Oscar Memoriam Pick Lists?
2017-02-25 15:46:55 UTC
I'm missing this alt.obits tradition,which I am likelier to read
than to actually see the Oscar memoriam reel itself.

Have all our compilers deserted the group?

2017-02-25 16:57:03 UTC
Agreed/ Nobody has predicted the "locks" for this year's Oscarcast.

In addition, it also boils down to "who's going to get the final slot?" (I've narrowed in down to Gene Wilder, the Carrie Fischer/Debbie Reynolds two-fer, and/or John Hurt).

I went back and consulted my 2016 Necrology to pull some names who have passed on since last year's ceremony. Non-actors are annotated.

For your consideration, here is a list comprising obvious "locks" and folks I'd like to see included.

MARCH 2016
Pat Conroy (novelist/screenwriter)
Nancy Davis Reagan
Richard Davalos
Ruth Terry
Rita Gam
Ken Howard
Maggie Blye
Patty Duke

APRIL 2016
Leandro "Gato" Barbieri (music, "Last Tango in Paris")
Prince - aw, come on, they'll figure a way to qualify him

MAY 2016
Madeleine LeBeau (last surviving major cast member, "Casablanca")
Alexandre Astruc (French “New Wave” film critic/director)
Alan Young
Buck Kartalian
Bert Kwouk

JUNE 2016
Muhammad Ali (too big not to work in; film autobio "The Greatest")
Bill Richmond (screenwriter, seven Jerry Lewis movies)
Theresa Saldana
Sir Peter Schaffer (screenwriter of his plays "Equus" and "Amadeus")
Anton Yelchin

JULY 2016
Robin Hardy (director, "The Wicker Man" – 1973 version)
Hector Babaenco (director)
Paul Bergren (screenwriter, "The Elephant Man." "Frances")
Garry Marshall (director)
Marni Nixon ("ghost" singer)
Mohammad Khan (Anglo-Egyptian director)
Jack Davis (prolific movie poster artist)
Gloria DeHaven

AUGUST 2016
David Huddleston
Kenny Baker (R2-D2)
Fyvush Finkle
Arthur Hiller (director)
Toots Thielemans (dammit, who doesn't love the harmonica solo in "Midnight Cowboy"!)
Steven Hill
Marvin Kaplan
Gene Wilder

SEPTEMBER 2016
Jon Polito
Edward Albee (dramatist -- too big not to work in)
W. P. Kinsella (screen-adapted novelist)
Charmian Carr
Bobby Breen
George Barris (Marilyn Monroe photographer)

OCTOBER 2016
Brock Yates (screenwriter)
Andrzej Wajda (director/auteur)
Kathryn Adams
Tammy Grimes

NOVEMBER 2016
Robert Vaughn
Lupita Tovar
Jerry Tucker ("Our Gang")
Al Brodax (animation producer)
Fritz Weaver

DECEMBER 2016
Margaret Whitton
Bernard Fox
Zsa Zsa Gabor
Michele Morgan
Richard Adams (screen-adapted novelist)
Carrie Fischer
Debbie Reynolds

JANUARY 2017
Francine York
William Peter Blatty (screenwriter)
Miguel Ferrer
Sir John Hurt
Mary Tyler Moore
Barbara Hale
Emmanuelle Riva

FEBRUARY 2017
John Gay (screenwriter)
Alec McGowan
Seijun Suzuki (director)
Richard Schickel (critic)
c***@aol.com
2017-02-25 17:33:51 UTC
More interesting will be who will they leave out? I'm guessing they leave out Nancy Reagan and Michele Morgan.
d***@gmail.com
2017-02-26 01:50:44 UTC
That is a good list. I do hope Marni Nixon makes it because she sang for a lot of actresses and did not receive credit for all her work. Many actresses in that era owe her a vote of thanks.
Prince should be on it because Purple Rain won a couple Academy Awards for music.
And I can't imagine they would end it with anyone other than Carrie Fisher & Debbie Reynolds (not sure what order the 2 or them would be in since both were so important in their own ways.) The only one who could push them out might be Mary Tyler Moore not only because of her outstanding performances but it is still freshest in our minds. However, her TV work tends to overshadow her movie work (Ordinary People would be her biggest). If not for them it would be the beloved Gene Wilder.
Louis Epstein
2017-02-26 17:39:34 UTC
Post by d***@gmail.com
That is a good list. I do hope Marni Nixon makes it because she sang
for a lot of actresses and did not receive credit for all her work. Many
actresses in that era owe her a vote of thanks.
Prince should be on it because Purple Rain won a couple Academy Awards for music.
And I can't imagine they would end it with anyone other than Carrie
Fisher & Debbie Reynolds (not sure what order the 2 or them would be in
since both were so important in their own ways.) The only one who could
push them out might be Mary Tyler Moore not only because of her
outstanding performances but it is still freshest in our minds. However,
her TV work tends to overshadow her movie work (Ordinary People would be
her biggest). If not for them it would be the beloved Gene Wilder.
Bill Paxton I suppose will be a classic example of "missed the deadline".

Non-actors who won awards or were active in the Academy have
the edge over any who didn't.

But I expect they will continue to do what ruins the montage for me,
namely muting the beautiful ebb and flow of audience reactions to
broadcast a music track.

Sarah Ehrett
2017-02-26 20:21:25 UTC
On Sat, 25 Feb 2017 08:57:03 -0800 (PST), That Derek
Post by That Derek
Agreed/ Nobody has predicted the "locks" for this year's Oscarcast.
In addition, it also boils down to "who's going to get the final slot?" (I've narrowed in down to Gene Wilder, the Carrie Fischer/Debbie Reynolds two-fer, and/or John Hurt).
You almost have to go with Carrie Fischer/Debbie Reynolds.
[ No "c" in Fisher btw.] Carrie died and then Mom died from the
stress/broken heart. Two great ladies. They get my vote.
Louis Epstein
2017-02-27 08:08:29 UTC
[...]
Most of these were included,but some were not.

2017-02-27 12:25:01 UTC
And they included the photo of a producer who is still alive!!!!!
marcus
2017-02-27 00:47:30 UTC
Post by Louis Epstein
I'm missing this alt.obits tradition,which I am likelier to read
than to actually see the Oscar memoriam reel itself.
Have all our compilers deserted the group?
Is that on tonight?

Wasn't it just on two weeks ago?

Oh wait...that was the Grammys.

Just another awards show.

Yawn.
Louis Epstein
2017-02-27 04:19:40 UTC
Post by marcus
Post by Louis Epstein
I'm missing this alt.obits tradition,which I am likelier to read
than to actually see the Oscar memoriam reel itself.
Have all our compilers deserted the group?
Is that on tonight?
Wasn't it just on two weeks ago?
Oh wait...that was the Grammys.
Just another awards show.
Yawn.
I've channel-switched onto parts of it,not seen the In Memoriam.
Anyone have the hits and misses?
Post by marcus
2017-02-27 04:29:40 UTC
"who's going to get the final slot?" (I've narrowed in down to Gene Wilder, the Carrie Fischer/Debbie Reynolds two-fer, and/or John Hurt.
NAILED IT! 'Tho 't'was Debbie Reynolds and then Carrie Fischer so that the reel could end with "May the force be with you."