Elizabeth Kouhi, 100, Canadian poet/novelist
2018-01-12 16:02:30 UTC
She lived in Thunder Bay, Ontario. The service will be tomorrow.

(I would have had her on the oldest-writers list, but I wasn't sure she was alive.)

http://www.legacy.com/obituaries/chroniclejournal/obituary.aspx?pid=187772263

First half:

Elizabeth Kouhi, aged 100 years, died peacefully in her sleep on Friday morning, January 5, 2018, at Roseview Manor. Elizabeth was born in Lappe, Ontario, on November 24, 1917, to Aliina (Keisteri) and Antti Kaija. She served in the RCAF in Toronto during WWII, graduated from McGill University in 1949 and then went to teach in Raith where she met her husband, George. The couple moved to Fort William with their four children in 1958 and Elizabeth continued her teaching career at Lakehead College, Northwood High School, and Sir Winston Churchill High School where she taught for many years. The camp at Warnica Lake, from the early sixties onward, was a place of refreshment and inspiration. After retirement she had a second career as a writer of poetry and children's fiction and travelled extensively with her husband George, including trips to Finland, the land of their ancestors. Elizabeth's faith in Jesus and her love of poetry were the most important things in her life in addition to her love for family and friends. Elizabeth and George were charter members of Calvary Lutheran Church and active in congregational life. They also supported the Association for Community Living and its predecessors, with Elizabeth editing the newsletter for many years. She was the first recipient of the Northwestern Ontario Writers Workshop Kouhi Award, established to recognize “outstanding contributions to the literature of Northwestern Ontario” and named by her fellow writers in her honour...

(snip)

From "Contemporary Authros":

Kouhi: "I have always wanted to write. Since retiring from teaching I have had more time to concentrate on writing, and I now consider it my full-time profession. I started writing children's novels when my children were young, using local historical material. Both Jamie of Thunder Bay and Sarah Jane of Silver Islet are set here in the last century, the first about the fur trade and the second set in a mining town. The Story of Philip is a picture book about our developmentally handicapped son. North Country Spring and Round Trip Home are books of poetry. Although the books are not autobiographical, they do perhaps reflect the ambitions of the country kid that I was. Indirectly my poetry reflects my ideas on social justice and basic spiritual values, as well as the wonder at the riches of this world in nature, arts, literature, and so on."

WRITINGS BY THE AUTHOR:

Jamie of Thunder Bay (juvenile novel), Borealis Press, 1977.

North Country Spring (juvenile poetry), Penumbra Press, 1980.

The Story of Philip (juvenile), Queenston House, 1982.

Sarah Jane of Silver Islet (juvenile novel), Queenston House, 1983.

Round Trip Home (adult poetry), Penumbra Press, 1983.

Naming: Poems, Penumbra Press, (Waterloo, Ont.), 1994.

No words in English: A Novel, North Star Press of St. Cloud, (St. Cloud, MN), 1999.

2018-01-12 16:36:08 UTC
I found five more books -

Escape To White Otter Castle, 1993,

Jamie of Fort William, 1995,
("a...Canadian story of a boy who realizes his dream of become a fur trader. Adventure and hardships are interspersed with factual references to the hard work behind the glamour.")

Trick or Treat by the Railway Tracks, 1999,
("A boy's adventures in the upper Ottawa valley in a small railway town set in the early twentieth century focusing on Halloween. Halloween was coming. Jims school was planning a big Halloween party. Students from the youngest to the oldest were involved in the planning. But in the community during the dark autumn nights other plans were being made, into which Jim was being reluctantly drawn. That autumn was not all just Halloween a trip into town on the local train, a weekend at a trappers cabin, a fishing afternoon, and bears, reflected life as it was lived by 13-year-old Jim in his 1920s railway village.")

Michael builds a frog house, 2002
("A young boy builds a frog house with his blanket and chairs.")

Growing Masks, 2006 - poetry.

Also, "The Wolf's Eye: Twenty Stories from Northwestern Ontario," 1995, has at least one story by Kouhi.

Book covers:

https://www.google.com/search?biw=1920&bih=947&tbm=isch&sa=1&ei=a95YWtRbhtePBKr4oagD&q=%22elizabeth+kouhi%22+books&oq=%22elizabeth+kouhi%22+books&gs_l=psy-ab.3...47795.48473.0.49000.2.2.0.0.0.0.68.123.2.2.0....0...1c.1.64.psy-ab..0.0.0....0.tuCY3suVt50#imgrc=_

Jamie of Thunder Bay (juvenile novel), Borealis Press, 1977.
("Jamie is travelling with the voyageurs so he will be able to provide for his mother and sisters." "Jamie, a young Canadian boy in Thunder Bay, longs to be a fur trader in the early history of Canada. He works for his uncle in the North West Company, a fur trading company, as a clerk.")

The Story of Philip (juvenile), Queenston House, 1982.
("When Philip came home from the hospital with his Mother, he was a wee, happy baby. As he began to grow, he did not talk very much and couldn't play all the neighbourhood games. But he played with his baby sister, made things at school for his family and learned all sorts of lessons. The most important was how to be happy and kind and loving.")

Sarah Jane of Silver Islet (juvenile novel), Queenston House, 1983.
("Story is set in a mining community in 1870 and 13-year-old Sarah Jane McKay is distraught at having to relocate to a new setting.")

No words in English: A Novel, North Star Press of St. Cloud, (St. Cloud, MN), 1999.
("When six-year-old Anna and her family stepped off the boat from Finland onto the Canadian shore, the English language spoken around her seemed to have no words, just gutteral sounds, and seemed impossible to learn. Schooling demanded that she learn English. This posed just one of many difficulties faced by Anna and her family as they struggled to survive in the harsh Canadian wilderness.")