Charlie Rose's broadcast career
Add Reply
Bryan Styble
2017-11-21 11:52:07 UTC
Though it hardly requires Carnac the Magnificent-like prescience, I predict today's edition of The CBS Morning News, which airs live to most of the nation starting eight minutes from now, shall be the first ever to eclipse both Today and Good Morning America in ratings, as morning TV fans across the nation tune in to see how Norah O'Donnell and Winfrey-not-so-secret-lover Gayle King (as well as whoever their male co-host is) verbally dance around THIS one.

Nearly as much of a Today--and Savannah Guthrie!--partisan as I am of that inscrutable Nobel laureate with the funny nose, funnier hair and the funniest voice, I have never ONCE* tuned into either of the HUGELY-inferior competing CBS or ABC shows in favor of the Today opening segment--but this morning I shall. (And I've NEVER fallen the faux facial seriousness that the pruned Rose loves to turn on nearly much as much as he reportedly does his comely female assistants.)

* Well, except maybe a few times during the years when the ever-cloying, always-phony-emoting Meridith Viera was occupying [the still-living!] J. Fred Muggs's former seat.
c***@aol.com
2017-11-21 12:16:47 UTC
You know what Bryan? Most people no longer care about news on TV, especially broadcast news. It’s dying.
Bryan Styble
2017-11-21 13:04:21 UTC
Well, Cathy, the heyday of the network morning show's broadcast dominance was decades ago, for sure, but it's premature to declare radio in its death throes.

After all, all kinds of media analysts--though no one called them that in those days--famously said the same thing about radio when TV took over big-time by the late '50s. Yet by transitioning to so-called formatting, the considerably SUPERIOR* medium of radio managed to defer its current sad, slow death spiral all the way until The New Millennium...and that was a darned good thing for little ol' me, else I would never been able to carve out a niche for myself as a local Limbaugh all around The Lower 48 1989-2013!

BRYAN STYBLE/Florida**
* Because--as demonstrated by that oft-told and profound anecdote about the kid explaining to his father circa 1952 why he preferred the senior medium to the newfangled television--obviously on radio, "the pictures are better".
** Also retirement home to both J. Fred Muggs and his living-in-sin galpal, Phoebe B. Bebee, I'm proud to report.
Bryan Styble
2017-11-21 13:12:29 UTC
Yikes!

My lead should have read, "...premature to declare the network morning shows in their death throes.", obviously.

As I made clear, these days radio indeed IS in its final stages, a media catastrophe that admittedly precious few of us may mourn today...but that all broadcasting admirers shall be the lesser for once there are always images thrust upon us along with our aural information.

STYBLE/Florida
c***@aol.com
2017-11-21 13:57:28 UTC
Nobody under 50 watches them.
Bryan Styble
2017-11-21 20:52:16 UTC
Well, I'm certainly over the half-century mark at 63-pushing-101, so I guess I'm not one to consult on this question.

Still, Today is by my reckoning the most elegantly produced live broadcast on the TV network airwaves these days, news or otherwise. (GMA, produced by ABC Entertainment rather than its news division, is a hideous slapdash of a program, visually cluttered with often semi-literate, junk graphics and stewarded by the Mutt&Jeff combo of the diminutive George Stephanopolis next to the dimwitted Amazon lesbian Robin Roberts, who still has yet to shake off her anti-intellectual, minority-exalting, jock-reporter background.)

And do not young folk--or at least those who appreciate scrupulously-produced broadcasting--still watch fine programming in appreciable numbers? I mean, the competing three network morning shows--including the Rose-pruned CBS Morning News, which despite serious liberal bias is also pretty elegantly produced, though should not be compared to Today and GMA since, to CBS News's credit, they awhile back elected to stop trying to copy their two broadcast net counterparts and instead chart a more serious, news-oriented approach, the Winfrey-pushed journalist wannabe Gayle King notwithstanding, alas--still attract something like 20 million viewers daily in toto. And much more important, MANY public figures and other newsmakers still choose Today or, less wisely, GMA or the CBS Morning News, as their selected forum for newsmaking announcements.

No, Cathy, from this longtime broadcaster's clearly-biased perspective, the nets' morning productions are still quite relevant, if no longer culturally dominant, as they were as recently as the mid-90s.

STYBLE/Florida
Bryan Styble
2017-11-21 21:05:29 UTC
Oh, and one more thing: can anyone herein recall a swifter fall-from-broadcast-grace than Rose's? The WaPo released the earlier online version of today's print version of the story, I believe, about 4pm ET yesterday, and Rose was fired by CBS News about 22 hours later.

If I recall accurately, even Jimmy The Greek Snyder lasted a couple or three days after his incendiary quotes--which the brilliant L.A. Times TV critic Howard Rosenberg defended as historically accurate!--were published, correct? And if memory also serves, Don Imus wasn't dumped for several days by MSNBC after his characteristically-dumb remarks (and, much to the disappointment of those who appreciate witty newstalk radio/television, it STILL didn't end the ever-sorry, ever-mumbling Imus career.)

STYBLE/Florida
c***@aol.com
2017-11-21 21:38:02 UTC
Millennials do not watch broadcast tv at all. I defy you to find just one.
That Derek
2017-11-22 01:39:47 UTC
Herbert "Tex" Antoine was immediately pulled from his regular weatherman gig on NYC's WABC/Channel 7's "Eyewitness News" -- 41 years this week, 11/14/1976.

On that day leading off the 6PM "Eyewitness News," was a story about the brutal rape of a young girl (IIRC, 8 years old). In the tableau, a neighbourhood resident said something to the effect that crimes like these would be "inevitable" as long as lax prison sentences and parole dynamics remained in place

: Well, one day in Novemeber 1976 on the 6PM "Eyewitness News," the lead story was about a young girl (IIRC, 8 years old) being brutally raped. In the tableau, a neighbourhood resident said something to the effect that crimes like these would be "inevitable" as long as lax prison sentences and parole dynamics remained in place.

Later in the newscat, Tex Antoine did his regular forecast, with his "Uncle Wethbee," a Cololorforms-type 2-D cartoon character whom Antoine would "dress" according to the weather with Colorforms-type accoutrements (2-D hats, scarves, sunglasses, etc,). As per his custom, Antoine parted company with a witticism usually reflecting something in the foregoing newscast.

This time, Antoine affected a mock Asian accent and concluded with "Confusius say: as long as it's inevitable, might as well sit back and enjoy."

The switchboards went wild, Tex Antoine was immediately suspended never to resurface on Channel 7. He was later fired but it took more time than what it did for Messrs. Rose and Greek/Snyder. In the press, Antoine tried to excuse himself by saying that he had only caught the "inevitable" part, that he hadn't realized that the victim was a young girl, and he would never had made such a comment if he was aware of such.

Likewise in the press, feminists countered his innocence ploy by commenting that he should have never made any type of joke about rape. Interestingly, none of the accounts I read made mention of his racist "Confucius say" bon mot.

About a year-and-a-half later, Tex resurfaced doing the weather along with Uncle Wethbee on WNEW-TV / Channel 5 during their nightly "Ten O'clock News" (the one with the opening admonition "It's 10 PM. Do you know where your children are?"). However, he lasted roughly 8 months, a casualty of a then-sweeping trend: bringing a young attractive woman to deliver the weather.

Herbert Jon "Tex" Antoine died in 1983, age 59, IIRC from complications of diabetes.

.
That Derek
2017-11-22 01:41:44 UTC
11/14/1976.