Edwin Jackson, Indianapolis Colts, 26
2018-02-05 01:19:58 UTC
http://www.foxnews.com/sports/2018/02/04/edwin-jackson-indianapolis-colts-linebacker-killed-by-suspected-drunk-driver.html
Edwin Jackson, Indianapolis Colts linebacker, killed by suspected drunk
driver

Indianapolis Colts linebacker Edwin Jackson was killed Sunday after being
hit by a suspected drunk driver, the NFL team confirmed just hours before
the Super Bowl.

“We were heartbroken to hear the news of Edwin Jackson’s passing,” the
Colts said in a statement. “Edwin was loved by all in the Colts
organization. We admired his outgoing personality, competitive spirit and
hard-working mentality.”

Jackson, according to the team, “was well-respected among all with whom he
crossed paths, and he will be greatly missed in our locker room and
throughout our entire organization.”

The 26-year-old linebacker was hit just before 4 a.m. on Sunday on
Interstate 70 in Indiana, Fox 59 reported.

Jackson, along with 54-year-old Jeffrey Monroe, who was believed to be
Jackson's ride-share driver, were standing outside their 2018 Lincoln when
a Ford F-150 pickup truck drove onto the emergency shoulder and hit them
both, police said in a press release.

Authorities said the driver — identified as Alex Cabrera Gonsales, 37 —
hit them, then tried to run away on foot but was quickly captured. State
police believe Gonsales "was intoxicated and driving without a license. He
was transported to the Marion County Jail," and the toxicology test
results are pending.

State police said they believe Monroe pulled the car over on I-70 because
Jackson became sick, and got out of the vehicle to help the NFL player.

Jackson signed to the Colts practice squad in December 2015, and was
placed on injured reserve by the team in September 2017.

Friends and fans of the NFL player took to Twitter to share their memories
of Jackson.

[continues at URL - it's mostly tweets and screenshots of tweets after
this]

--
Dead or Alive Data Base
http://www.doadb.com
David Carson
2018-02-05 18:58:44 UTC
http://www.foxnews.com/sports/2018/02/05/edwin-jackson-indianapolis-colts-linebacker-was-killed-by-illegal-immigrant-police-say.html
Edwin Jackson, Indianapolis Colts linebacker, was killed by an illegal
immigrant, police say

The suspected drunk driver who killed Indianapolis Colts linebacker
Edwin Jackson in a crash on the morning of the Super Bowl is a
Guatemalan citizen who is in the U.S. illegally and has been deported
twice, police revealed Monday.

Indiana State Police identified the driver of an F-150 truck in the
incident as Manuel Orrego-Savala, 37, who had been deported in 2007
and 2009.

“State police investigators are working with U.S. Federal Immigration
Officials and they have placed a hold on Orrego-Savala,” police said
in a statement.

Jackson, 26, and Jeffrey Monroe, 54, also in his vehicle, were hit and
killed around 4 a.m. on Sunday on Interstate 70 in Indiana.

Investigators believe Monroe was Jackson’s Uber driver and Jackson was
the passenger, FOX59 reported. The station said at some point during
the ride Jackson became sick, and the pair were hit on the emergency
shoulder of the highway after Monroe pulled over.

A state trooper who responded to the crash also struck the body of one
of the victims in the center lane when he slowed his cruiser down to
investigate, according to FOX59.

Orrego-Savala fled the scene but was arrested shortly thereafter by
the responding officer. He then gave police the alias of Alex Cabrera
Gonsales. Jail records viewed by Fox News on Monday morning said
Orrego-Savala, under the alias of Gonsales, was driving without a
license and is believed to have a blood alcohol level of .15 at the
time of the crash.

"The loss of life at the hands of illegal immigrant criminals should
make all Hoosiers sad and ultimately angry," Rep. Todd Rokita, R-Ind.,
said in a statement. "We must do more to get these dangerous illegal
immigrant criminals off of our streets, and guarantee this never
happens again by building a wall, ending sanctuary cities, and
stopping illegal immigration once and for all."

It was not immediately clear when Orrego-Savala re-entered the U.S.
after being deported in 2009. But Indiana State Police Sgt. John
Perrine told Fox News that Orrego-Savala has used the Gonsales alias
enough times "to create a paper trail."

Orrego-Savala is currently being held at the Marion County Jail and
police say they are working to file criminal charges.