Anna Mae Swenson 1908-2017
2017-08-10 23:26:54 UTC
I learned today of the death of Anna Mae Swenson,who I had met briefly a
few times in recent years as the only older resident of her nursing home
became the oldest resident of the state of New York.

Her death was something of a surprise to me as she appeared rather robust
and alert when I last saw her in May,though she told me "people shouldn't
live so long".

Born November 3rd 1908,she died August 7th 2017.

http://www.legacy.com/obituaries/poughkeepsiejournal/obituary.aspx?n=anna-mae-swenson&pid=186322820&fhid=5734
http://www.hvmag.com/Hudson-Valley-Magazine/June-2013/Anna-Mae-Swenson/

Bryan Styble
2017-08-11 05:37:32 UTC
Sir Epstein:

It was far too brief to even begin to satisfy my curiosity about her, but your little tribute there was golden nonetheless, and vastly more important, Louis, thanks for being that rare type of individual* who brings a bit of attention--and maybe even the occasional weak but earnest smile--to the many folks coasting toward the ends of their time on this bio-orb, at least half of them I suppose closing out lives possibly far more remarkable than you and I have been fortunate to enjoy.

* Like myself, as it happens, though I have not been in a circumstance to facilitate that type of activity since Albuquerque 2000-2005.
Anglo Saxon

How would you like a Hawaiian Punch?
Bryan Styble
2017-08-11 08:54:54 UTC
Uh...why so hostile, Anglo?

And SURE, I'd LOVE a Hawaiian punch*, as I've never ONCE seen the ubiquitous '60s animated TV commercial with the catchy jingle, despite gulping loads of the red variety of the tasty drink beginning circa 1958.

And you didn't ask, but no, I've ZERO interest in even once visiting the exotic Hawaiian archipelago until they erect a Florida Keys-like causeway, as: (1) I quit all varieties of flying forever when I touched down at Motown Metro from Chicago Midway on Saturday evening, October 12, 1996; and (2) I regard the Saturday, January 3, 1959 statehood of Alaska and the Friday, August 21, 1959 addition of the 50th State as profound national mistakes on the purely-geopolitical principle of difficulty-of-defense, two sorties in the middle of the Pacific after dawn on Sunday morning [local time!], December 7, 1941 being of course Exhibit A thereto.

* Rumor on the street here in the 'hood is that the proper Madison Avenue phraseology is "a NICE Hawaiian punch"...but I cannot personally attest to that, for I've never observed that diminuative cartoon thug in pugilistic action.
MJ Emigh
2017-08-11 12:06:57 UTC
Post by Bryan Styble
gulping loads of the red variety of the tasty drink beginning circa 1958.
I had a friend in upstate New York about 40 years ago who owned a sandwich shop. One of the available beverages that ensured a profitable sale was Hawaiian Punch. You pour a container of gooey red stuff into a gurgling tank of water and in no time have that "tasty drink" ready to serve from the plastic faucet at the base of said tank.

However.....if you aren't super-careful, a few drops of that syrup can land on the Formica tabletop. There it will remain for generations as no known (at that time, at least) cleaning fluid will remove the colorful stain. I fully realize that your insides aren't made of Formica, but still I wonder about those who were "gulping loads" of the famous refreshment.
c***@aol.com
2017-08-11 12:21:51 UTC
Hawaiian Punch was one of the most disgusting things ever created. It makes Tang seem delicious.
Bryan Styble
2017-08-11 13:05:56 UTC
"CathyC" presumes her predilections are universally shared:

Hawaiian Punch was one of the most disgusting things ever created. It makes Tang seem delicious.

Oh, I don't doubt HP is a rather unhealthy beverage, and I'll grant that the American food industry's deletion of the infamous carcinogen Red Dye #2--circa 1966, correct?--perhaps lulled me into the false impression that HP wouldn't kill me in the short run or even in the long. Meanwhile, I strongly dislike the taste of unflavored as well as flavored coffee, and positively DETEST the taste of every variety of tea I've ever tried, hot or ice-cold. The Brits sure seem to like it, though!

And I'm hardly someone with capricious beverages preferences; alcohol does not agree with me, so I average maybe a couple beers per year (and find the taste of only a handful brands good tasting) and positively savor Classic Coca-Cola (whenever I'm not dieting) and Diet Coke alike, while correspondingly abhorring Pepsi and Diet Pepsi. Take THAT, Hef!

Oh, and I enthusiastically accepted the famed Pepsi Challenge some half-dozen times in malls in St. Louis, Houston and Los Angeles in the late 70s and early 80s, every time IMMEDIATELY (and, of course, successfully) identifying the unlabeled cup containing what would after the New Coke catastrophe was of course famously rebranded as Classic Coca-Cola.

Anyway, while you dismiss HP and Tang as liquid Edsels, I actually found even Tang tasty, though also obviously non-citrus. But I'm puzzled by your employment of the past tense; have either HP and or Tang been discontinued, and if so, when?

And if the NASA astronauts' favorite drink Tang is purely in the past nowadays, how are we ever going to reach Mars?

BRYAN STYBLE/Florida
Bryan Styble
2017-08-11 13:19:29 UTC
I regret erroneously above calling Coca-Cola Classic* "Classic Coca-Cola"; I'm going to catch some sleep
ZZZZZZzzzzzzz...

* Which sometime back may even have deleted "Classic" from its name, perhaps to further erase the public's ugly memory of the New Coke corporate disaster.
c***@aol.com
2017-08-11 14:29:46 UTC
Detesting tea makes you a real freak, the noble beverage of choice for most of the worlds population.
Bryan Styble
2017-08-11 15:45:28 UTC
Uh, then what might you suggest, Sage Cathy--taste-bud transplants?

2017-08-11 17:08:33 UTC
Style maturity class. All would help.
RH Draney
2017-08-11 12:34:36 UTC
Post by MJ Emigh
I had a friend in upstate New York about 40 years ago who owned a sandwich shop. One of the available beverages that ensured a profitable sale was Hawaiian Punch. You pour a container of gooey red stuff into a gurgling tank of water and in no time have that "tasty drink" ready to serve from the plastic faucet at the base of said tank.
Don't know if they still sell it, but one of the first non-ice-cream
items available at Baskin-Robbins was "Moa Moa Punch", indistinguishable
to my childhood palat from Hi-C or Kool-Aid (later sophistication led me
to prefer Funny Face with its politically incorrect flavor
mascots)...the slogan on the signs in the store read "try it and you'll
want moa and moa"....r
MJ Emigh
2017-08-11 20:44:50 UTC
On Friday, August 11, 2017 at 7:35:38 AM UTC-5, RH Draney wrote:
prefer Funny Face with its politically incorrect flavor
Post by RH Draney
mascots)
Yeah, that stuff was fun until Chinese Cherry was forced into changing his name and costume to Choo-Choo Cherry and Injun Orange to Ollie Orange (or sumthin' like that).
c***@aol.com
2017-08-11 22:41:50 UTC
Ooga booga.
David Carson
2017-08-12 03:51:21 UTC
Post by RH Draney
mascots)
Yeah, that stuff was fun until Chinese Cherry was forced into changing his name and costume to Choo-Choo Cherry and Injun Orange to Ollie Orange (or sumthin' like that).
Ai Yi Yi Yi
I am the Frito Bandito (Yuu-he!)
I like Fritos corn chips, I love them, I do!
I want Fritos corn chips, I'll get them from You!

Ai Yi Yi Yi
I am the Frito Bandito
Give me Fritos corn chips and I'll be your friend.
The Frito Bandito you must not offend!

Louis Epstein
2017-08-11 19:46:36 UTC
Post by MJ Emigh
Post by Bryan Styble
gulping loads of the red variety of the tasty drink beginning circa 1958.
I had a friend in upstate New York about 40 years ago who owned a sandwich shop. One of the available beverages that ensured a profitable sale was Hawaiian Punch. You pour a container of gooey red stuff into a gurgling tank of water and in no time have that "tasty drink" ready to serve from the plastic faucet at the base of said tank.
The one person at the nursing home older than Anna Mae Swenson came
from a family that ran ice cream shops in Newburgh and Poughkeepsie.

2017-08-11 12:35:28 UTC