Matt Patrick, Houston talk radio host
2017-07-09 22:43:15 UTC
Houston broadcaster Matt Patrick died today.

Patrick hosted a morning news show on KTRH-AM in Houston and also appeared
as a political commentator on Houston's Fox affiliate, KRIV-TV. In 2015,
he announced that he had cancer of the esophagus. He was off the air for
several months, then made a return. His voice sounded very hoarse when he
first returned to the air, but it sounded better as weeks went by. It
began to decline again recently; I noticed last week that it sounded
decidedly worse.

On Wednesday, Matt made his last broadcast, said he was ending his cancer
treatments, and said goodbye. His death was announced on Twitter by work
associates about an hour ago.

Dead or Alive Data Base
http://www.doadb.com
Kenny McCormack
2017-07-10 04:38:02 UTC
Post by David Carson
Houston broadcaster Matt Patrick died today.
Age 58.
--
"The party of Lincoln has become the party of John Wilkes Booth."

- Carlos Alazraqui -
David Carson
2017-07-10 22:40:22 UTC
I will add to the story below that Patrick's longtime debate opponent on
Fox 26, Quanell X, gave yesterday what I thought was a heartfelt and
unexpected tribute to his friend.
Post by David Carson
Houston broadcaster Matt Patrick died today.
http://www.chron.com/news/houston-texas/houston/article/Houston-radio-host-Matt-Patrick-dies-at-58-11276200.php
Houston radio host Matt Patrick dies days after announcing he terminated
cancer treatments
By Heather Leighton, Chron.com / Houston Chronicle and Lindsay Ellis
Updated 6:24 am, Monday, July 10, 2017

On Wednesday, radio host Matt Patrick announced that he would no longer
seek treatment for the aggressive cancer he's been fighting for the past
few years. On Sunday, July 9, his death was announced by Fort Bend County
Sheriff Nehls.

Michael "Matt" Patrick Ryan took the stage at an event with Houston
Republicans just four-and-a-half months into his new gig at KTRH in 2011.

"If I've learned one thing in Houston, in Texas ...," he began, "I have
learned, 'Son, you better keep your mouth shut, your eyes open and listen,
because Houstonians will let you know when you have become –"

A woman interjected: "A Texan."

He laughed. "I thank you for letting me come into your city."

The conservative radio host, known as Matt Patrick, died Sunday at 58
after fighting aggressive mucosal melanoma for two years.

Patrick was known for his positive attitude and spirited debates on air in
Houston, weighing in on issues that ranged from President Donald Trump's
campaign to how the Super Bowl affected homelessness in the Bayou City.

He wasn't afraid to talk about his personal life, discussing his 2015
cancer diagnosis and, last week, telling listeners that he would stop
treatment at MD Anderson.

Before he was a staple of morning commutes on KTRH, however, Patrick was
once new to the Lone Star State, acknowledging at that 2011 event that he
was a "Texan by choice."

He spent nearly three decades at WKDD, a morning radio show in Akron,
Ohio, after starting as a DJ at 22 in 1980. He launched The Matt Patrick
Show in 2008 on a different Akron station, and he took the program to
Cincinnati and Cleveland stations before moving to Houston six years ago
with his family.

Here, he debated on the "Fox Face-Off" segment on KRIV with activist
Quanell X and appeared on "Lou Dobbs Tonight" as a guest commentator.

In a statement, family members called quiet moments at home his "true
passion" in life. He took his son on annual cabin trips and watched
football on Sundays. Almost every morning, they said, he started the day
in the hot tub with prayer.

Patrick is survived by his wife Paula, son Jake, daughters Alexandra and
Alanna, mother and step-father and other family members.

"My goodness, if everybody loved their family like Matt Patrick loved his,
the world would be a better place," colleague Michael Berry said in a
statement Sunday.

Over the last six years, Houston listeners welcomed his voice into their
cars, offices and homes. His cancer weakened his broadcast boom to just
above a whisper at times, and his fans sent their support in letters to
the station.

"We have never met, never spoke, but I feel I know you so well," one
wrote.

"I sometimes feel you are the only reason I get up early in the morning,"
said another.

James Simpson, who worked with Patrick since 2013 as a KPRC afternoon
producer, said the host came to work in a suit every day – even though his
listeners would never see it – to show professionalism.

"He was a work horse," Simpson said. "He got in early, ready to go, and
everybody had to be on his level."

On air, Patrick was open about recovering from alcoholism and his cancer
treatments.

He was diagnosed with cancer in September 2015, and in an interview with
Fox 26 news the following January, he said his outlook was improving.

"The hair doesn't look as good as I would like," he quipped.

He acknowledged then that he and his wife struggled initially with the
diagnosis but took recovery one day at a time with support from friends.

His final broadcast was last week, when he told listeners that he would
stop treatment.
"There will be no more fighting. There will be no more going back to the
hospital. It will be up to God," he said.

Berry said in a statement that he knew the end was near that day. "It made
me happy that he was getting to say goodbye in his way doing what he loved
to do," he wrote.

His KTRH colleagues called him "a true conservative" in a statement on
Sunday.

"As a veteran of radio, he delivered award-winning broadcasts year after
year that embody the very foundation on which our country was founded:
God, guns, country," KTRH said in a statement. "Matt deeply believed in
protecting and defending the Constitution and all that it stands for just
as our Founding Fathers would have wanted and expected."