Healthwatch: Otto Warmbier, US student released from prison in N. Korea in a coma
Jason
2017-06-13 16:26:53 UTC
http://www.newsweek.com/tillerson-otto-warmbier-released-north-korea-hes-believed-be-coma-624994

Updated | Otto Warmbier, an American sentenced to 15 years hard labor by North Korea for alleged “anti-state acts” has been released. Secretary of State Rex Tillerson announced Tuesday morning that 22-year-old Warmbier was on his way back to the U.S. to be reunited with his family.

Warmbier has apparently been in a coma since shortly after his trial, according to the Washington Post. He was sentenced in March 2016. A statement from Otto's parents Fred and Cindy Warmbier, dated June 13 stated: "Otto is on a Medivac on his flight home. Sadly, he is in a coma and we have been told he has been in that condition since March 2016. We learned of this only one week ago. We want the world to know how we and our son have been brutalized and terrorized by the pariah regime in North Korea. We are so grateful he can finally be with people who love him."

Warmbier allegedly came down with a case of botulism after his trial, and was given a sleeping pill from which he never woke up.

More of the backstory on this can be read at the link above.
Sarah Ehrett's Lesbian Love Interest
2017-06-13 17:14:04 UTC
Twenty-two, vacationing in N. Korea? Already did Thailand? Kathmandu not his cup of tea? Of all the places... who was his travel agent? Any country that can sentence a comatose person to hard labor is not on my bucket list... worst than Texas.
Michael OConnor
2017-06-13 19:04:11 UTC
I guess they waited long enough for the torture and beatings to heal up enough to send him back. There is no telling what toxicology tests and MRI's will tell, and more importantly, a spinal tap will reveal certain chemicals that might have been in his system at some point. The fact that North Korea failed to tell his parents their son's medical condition at the time he became comatose I am sure is a violation of numerous international rules and regulations. Swell guy that Kim Jong-Un is.
Bryan Styble
2017-06-14 00:11:55 UTC
Succinct, astute analysis there, Michael.