Robert D. Hales 1932-2017
2017-10-02 00:23:23 UTC
Elder Robert D. Hales of the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles of the
Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints,born August 24th 1932,died
today,October 1st,2017,it was announced today at the Church's
Semiannual General Conference.It had been announced on Thursday that
he would not attend.

In April 1994 he joined the Quorum as its youngest member,and in
April 1975 he had become an Assistant to the Twelve as the church's
youngest General Authority of any rank...at the 1994 Conference he
mentioned in his first address as an Apostle that in 1975 LeGrand Richards
(1886-1983) had said to him "oh,to be a boy again,with my whole life ahead
of me!",and said that on that day in 1994 he was "a boy again",with
apostles who had served half his life among his new colleagues.

Church President Thomas S. Monson(born 1927),who is the only sitting
apostle to have served for most of the time Hales has been alive,did
not attend.

Catholic Cardinal Cormac Murphy O'Connor.who was born the same day
as Hales,died a month ago...they go down as a less long-lived
"matched cardinal" pair of religious leaders than Franz Cardinal Konig
(August 3 1905-March 2004) and Anglican Bishop Roger P. Wilson(August 3
1905-March 2002).

The death of Hales moves the distinctly juvenile (by Mormon standards)
Jeffrey R. Holland(born December 1940) up to fourth in line to succeed
Monson,behind Russell M. Nelson(born 1924),Dallin H. Oaks(12 days older
than Hales),and M. Russell Ballard(born 1928).

Okiku Saji
Perhaps it's time to revive your list of the prominent aged?
Louis Epstein
2017-10-02 15:55:10 UTC
Post by Okiku Saji
Post by Louis Epstein
[...]
It compiled persons of notoriety born in or before 1908...who are
nearly extinct,the shifting roster of those known for longevity alone
being all that survive.Former LDS president Gordon B. Hinckley
(born June 23 1910) was my benchmark against expansion,along with
Heinlein's fictional longevity exemplar Woodrow Wilson "Lazarus Long"
Smith(November 11,1912).

I will note that when I first got access to full Apostle rosters in
1989/90 (though I have tracked LDS leaders' longevity since at least
1972) there were two pairs very close in age,Nelson and Packer one
day apart,and Ballard and Scott 30 days apart,and the appointment
of Hales (the first since Scott five and a half years earlier) created
another 12 days apart.

Since May 2015 the younger member of all three of those pairs has died
while the elder survives.
Post by Okiku Saji
Okiku Saji
Perhaps shift to 1928.
Louis Epstein
2017-10-03 01:03:19 UTC
Post by Okiku Saji
Post by Louis Epstein
Post by Okiku Saji
Post by Louis Epstein
[...]
That would break my promise repeated in all versions not to list
anyone born after "Lazarus Long" until such person could break Jeanne
Calment's record.
Post by Okiku Saji
Post by Louis Epstein
Post by Okiku Saji