Richard Anderson, actor, 91
2017-08-31 23:35:41 UTC
http://www.legacy.com/obituaries/greenvilleonline/obituary.aspx?n=richard-anderson&pid=186537392

Richard Anderson
1926 - 2017 Obituary Condolences

Richard Anderson (Photo by Paul Warner/Getty Images)
LOS ANGELES (AP) — Richard Anderson, the tall, handsome actor best known for costarring simultaneously in television's "The Six Million Dollar Man" and "The Bionic Woman" in the 1970s, has died at age 91.

Anderson died of natural causes on Thursday, family spokesman Jonathan Taylor said.

"The Six Million Dollar Man" brought a new wave of supernatural heroes to television. Based on the novel "Cyborg" by Martin Caidin, it starred Lee Majors as U.S. astronaut Steve Austin, who is severely injured in a crash. The government saves his life by rebuilding his body with atom-powered artificial limbs and other parts, giving him superhuman strength, speed and other powers.

Anderson played Oscar Goldman, Majors' boss at the secret government spy agency the astronaut went to work for after becoming a cyborg.

Click to get weekly celebrity death news delivered to your inbox.

The show began as a TV movie in 1973 and when it proved a hit it was turned into a weekly series the following year. Its popularity led to a 1976 spinoff show, "The Bionic Woman," starring Lindsay Wagner. Anderson took on the Oscar Goldman role in that show, too, sometimes appearing from week to week in both series.

In "The Bionic Woman," Wagner was a tennis pro whose body was rebuilt after a near-fatal skydiving accident. After obtaining powers similar to those of "The Six Million Dollar Man," she goes to work for the same government agency run by Anderson's character.

The actor, who stood 6-feet-4, had begun his career in 1949 with a small role as a wounded soldier in "12 O'Clock High." Soon after, his comedy scenes in a TV series called "Lights, Camera, Action!" drew the attention of MGM, which offered him a screen test and a contract.

He had decided to try acting after watching Gary Cooper movies, and at the screen test he performed a scene from Cooper's "The Cowboy and the Lady."

At MGM he played secondary roles in such movies as "The Magnificent Yankee," ''Across the Wide Missouri," ''Scaramouche," ''The Story of Three Loves," ''The Student Prince," ''Hit the Deck" and "Forbidden Planet."

"When people ask me where I received my education, I tell them it was at MGM U," the Internet Movie Database quoted him as saying. "The biggest lessons that I learned is that acting is a talent. You can't teach it. And even if you have the talent, you have to get the part."

When MGM began thinning out its contract list in the late 1950s, Anderson was let go.

He went on to make movies for other studios, appearing in such films as Stanley Kubrick's "Paths of Glory," ''The Long Hot Summer," ''Compulsion,' "The Wackiest Ship in the Navy," ''The Gathering of Eagles," ''Johnny Cool," ''Seven Days in May" and "Kitten With a Whip."

Anderson was also a frequent guest on TV series and had regular roles on "Bus Stop," ''Perry Mason," ''Dan August" and "The Fugitive." Other television credits included "Slattery's People," ''Dr. Kildare," ''The Virginian," ''The Rifleman," ''Bonanza," ''Mannix" and "The Mod Squad."

He also acted as producer when "The Six Million Dollar Man" and "The Bionic Woman" were revived in later years as TV movies.

Richard Norman Anderson was born in Long Branch, N.J., on Aug. 8, 1928. He later moved to Los Angeles, where he began appearing in high school plays.

After two years in the Army, he began studying at the Actors Laboratory in Los Angeles. Soon he was landing work in radio and summer stock productions.

Anderson was married and divorced twice.

He and his first wife, Katharine Thalberg, daughter of actress Norma Shearer and movie mogul Irving Thalberg, had three daughters, Ashley, Brooke Dominique and Deva Justine. His second wife, Carol Lee Ladd, was the daughter of actor Alan Ladd.

The late Associated Press Entertainment Writer Bob Thomas contributed to this report.

Written by John Rogers
RH Draney
2017-09-01 04:21:51 UTC
Post by Michael OConnor
LOS ANGELES (AP) — Richard Anderson, the tall, handsome actor best known for costarring simultaneously in television's "The Six Million Dollar Man" and "The Bionic Woman" in the 1970s, has died at age 91.
Anderson died of natural causes on Thursday, family spokesman Jonathan Taylor said.
There goes my dream of seeing him do a cameo on "Marvel's Agents of
SHIELD" as the uncle or grandfather or whatever of Phil Coulson....

Also, ObNTBCFW the guy who played the original McGyver....r
Louis Epstein
2017-09-01 17:50:38 UTC
Post by RH Draney
LOS ANGELES (AP) ? Richard Anderson, the tall, handsome actor best known for costarring simultaneously in television's "The Six Million Dollar Man" and "The Bionic Woman" in the 1970s, has died at age 91.
Anderson died of natural causes on Thursday, family spokesman Jonathan Taylor said.
There goes my dream of seeing him do a cameo on "Marvel's Agents of
SHIELD" as the uncle or grandfather or whatever of Phil Coulson....
Can't we rebuild him?
Don't we have the technology?

2017-09-01 04:25:43 UTC
Post by Michael OConnor
Anderson was also a frequent guest on TV series and had regular roles on "Bus Stop," ''Perry Mason," ''Dan August" and "The Fugitive."
Not just any "Fugitive" episode but in the final two episodes "The Judgment, Parts I and II" in which the "One-Armed Man" was brought to justice.

Anderson died two days after the 50th anniversary of the record-breaking finale (08-29-1967)
David Carson
2017-09-01 19:22:02 UTC
Post by Michael OConnor
Anderson was also a frequent guest on TV series and had regular roles on "Bus Stop," ''Perry Mason," ''Dan August" and "The Fugitive." Other television credits included "Slattery's People," ''Dr. Kildare," ''The Virginian," ''The Rifleman," ''Bonanza," ''Mannix" and "The Mod Squad."
I remember him as a recurring guest on "The Big Valley," in which Lee
Majors co-starred.

David Carson
Charles Richmond
2017-09-02 05:31:58 UTC
Post by David Carson
Post by Michael OConnor
Anderson was also a frequent guest on TV series and had regular roles on "Bus Stop," ''Perry Mason," ''Dan August" and "The Fugitive." Other television credits included "Slattery's People," ''Dr. Kildare," ''The Virginian," ''The Rifleman," ''Bonanza," ''Mannix" and "The Mod Squad."
I remember him as a recurring guest on "The Big Valley," in which Lee
Majors co-starred.
David Carson
Anderson played a doctor whose patient died after surgery. The patient
was the wife of a wealthy rancher who *never* forgave Anderson and was
hunting Anderson down to kill him. (The rancher was played by Karl
Swenson),
numerist at aquaporin4 dot com
David Carson
2017-09-04 03:17:54 UTC
On Sat, 2 Sep 2017 00:31:58 -0500, Charles Richmond
Post by Charles Richmond
Post by David Carson
I remember him as a recurring guest on "The Big Valley," in which Lee
Majors co-starred.
David Carson
Anderson played a doctor whose patient died after surgery. The patient
was the wife of a wealthy rancher who *never* forgave Anderson and was
hunting Anderson down to kill him. (The rancher was played by Karl
Swenson),
Did the episode take place aboard a train? "Last Train to the Fair"?
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0524371/synopsis?ref_=ttpl_pl_syn

According to the plot synopsis, the wife died because of Anderson's
character's past misdeeds as an outlaw. Sorry to be picky - I started
looking this up to see if by any chance Bruce Dern was in it. He and
Anderson both guest-starred in a lot of episodes, but sadly, neither were
ever in the same one.

Dead or Alive Data Base
http://www.doadb.com