OT: What's the deal with all these Italian and other AltObits-littering postings ???
Add Reply
Bryan Styble
2017-07-25 21:33:21 UTC
What on earth can be done about all these darned foreign postings--in Italian of late, but sometimes in Portuguese and in additional cases G-d-knows what other tongues--which keep plaguing alt-obits nowadays?

I'm guessing that "Absolutely nothing" is the correct answer to that question. Other than making lots of users fantasize about killing these posters, what does ANY of this have to do with death?

And while I'm asking, here's something that is even MORE perplexing to a cyber-challenged mathematics nerd who, after more than two decades online, STILL hasn't be able to figure out the ins and outs of posting to this or any newsgroup (simply because none of my pals have ever participated in these forums): Why oh why does alt-obits keep getting those absolutely indecipherable cross-postings from posters like the ubiquitous "Wir Munchun Liebshoen" ?

Yes, I HAVE noticed that many if not all of the postings under that strange screen-name seem to relate somehow--but often ONLY quite tangentially--to occasional alt-obits poster "Marcus" (aka author Marc Catone of upstate New York) and his well-known Beatles interest and/or his political positions.

But I have NO idea where any of those postings originate, should I, y'know, actually sometime find myself curious enough about these seemingly-nonsensical threads to actually LOCATE one to determine what they're talking about, or how these people are even managing to cross-post them here in the first place! And vastly more important to me, why do they continue to so relentlessly litter the alt-obits landscape whilst providing, as far as I can discern, precisely zero added value to alt-obits discussions?

On a related matter: more than once over the years, several of you helpful folk herein have graciously (but also quite cryptically) suggested, "Why don't you just get yourself a good killfile?" Never MIND that no one has ever defined for me precisely what the heck a killfile IS in the first place; I presume, quite possibly erroneously, that it's a computer program which doesn't KILL certain files, but rather merely renders them invisible to the particular computer it is running on, correct?

But where do you GET something like this? Yeah, I know, I know: some website somewhere (and probably totally for free), rather than, say, at Best Buy or Target.

But again, that's presuming: (1) the user also knows how to find these websites and distinguish those which are prone to malware or other lurking threats; (2) the user knows (or at least understands and can properly) the website's downloading protocols, which SELDOM fail to utterly perplex me; (3) the user can determine which of the (presumably) several varieties of killfile available is appropriate for that particular model of computer; (4) the user knows how to install that software on his computer without inadvertently corrupting anything else already on there; and (5) the user knows how to run that software such that it masques the intended postings while not corrupting or deleting any other postings. (And I can hear all you cyber-sophisticates laughing uproariously at me right now, amazed how this Styble idiot is always so befuddled by what is mere second-nature to just about every other poster here. You've heard this before (though some seem to think I'm fibbing), but: Sorry, but I simply lack aptitude for this sort of thing, and few techo-geeks I've ever consulted seem to be able clearly explain much of this.

So what, in general, is going on here? Why can't folks merely post death-related material here, and place all the other stuff elsewhere? All explanation attempts shall be seriously appreciated--if not necessarily understood...

BRYAN STYBLE/Florida
Sarah Ehrett
2017-07-25 22:58:35 UTC
On Tue, 25 Jul 2017 14:33:21 -0700 (PDT), Bryan Styble
Post by Bryan Styble
On a related matter: more than once over the years, several of you helpful folk herein have graciously (but also quite cryptically) suggested, "Why don't you just get yourself a good killfile?"
A killfile is a function on your newsreader, Agent in my case, which
allows you the user to set a term which will be applied to any
message and it will then deal with the message based on your
instructions.

On Agent:

This is one criteria I can set using your name and email address
1. author :Bryan Styble <***@gmail.com>
2. author: Bryan Styble
3. From: any author @gmail.com

From your address

<***@gmail.com>

From the subject of the post

" What's the deal with all these Italian and other AltObits-littering
postings ???"

Use the entire title or just a portion to killfile the entire thread.

Just " AltObits-littering" would work.

Then decide if you want to kill the messages or you can mark them as
read with the option to look at them later.

My killfile contains only "delete message" and " Do not leave on
Server" tagged posts.

I don't expect this will be of any help to you but wth. :)
Nil
2017-07-25 23:07:59 UTC
Post by Bryan Styble
What on earth can be done about all these darned foreign
postings--in Italian of late, but sometimes in Portuguese and in
additional cases G-d-knows what other tongues--which keep plaguing
alt-obits nowadays?
I assume you mean the flurry of posts every few days that are
slandering some person unknown to us. I gather that it's some political
or public figure, and the spanner is calling them a "pedophile" and
other nasty names. It appears to be the spammer's personal crazy
obsession. Since they are posting from Google Groups and so are you,
you should take the time to flag those posts as spam (and they are
spam, as the guy is posting the same messages in dozens or other
groups.)
Post by Bryan Styble
Why oh
why does alt-obits keep getting those absolutely indecipherable
cross-postings from posters like the ubiquitous "Wir Munchun
Liebshoen" ?
Because they intentionally do it to harass people in other groups and
spread dissention and strife to this and other groups by bringing in
unrelated conversations from elsewhere to here. Those who do that are
known as "trolls". Best course of action is to just ignore them.
Post by Bryan Styble
On a related matter: more than once over the years, several of
you helpful folk herein have graciously (but also quite
cryptically) suggested, "Why don't you just get yourself a good
killfile?" Never MIND that no one has ever defined for me
precisely what the heck a killfile IS in the first place;
You should know that you are participating in a messaging network
called "Usenet" that's been in existance for decades, since nearly the
birth of the Internet. Usenet is wild and wooly - there are no rules
and anybody can post anything... and they do. The place is rife with
sad, sick trolls, but also with interesting people and topics.

Google Groups is just a portal into the Usenet and they provide an
interface for reading and posting to it, using your web browser. It's a
poor interface and lacks any useful features. You could also find
another Usenet portal (there are free and for-pay ones) and use a
special program on your computer to access that portal. That program is
called a "newsreader" and they generally lots of useful features... one
of which is "killfile". A good killfile will let you filter out any
user names, subjects, crossposts, etc. that you never want to see,
according to your criteria. It's like telling the computer to
automatically press "delete" whenever it sees one of the things you
already know you don't want to see (known trolls, obviously incendiary
politial or religious terms, porn, etc.) Unfortunately, Google Groups
doesn't have any such feature. You'd have to use a "real" news service
and newsreader.

If you ever want to look into it, check out the free Usenet service at
<http://www.eternal-september.org/> and any one of several free
newsreaders, such as Mozilla Thunderbird. It's all a little techy to
set up, but once done, it makes your Usenet experience a whole lot
better.
Dresden Houndiearfums
2017-07-26 09:34:22 UTC
Post by Bryan Styble
Why oh
why does alt-obits keep getting those absolutely indecipherable
cross-postings from posters like the ubiquitous "Wir Munchun
Liebshoen" ?
Because they intentionally do it to harass people in other groups and
spread dissention and strife to this and other groups by bringing in
unrelated conversations from elsewhere to here. Those who do that are
known as "trolls". Best course of action is to just ignore them.
Such wise advice from the great Nil who always is the adult in whatever
room he is in. Nil bestows his gift so we can learn from him. His
message can never be silenced by the nasty trolls who descend upon us
from Iraq to cause dissention.
Post by Nil
Post by Bryan Styble
On a related matter: more than once over the years, several of
you helpful folk herein have graciously (but also quite
cryptically) suggested, "Why don't you just get yourself a good
killfile?" Never MIND that no one has ever defined for me
precisely what the heck a killfile IS in the first place;
You should know that you are participating in a messaging network
called "Usenet" that's been in existance for decades, since nearly the
birth of the Internet. Usenet is wild and wooly - there are no rules
and anybody can post anything... and they do. The place is rife with
sad, sick trolls, but also with interesting people and topics.
The latter of course being Nil who is the modern day Jesus Christ of the
Usenet. Nil was sent here by God to absolve us of our wild and wooly
sins and cleanse each newsgroup so that it is ready to receive Nil's
holy words.
Post by Nil
[...]
Always make sure you put Nil on your whitelist so his words will always
come through and negate the nasty trolls. Remember (because Nil will
never let you forget), that Nil's words are the words of the Lord. It is
through Nil that the gift of knowledge about anything and everything
will be bestowed upon us all.
Post by Nil
If you ever want to look into it, check out the free Usenet service at
<http://www.eternal-september.org/> and any one of several free
newsreaders, such as Mozilla Thunderbird. It's all a little techy to
set up, but once done, it makes your Usenet experience a whole lot
better.
The service might be a little "techy" but with Nil's great grace the
effort will be rewarded with Nil's divine guidance to get through the
setup. Once you get it up, Nil will bend over for you.