2017-07-28 19:36:37 UTC
'OUR BEAUTIFUL LITTLE BOY HAS GONE' Charlie Gard has died aged 11 months – the brave little boy whose plight touched the world passes away just seven days before his first birthday
His parents fought a five-month legal battle for him to be taken to the United States for experimental treatment
By Amanda Devlin
28th July 2017, 7:30 pm
Updated: 28th July 2017, 8:16 pm
CHARLIE Gard, the baby boy who captured the hearts of the world with his brave battle for life, has died just one week before his first birthday.
The 11-month-old tot finally succumbed to the brutal condition, which saw him take centre stage in an unprecedented legal battle.
The tot has been the centre of a High Court battle as his parents fought to keep him alive
The brave tot’s fight caught the attention of everyone from US President Donald Trump to the Pope as his defiant parents desperately fought to take him to the United States for untested treatment.
It was against the advice of Great Ormond Street doctors who said he should be allowed to “die with dignity”.
But after a five-month legal battle the 11-month-old boy’s parents gave up their fight last week saying “time has run out” after scans showed his condition had deteriorated too much.
They begged Great Ormond Street doctors to let them take baby Charlie home for his final days, but were overruled by the hospital which said the ventilator keeping him alive was too bulky to fit through their front door.
They finally agreed for him to be placed in a hospice.
Tonight Charlie’s heartbroken mum Connie Yates said: “Our beautiful little boy has gone, we are so proud of you Charlie.”
Tonight a Great Ormond Street Hospital spokesman sent Charlie’s family their “heartfelt condolences”.
Hundreds of others from around the world have paid tribute to the tragic tot as they shared their heartbreak over baby Charlie’s death.
The case drew comment from U.S. President Donald Trump, who tweeted on July 3 that “we would be delighted” to help Charlie, and from Pope Francis, who called for the parents to be allowed to do everything possible to treat their child.
Tonight Prime Minister Theresa May said she is “deeply saddened” by the death of 11-month-old Charlie Gard and said her “thoughts and prayers” are with his parents.
Hundreds of supporters – called Charlie’s Army – lended their voices and money for him to be given treatment, with £1.35 million raised on an online fundraising site.