celebrate their anniversary
It was there that Pierre was married
to the lovely mademoiselle
Bryan Styble
2017-03-19 00:23:33 UTC
Yeah, poster "jsnsm", you're quite correct: "You Never Can Tell" is masterful and even subtly-brilliant songwriting, and Berry's uncharacteristically offhanded style of phrasing the lyrics in the original recording hugely adds to the tune's charm as well.

What's unfortunate is that it took the incredibly-overrated (not to mention narratively-impossible) "Pulp Fiction" to bring this little-heralded gem of Berry's massive body of work to prominence.

BRYAN STYBLE/Florida
MJ Emigh
2017-03-19 22:21:51 UTC
Well, I guess I'll add MY Chuck Berry story to the collection. I always found it interesting, but I'll keep it short, as you may not.

Many years ago I put together rock & roll revival shows. Nothing big time; just cheap and quick programs that were done in small theaters or even high school auditoriums. Chuck Berry was suggested at one point. I figured that, considering his well-deserved legendary status, he would be way out of reach. Fortunately, his rep wrote to me as I had no intention of being the one to approach him. Incredibly, it would work!

Chuck had no band. This was the punk era, but even those people knew Chuck Berry songs. Every kid who picked up an electric guitar after '55 or so learned Chuck songs. It was almost required. Well, we got a fairly successful local punk bar band who could play whatever Chuck called for.

Then there was the payment. As I recall, there was no deposit required, but Chuck wanted his money.....in cash.....before setting foot on the stage. When the show was about to begin, I asked him if he really wanted to do it that way and he said, "That's the only thing that's holding up the show." Holding up?!? We were still about 15 minutes from curtain! Well, I gave him the cash and he counted it. Chuck Berry counted it. Not a manager or employee. Chuck.

It was all there and Chuck Berry hit the stage for one hell of a show! The band screwed up a few times, but no one cared. It was Chuck! He ran through a sort of "Greatest Hits" set, interrupted only once for a dive into the blues, and he was a surprisingly good bluesman. The punk band, of course, was completely lost on that one. Uncharted territory for children of the 70s.

I suppose the money thing is a reaction to the young rockers being constantly ripped off back in those early days. Can't blame him one bit. And he certainly wasn't obnoxious about it. It was part of the contract and Chuck Berry fulfilled his end of the contract completely. No reason anyone else shouldn't.

He's one of those guys who I feel privileged to have spent some time with, even though our conversations didn't go beyond show talk. How big is the house, who's doing the intro, etc. Still.....a historical figure. I really was in the presence of greatness that night.
Bryan Styble
2017-03-20 01:56:50 UTC
That's a terrific story, MJ, and consistent with every other report I've heard of his extensive, if low-profile, post-prison touring. But why would you ever want to skip wonderful detail merely to keep a fascinating tale brief for the benefit of those who tire after the third paragraph?

Oh, and as a onetime professional journalist I'm never satisfied if all five Ws and the single H aren't covered, so: where was the club you booked Berry into, and what year was this?

Keep them rock & roll stories--if not cards and letters--coming' !

BRYAN STYBLE/Florida
MJ Emigh
2017-03-20 02:40:00 UTC
On Sunday, March 19, 2017 at 8:56:53 PM UTC-5, Bryan Styble wrote:
where was the club you booked Berry into, and what year was this?

It must have been the second half of the 70s. The theater was an old Vaudeville house in Troy, NY. I think. Could have been Schenectady. The shows I was involved in usually had at least two acts (The Vogues, Danny & The Juniors, The Tokens and others)but I think the opener for that was a regional "oldies" band that did college dates. The reason was that Chuck Berry was a lot more expensive than the acts we usually got. That was the case with Bo Diddly, too, but there was no need for a support act. He did two full sets!

As I'm on the verge of birthday #63, don't put too much faith in my memory for details. I sure don't.
RH Draney
2017-03-20 10:46:00 UTC
Post by Bryan Styble
where was the club you booked Berry into, and what year was this?
It must have been the second half of the 70s. The theater was an old Vaudeville house in Troy, NY. I think. Could have been Schenectady. The shows I was involved in usually had at least two acts (The Vogues, Danny & The Juniors, The Tokens and others)but I think the opener for that was a regional "oldies" band that did college dates. The reason was that Chuck Berry was a lot more expensive than the acts we usually got. That was the case with Bo Diddly, too, but there was no need for a support act. He did two full sets!
Current status of performers on The T.A.M.I Show, seminal 1964 festival
concert, in order of appearance:

Jan and Dean - Jan died 2004, Dean now age 77
Chuck Berry - just died
Gerry and the Pacemakers - Gerry Marsden age 74
Smokey Robinson - age 77
Marvin Gaye - died 1984
Lesley Gore - died 2015
The Beach Boys - Brian Wilson remarkably still living at age 74
Dennis died 1983, Carl died 1998, Mike Love age 76, Al Jardine age 74
Billy J Kramer & the Dakotas - Kramer age 73
The Supremes - Diana Ross age 72,
Flo Ballard died 1976, Mary Wilson age 73
The Barbarians - Moulty apparently still living but I don't have his age
James Brown - died 2006
The Rolling Stones - Mick, Keith, Bill Wyman, Charlie Watts all living,
Brian Jones died 1969

....r
A Friend
2017-03-20 11:14:01 UTC
Post by RH Draney
The Barbarians - Moulty apparently still living but I don't have his age
Born in 1945.