Joe Rogers Sr., 97, co-founder, Redneck Ritz, er, Waffle House chain
2017-03-07 04:57:38 UTC
http://www.nola.com/dining/index.ssf/2017/03/waffle_house_dies_rogers.html

Waffle House co-founder dies at 97: report

By Todd A. Price, NOLA.com | The Times-Picayune
Email the author | Follow on Twitter
on March 06, 2017 at 12:45 PM, updated March 06, 2017 at 1:32

Joe Rogers Sr., who co-founded the Waffle House diner chain in 1955, died Friday, reports the Atlanta Journal-Constitution. He was 97.

Rogers partnered with his neighbor, Tom Forkner, now 99, to open the first Waffle House in Avondale Estates, Ga.

More than 1,500 of the iconic yellow and black, 24-hour diners now dot the nation.

Rogers stepped from an active role in the business in the 1970s.

Correction: The original version of this story misstated the founding date of Waffle House.

Check back to NOLA.com | The Times-Picayune for updates.
David Carson
2017-03-07 22:46:32 UTC
On Mon, 6 Mar 2017 20:57:38 -0800 (PST), That Derek
Post by That Derek
http://www.nola.com/dining/index.ssf/2017/03/waffle_house_dies_rogers.html
Waffle House co-founder dies at 97: report
By Todd A. Price, NOLA.com | The Times-Picayune
Email the author | Follow on Twitter
on March 06, 2017 at 12:45 PM, updated March 06, 2017 at 1:32
Joe Rogers Sr., who co-founded the Waffle House diner chain in 1955, died Friday, reports the Atlanta Journal-Constitution. He was 97.
Rogers partnered with his neighbor, Tom Forkner, now 99, to open the first Waffle House in Avondale Estates, Ga.
More than 1,500 of the iconic yellow and black, 24-hour diners now dot the nation.
I've eaten at many of them.

My family comes to my house every year for Thanksgiving. We have a big
lunch, but what to do for dinner? Years go, we decided to go out and
try to find a restaurant that was open. The only one we could find was
Waffle House. No problem, because we all like Waffle House.

Since that first year, going out for dinner on Thanksgiving Day to
Waffle House has been part of the tradition, even though there are a
lot more choices now.

We've never seen the same employee working there two Thanksgivings in
a row. Sometimes we tell the server that we come there every year as a
Thanksgiving tradition. As we're leaving we tell them "we'll be back
next year," then after we get outside, we add "but you won't."

David Carson
Wendy Chatley Green
2017-03-08 12:03:16 UTC
Post by David Carson
We've never seen the same employee working there two Thanksgivings in
a row. Sometimes we tell the server that we come there every year as a
Thanksgiving tradition. As we're leaving we tell them "we'll be back
next year," then after we get outside, we add "but you won't."
My daughter works at a Waffle House in Georgia that breaks sales records
every Thanksgiving and Christmas. She tells stories of people who quit
right before or right after those days; employees are asked to work two
shifts to cover the demand.

Like your family, lots of locals come in every year. Some eat all three
meals those days to keep from cooking at home or to be with people on
the holidays.
--
Wendy Chatley Green
wcgreen-at-lycos.usual suffix
David Carson
2017-03-09 01:20:46 UTC
Post by Wendy Chatley Green
Post by David Carson
We've never seen the same employee working there two Thanksgivings in
a row. Sometimes we tell the server that we come there every year as a
Thanksgiving tradition. As we're leaving we tell them "we'll be back
next year," then after we get outside, we add "but you won't."
My daughter works at a Waffle House in Georgia that breaks sales records
every Thanksgiving and Christmas. She tells stories of people who quit
right before or right after those days; employees are asked to work two
shifts to cover the demand.
Like your family, lots of locals come in every year. Some eat all three
meals those days to keep from cooking at home or to be with people on
the holidays.
Huh. The one we go to is always pretty deserted on Thanksgiving Day night.
It's usually us and no more than one other party of diners, two servers
with little to do, and one cook.
marcus
I don't live where there are any Waffle House franchises. They do seem to be popular down south. To the best of my memory, I've only eaten at one once. Don't ask me why I recall this, but it was on Election Day, 1976, and I was in Hickory, NC.
Anglo Saxon

Oh, no. You're not getting off that easy. Why do you recall this?
marcus
2017-03-10 04:18:20 UTC
Post by marcus
Post by marcus
I don't live where there are any Waffle House franchises. They do seem
to be popular down south. To the best of my memory, I've only eaten at
one once. Don't ask me why I recall this, but it was on Election Day,
1976, and I was in Hickory, NC.
Oh, no. You're not getting off that easy. Why do you recall this?
We were living in AZ and took four weeks off to visit the East Coast to visit friends and family. My wife's sister was going to college in NC. We just happened to be there on Election Day and woke up early for breakfast. Waffle House was the only place open.

Hey, I didn't say the story was exciting. LOL

btw, we knew we were going to be on vacation on Election Day, so we both voted proudly for Jimmy Carter by absentee ballot.

Marc
c***@aol.com
2017-03-10 04:20:40 UTC
Asswipe Marcus can even make waffles about politics. Putz.
Anglo Saxon
2017-03-10 04:40:20 UTC
Post by marcus
Post by marcus
Hey, I didn't say the story was exciting. LOL
btw, we knew we were going to be on vacation on Election Day, so we both
voted proudly for Jimmy Carter by absentee ballot.
Post by marcus
Marc
Details of life are interesting. My brother never forgave Carter for
wearing that sweater.
marcus
As we all recall, Reagan colluded with the Iranians, twice, just as Trump is doing with the Russians, except that the latter is worse since it's outright treason.
c***@aol.com
2017-03-10 21:32:55 UTC
Ted Kennedy worked with the KGB to thwart Reagan's re election in 1984. I suppose you're okay with that.
c***@aol.com
2017-03-10 21:33:47 UTC
For 40 years, the Dems colluded with the Soviets against US interests. I suppose that's cool.
marcus
2017-03-11 16:18:06 UTC
Citation please.
Kenny McCormack
2017-03-11 16:29:30 UTC
Post by marcus
Post by c***@aol.com
For 40 years, the Dems colluded with the Soviets against US interests. I
suppose that's cool.
Citation please.
You're asking the pig fucker for citations??? What planet are you from?

For that matter, you're wasting your time debating or having anything at
all to do with the pig fucker???? Seriously, dude, what planet are you from?
--
Christianity is not a religion.

- Rick C Hodgin -
marcus
2017-03-11 19:49:23 UTC
Post by Kenny McCormack
Post by marcus
Post by c***@aol.com
For 40 years, the Dems colluded with the Soviets against US interests. I
suppose that's cool.
Citation please.
You're asking the pig fucker for citations??? What planet are you from?
Well, I don't really think he has any, but when someone makes such a wild, outlandish claim as he did, I'd like to see what he uses for proof. Kind of like asking a current president to prove that a former president did him wrong.

btw, there is a good chance that none of us came from Earth originally, but I'm not going to get into that right now.
Anglo Saxon
2017-03-11 20:20:48 UTC
If not now, when?
marcus
2017-03-11 20:26:41 UTC
When the Mother Ship arrives. ;-)
Anglo Saxon
2017-03-11 21:05:28 UTC
Post by marcus
Post by marcus
Post by marcus
btw, there is a good chance that none of us came from Earth
originally, but I'm not going to get into that right now.
If not now, when?
When the Mother Ship arrives. ;-)
:-)

Life itself is a result of the demands of bacteria. Life serves bacteria.
Gases and electrical charge created bacteria. If and when they can
reproduce the process, hell. That's more interesting than flying saucers!
My kid brother at around the age of 5, asked me why "shyentents" look up
at the skies when they should look into "elek-erekshon-electric tubes" to
"see little things better."

LOL. He's old now, and still wise.

So that's why I'm On Topic.

Death feasts on Life.
marcus
Life came from the sky.
Anglo Saxon
2017-03-13 01:57:14 UTC
Post by marcus
Life came from the sky.
M Theory. Works for me. lol
marcus
2017-03-13 19:28:12 UTC
Post by Anglo Saxon
Post by marcus
Life came from the sky.
M Theory. Works for me. lol
It is interesting to consider that were it not for some microbes or bacteria from meteorites, life, as we know it, might not exist on Earth.
c***@aol.com
2017-03-11 20:47:34 UTC
Marcus is such a waste of time. He really doesn't realize that the Democrat Party with few exceptions like Scoop Jackson coddled the Soviet commies from the 50s until the early 90s. This is basic history. Maybe read a book you didn't write yourself? Ted Kennedy even colluded with the Soviets in a US election. But you keep pretending it didn't happen.
Sarah Ehrett
2017-03-11 21:20:53 UTC
Post by marcus
Post by marcus
Post by c***@aol.com
For 40 years, the Dems colluded with the Soviets against US interests. I
suppose that's cool.
Citation please.
Well, I don't really think he has any, but when someone makes such a wild, outlandish claim as he did, I'd like to see what he uses for proof.
Hillary Clinton as Sec. of State failed to stop the selling of our
uranium rights to Russia.

And you don't see Russia mining our uranium as a threat to US
interests? If you don't you're delusional.
c***@aol.com
2017-03-11 16:46:17 UTC
Citations? Are you serious? Are you 12? Did you live through the Cold War?
marcus
2017-03-11 19:46:01 UTC
Yes. Yes. No. Yes.
Sarah Ehrett
2017-03-11 21:21:01 UTC
Post by c***@aol.com
Citations? Are you serious? Are you 12? Did you live through the Cold War?
Of course he's serious, marcus is stupid. He hasn't the intelligence
to vet any thing for facts.
Dresden Houndiearfums
2017-03-10 09:33:40 UTC
Post by marcus
Hey, I didn't say the story was exciting. LOL
btw, we knew we were going to be on vacation on Election Day, so we both voted proudly for Jimmy Carter by absentee ballot.
A loser choice by a loser POS, marcass catone.

He should be proud of himself voting for the two worst presidents in US
history: carter and obozo.
Kenny McCormack
2017-03-10 10:32:05 UTC
Post by marcus
Post by marcus
Hey, I didn't say the story was exciting. LOL
btw, we knew we were going to be on vacation on Election Day, so we both voted
proudly for Jimmy Carter by absentee ballot.
A loser choice by a loser POS, marcass catone.
He should be proud of himself voting for the two worst presidents in US
history: carter and obozo.
You misspelled 'Reagan' and 'Trump'.

Or you misspelled 'best'.

Either way...
--
"This ain't my first time at the rodeo"

is a line from the movie, Mommie Dearest, said by Joan Crawford at a board meeting.
c***@aol.com
2017-03-10 12:10:52 UTC
What a devastating retort. Did you get that from a 3 year old?
RH Draney
2017-03-09 08:31:01 UTC
Post by That Derek
More than 1,500 of the iconic yellow and black, 24-hour diners now dot the nation.
I've eaten at many of them.
Me too, and I don't even care for waffles...oddly enough, the thing
they're most famous for is their hash browns....

The phrase "dot the nation" in the original article may be a bit misleading:

http://tumblr.mapsbynik.com/post/82053920556/waffle-house-density-by-quad-the-map-shown-here

....r
John M.
2017-03-25 17:19:17 UTC
Post by That Derek
More than 1,500 of the iconic yellow and black, 24-hour diners now dot the nation.
I've eaten at many of them.
Me too, and I don't even care for waffles...oddly enough, the thing
they're most famous for is their hash browns....
http://tumblr.mapsbynik.com/post/82053920556/waffle-house-density-by-quad-the-map-shown-here
....r
Yes, definitely their hashbrowns. Toddle/Huddle House have some very
similar.

I pretty much grew up in FL but moved to the Boston area for about 10
years. At least back then (Don't know about now.) there were no WH's
in the area. Their hasbrowns were sorely missed.