Tiger Joe Robinson, 90
2017-07-10 19:15:43 UTC
British wrestling champ whose film roles included Peter Franks in Diamonds Are Forever.
Michael OConnor
2017-07-10 19:22:09 UTC
In the Bond films the women often had names that were sexual double entendres like Pussy Galore, but Peter Franks was the only male character who had such a name that I can remember.
Diner
2017-07-10 21:04:44 UTC
Post by c***@aol.com
British wrestling champ whose film roles included Peter Franks in Diamonds Are Forever.
James Bond vs. Peter Franks - the elevator fight:

Bryan Styble
2017-07-10 22:26:55 UTC
Well, now that was darned nifty!

And I was actually expecting it to be over-the-top and then capped with an obvious (and probably not very funny) gag, as was the case with much of the rest of "Diamonds Are Forever". Which is why I never bothered to watch it a second time since I first viewed it on Christmas evening 1971 while still thrilled by that remarkable double-overtime AFL playoff loss of the Chiefs to the Dolphins in Kansas City a couple hours prior.

But I had forgotten that at least one scene in the film--which has the distinction, I believe, of being the late Jimmy Dean's only straight role*--was simply terrific!

So instead of enduring another of the often preposterous fight scenes we're dealt in any of the sillier Bond flicks, this one showed both men struggling for their lives in a serious, even match, and was made memorable by the open-air vintage elevator ride in general and fire extinguisher flourish in particular. And then instead of cracking some Roger Moore-style dimwitticism, Connery's aging Bond** merely confirms to Tiffany Case--for my money the absolute most attractive so-called Bond girl EVER***--that he hopes his deadly toil was successful.

So thanks a heap, Mr. or Ms. Diner, for digging up this gem!

* If you don't count his sausage empire.
** But of course not nearly as aging as the Bond who Connery inexplicably played in the "Thunderball" remake "Never Say Never Again", which was a bad idea that should, uh, never have been released and never even have gone into production.
*** An obviously-subjective judgment which may be biased by two facts: (1) I've always had a severe weakness for redheads; and (2) Jill St. John was featured--and killed off!--in the two-part pilot/premier which debuted on that wonderfully wacky Wednesday when West/Ward warred wrongdoers**** over ABC on January 12, 1966.
**** Yeah, I realize this final W-word doesn't count as alliteration. Technically.
c***@aol.com
2017-07-10 23:55:54 UTC
Digging up? You make it sound like it's unknown.

Diamonds is a wonderful film, great fun, perhaps you should stick to superhero films. They're 4th grace level.
Michael OConnor
2017-07-11 01:42:53 UTC
Tiffany Case--for my money the absolute most attractive so-called Bond girl EVER

My two favorite Bond girls were Jill St. John and Diana Rigg, in no particular order.
Bryan Styble
2017-07-11 02:34:51 UTC
Michael O'Connor opined on one of the perennial male film buff questions:

My two favorite Bond girls were Jill St. John and Diana Rigg, in no particular order.

I guess if we were hanging out in the same pick-up joint, you and I would be chasing after the same women, Michael, because it just so happens Rigg is indeed my SECOND fave Bond galpal!

This is especially odd, inasmuch as I am known amongst acquaintances for having quirky taste in women; I mean, who else preferred the original, big-nosed Jennifer Grey to her supposedly vast-more-beautiful* post-rhinoplasty self?

STYBLE/Florida
* But career-foundering, I gather.