'I Go Crazy' songwriter Paul Davis, 60 yrs & 1 day, dies at Miss. hospital
Add Reply
a***@gmail.com
2008-04-22 21:47:36 UTC
http://www.wreg.com/Global/story.asp?S=8210579

Paul Davis, a singer and songwriter whose soft rock hit "I Go Crazy"
stayed at the top of the charts for weeks after its release in 1977,
has died at a Mississippi hospital.

Davis died Tuesday at Rush Foundation Hospital in Meridian, the city
where he grew up and returned to years later. His cousin, James
Edwards of Nashville, said Davis died of a heart attack. Davis was 60.

Davis was a singer and songwriter, whose other popular hits included
"65 Love Affair;" "You're Still New To Me," a country duet with Marie
Osmond; and "Ride 'Em Cowboy."

His 1977 album "Singer of Songs -- Teller of Tales" featured the
ballad "I Go Crazy."

According to Billboard's Web site the song had a slow climb up the
charts, peaking at No. 7 eight months after its release. The song
stayed in the Top 100 for 40 more weeks.

~~~

Paul Davis-I go Crazy @ youtube:

Kris Baker
2008-04-22 22:11:35 UTC
Post by a***@gmail.com
http://www.wreg.com/Global/story.asp?S=8210579
Paul Davis, a singer and songwriter whose soft rock hit "I Go Crazy"
stayed at the top of the charts for weeks after its release in 1977,
has died at a Mississippi hospital.
Davis died Tuesday at Rush Foundation Hospital in Meridian, the city
where he grew up and returned to years later. His cousin, James
Edwards of Nashville, said Davis died of a heart attack. Davis was 60.
Davis was a singer and songwriter, whose other popular hits included
"65 Love Affair;" "You're Still New To Me," a country duet with Marie
Osmond; and "Ride 'Em Cowboy."
His 1977 album "Singer of Songs -- Teller of Tales" featured the
ballad "I Go Crazy."
According to Billboard's Web site the song had a slow climb up the
charts, peaking at No. 7 eight months after its release. The song
stayed in the Top 100 for 40 more weeks.
I'm sure he was a good man, but that "I Go Crazy" is an earworm
of the worst kind.

Kris
La N
2008-04-23 00:24:22 UTC
< > I'm sure he was a good man, but that "I Go Crazy" is an earworm
of the worst kind.
Ehem. I disagree with this post!

I loved it:

http://youtu.be/_L886mjb0O8

RIP: Paul Davis

- nilita
Tom Nawrocki
2008-04-22 23:08:21 UTC
Post by a***@gmail.com
http://www.wreg.com/Global/story.asp?S=8210579
Paul Davis, a singer and songwriter whose soft rock hit "I Go Crazy"
stayed at the top of the charts for weeks after its release in 1977,
has died at a Mississippi hospital.
Davis died Tuesday at Rush Foundation Hospital in Meridian, the city
where he grew up and returned to years later.
Al Wilson was also from Meridian.

Oil Can Boyd better watch his back.

Tom Nawrocki
Charlene
2008-04-22 23:29:10 UTC
Post by Tom Nawrocki
Post by a***@gmail.com
http://www.wreg.com/Global/story.asp?S=8210579
Paul Davis, a singer and songwriter whose soft rock hit "I Go Crazy"
stayed at the top of the charts for weeks after its release in 1977,
has died at a Mississippi hospital.
Davis died Tuesday at Rush Foundation Hospital in Meridian, the city
where he grew up and returned to years later.
Al Wilson was also from Meridian.
Oil Can Boyd better watch his back.
You know who else was born in Meridian? Fred Phelps.

wd44
Chris
Now that would be a triad !!
2008-04-23 00:51:46 UTC
x-no-archive: yes
Post by Charlene
Post by Tom Nawrocki
Post by a***@gmail.com
http://www.wreg.com/Global/story.asp?S=8210579
Paul Davis, a singer and songwriter whose soft rock hit "I Go Crazy"
stayed at the top of the charts for weeks after its release in 1977,
has died at a Mississippi hospital.
Davis died Tuesday at Rush Foundation Hospital in Meridian, the city
where he grew up and returned to years later.
Al Wilson was also from Meridian.
Oil Can Boyd better watch his back.
You know who else was born in Meridian? Fred Phelps.
I never heard Fred Phelps sing.
(nor do I want to)
a***@gmail.com
2008-04-23 02:19:11 UTC
Post by Charlene
You know who else was born in Meridian? Fred Phelps.
wd44
Notable singers from Meridian Ms.:

Ty Herndon
Moe Bandy
Jimmy Ruffin

Per wikipedia - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Meridian%2C_Mississippi
Oil Can Boyd is a singer? <g>
ZapRat
2008-04-23 11:27:47 UTC
http://noted.blogs.com/westcoastmusic/2008/04/remembering-pau.html

April 23, 2008

Remembering Paul Davis

Regarding www.wtok.com, we sadly learn by Reporter Chris Brennaman that
Paul Davis passed away.

Paul Davis is a name that may not be the most recognizable by the
general public in the music industry, even for people of his hometown of
Meridian. But nearly everyone knows some of his hit songs.

"If you take Paul Davis' biography, it's going to be very small," said
Van Mac of WOKK/The Radio People. "If you start stacking up his
contributions to the music industry, it's very large. It's funny; he had
so many hit records and the average person might not even know who Paul
Davis is."

Davis released eight albums in his career with six singles reaching the
top 20 on the Adult Contemporary charts, his highest being "Cool Night"
which reached number two.

"Paul Davis, a singer/songwriter with a little bit of country influence,
but with pop songs from the 60s and 70s that gave us great songs kind of
like this one that we are going to start our double shot with, as we pay
tribute to a Meridian legend. This is a double shot for Paul Davis on
106.9 The Buzz," said announcer Scott Stevens on 106.9 the Buzz.

Davis passed away at Rush Hospital from a heart attack. He was 60 years old.

His hit "I Go Crazy" reached Number 7 on the Billboard Top 100 Charts,
and remained in the Top 100 for an incredible 40 weeks.

His songs "Cool Night," and "'65 Love Affair" also reached the Top 10 in
1981 and 1982, respectively.

Six of his recordings reached into the Top 10 on either the Billboard or
Country charts. Davis was inducted into the Jimmie Rodgers Hall of Fame
in Meridian in 1987.

SoHillsGuy
2008-04-23 16:41:22 UTC
Post by a***@gmail.com
His 1977 album "Singer of Songs -- Teller of Tales" featured the
ballad "I Go Crazy."
According to Billboard's Web site the song had a slow climb up the
charts, peaking at No. 7 eight months after its release. The song
stayed in the Top 100 for 40 more weeks.
And that was a time when such a chart run really meant something, too.

A great song...still one of my ten favorites of all time.

A sad day. Thanks for the music, Paul.
d***@gmail.com
2017-07-12 02:55:40 UTC
I loved Paul's simple songs. Listen to Roby Duke, another little-known but great artist out of Mississippi.