4th Baron Melchett 1948-2018
2018-08-31 15:35:41 UTC
Peter Robert Henry Mond,4th Baron Melchett,born February 24th 1948,
died August 31st 2018 according to numerous cources.

He inherited his title,created for an ancestor who was the first
chairman of Imperial Chemical Industries,at 25 in 1973,and promptly
became part of the Labour Party contingent in the House of Lords,
rising to Minister of State in the Callaghan goverment.When Thatcher
took power in 1979 he was out of office and turned from politics
to environmental groups,serving in key offices with Greenpeace UK
and the Soil Association,and getting arrested for direct action
in accord with his fanatical views on genetically modified crops.

He returned to the House of Lords briefly in 1999 to vote to remove
the right of hereditary peers like himself to sit (he did not offer
himself as a candidate for any remaining hereditary-peer seats),
and deliberately had his son out of wedlock so the title would die
out rather than be inherited by the son.(He and his domestic
partner Cassandra Wedd were together 46 years).

The title thus dies with him,and the percentage of hereditary peers
who are entitled to sit in the Lords thus increases.

Ian Partridge
2018-09-01 09:18:31 UTC
"Louis Epstein" <***@top.put.com> wrote in message
> Peter Robert Henry Mond,4th Baron Melchett,born February 24th 1948,
> died August 31st 2018 according to numerous cources.
>
> He inherited his title,created for an ancestor who was the first
> chairman of Imperial Chemical Industries,at 25 in 1973,and promptly
> became part of the Labour Party contingent in the House of Lords,
> rising to Minister of State in the Callaghan goverment.When Thatcher
> took power in 1979 he was out of office and turned from politics
> to environmental groups,serving in key offices with Greenpeace UK
> and the Soil Association,and getting arrested for direct action
> in accord with his fanatical views on genetically modified crops.

"...fanatical..." ? this word is a bit strong for an obituary. I remember
they were all acquited by a jury who decided that the genitically modified
test crop they destroyed potentialy harmful.

Ian

Louis Epstein
2018-09-02 04:19:25 UTC
In alt.talk.royalty Ian Partridge <***@ipartridge.freeserve.co.uk> wrote:

> "Louis Epstein" <***@top.put.com> wrote in message
>> Peter Robert Henry Mond,4th Baron Melchett,born February 24th 1948,
>> died August 31st 2018 according to numerous cources.
>>
>> He inherited his title,created for an ancestor who was the first
>> chairman of Imperial Chemical Industries,at 25 in 1973,and promptly
>> became part of the Labour Party contingent in the House of Lords,
>> rising to Minister of State in the Callaghan goverment.When Thatcher
>> took power in 1979 he was out of office and turned from politics
>> to environmental groups,serving in key offices with Greenpeace UK
>> and the Soil Association,and getting arrested for direct action
>> in accord with his fanatical views on genetically modified crops.
>>

> "...fanatical..." ? this word is a bit strong for an obituary. I remember
> they were all acquited by a jury who decided that the genitically modified
> test crop they destroyed potentialy harmful.

That travesty of a capitulation to their scaremongering
is itself evidence of their fanaticism.

Terry del Fuego
2018-09-02 13:17:48 UTC
On Sun, 2 Sep 2018 04:19:25 +0000 (UTC), Louis Epstein
<***@top.put.com> wrote:

>That travesty of a capitulation to their scaremongering
>is itself evidence of their fanaticism.

If you had even the slightest fraction of a near-attempt at something
almost resembling self-awareness...ah, never mind.

Asperger's is a bitch.
Kenny McCormack
2018-09-02 14:13:59 UTC
In article <***@4ax.com>,
Terry del Fuego <***@hotmail.com> cunningly wrote:
>If you had even the slightest fraction of a near-attempt at something
>almost resembling self-awareness...ah, never mind.

Nominated for post of the year!

>Asperger's is a bitch.

So true. So true.

--
The book "1984" used to be a cautionary tale;
Now it is a "how-to" manual.