Nola Ochs, 105, Guinness-verified world's oldest college graduate (age 95, 2006)
That Derek
2016-12-11 04:40:04 UTC
Inspiring story, but it neglects to say whether Ms. Ochs pronounced her name like "oaks" (like the folk singer) or "ox" (like the NY Times publishing family)

http://www.hdnews.net/news/oldest-fhsu-graduate-ochs-dies-at/article_36bb8e87-a639-55c5-bcf9-720165c61b2b.html

Oldest FHSU graduate Ochs dies at 105

By JUNO OGLE ***@dailynews.net

7 hrs ago

She thought of herself as just another student, a life-long learner, but Nola Ochs became much more than that when she sought to finish her bachelor’s degree at Fort Hays State University in 2006.

Ochs, who became a Guinness World Records holder as the world’s oldest college graduate when she received a bachelor’s in general studies at age 95 in 2007, died Friday in Dodge City. She was 105.

“I was just another student,” Ochs said in a press conference after that graduation ceremony, where she received a standing ovation as then-Gov. Kathleen Sebelius handed her the diploma in Gross Memorial Coliseum. Special accommodations had to be made for all the media attracted to her story. Not long after, she even made an appearance on “The Tonight Show” with Jay Leno, and her image can still be found on internet memes, most notably one picturing her speaking in a class with the caption “Corrects history professor. Remembers being there.” She was also featured in a documentary, “Over 90 and Loving It,” which also featured folk singer Pete Seeger.

She never intended to be in the spotlight, but she used it to share her love of learning.

“My main reason to enjoy it is to bring attention to our learning at colleges,” she told The Hays Daily News just days before graduation in 2007. “There’s no end to our education if we desire to keep learning, and today there’s so much new to learn.”

She didn’t stop with the bachelor’s degree, enrolling the next fall in graduate school at FHSU and working as a graduate teaching assistant. She obtained a master’s in liberal studies with a concentration in history in May 2010, and continued taking classes for enjoyment after that.

“It occupies my time pleasurably,” Ochs told HDN as she enrolled for graduate school. “I enjoy the learning. I enjoy the association with the students and professors. It strictly is something that I enjoy doing. I know that that’s good for my overall well being, my health and happiness.”

The university commemorated her 100th birthday in 2011 at a home basketball game. More than 100 of her family members attended a reception in the Victor E. Tiger Lounge before the game.

At halftime, she blew out the candles on a birthday cake at center court after family, friends and fans sang “Happy Birthday.”

Shortly after that, she moved back to the family farm near Jetmore, where she wrote her memoirs, which is in the process of being published, according to her obituary. A notice of her passing appears in today’s HDN.

Ochs was born Nov. 22, 1911, near Ramsey, Ill., the oldest daughter of Olile and Ethel Hill. They moved to a farm near Ainsworth, Neb., then to Jetmore in 1927.

She graduated from Dodge City High School in 1929 and taught four terms in rural one-room schoolhouses in Hodgeman County.

She married Vernon Ochs on Sept. 3, 1933, and they had four sons. Vernon Ochs died on Jan 30, 1972.

In 1978, Ochs signed up for a tennis class at Dodge City Community College.

“I wanted something just to get away from the farm,” she told HDN in 2007.

She continued taking classes and received an associate’s degree from Dodge City in 1988, then enrolled as a full-time student at St. Mary of the Plains College in 1991. That college closed before she could finish a bachelor’s degree, however.

Funeral services will be at 10:30 a.m. Thursday at Grace Community Church, Dodge City. Visitation will be from 9 a.m. to 8 p.m. Tuesday and Wednesday at Beckwith Funeral Home, Jetmore. Graveside services will be at 2:30 p.m. at the Fairmount Cemetery, Jetmore.

In lieu of flowers, memorials may be made to the Hodgeman County Long Term Care Center, Jetmore, in care of Beckwith Funeral Home, Box 663, Jetmore, Kansas 67854.
Sarah Ehrett's Lesbian Love Interest
2016-12-12 16:30:09 UTC
No doubt died deeply in debt. I wonder if they'll pursue her grandchildren to collect her student loans?
Louis Epstein
2017-01-02 00:07:35 UTC
Post by That Derek
Inspiring story, but it neglects to say whether Ms. Ochs pronounced her name like "oaks" (like the folk singer) or "ox" (like the NY Times publishing family)
While I have long intuitively pronounced the NY Times family's name
"ox",I note that their kinfolk changed their name to "Oakes"
(former NYT editorial page editor,the first to be given that title
rather than nominally being THE editor despite having no control
outside the opinion pages,John B. Oakes,was the son of a brother
of Adolph S. Ochs who changed his name to Oakes).Would they have
done so if they pronounced it differently?

-=-=-
David Carson
2017-01-02 01:15:47 UTC
Post by Louis Epstein
Post by That Derek
Inspiring story, but it neglects to say whether Ms. Ochs pronounced her name like "oaks" (like the folk singer) or "ox" (like the NY Times publishing family)
While I have long intuitively pronounced the NY Times family's name
"ox",I note that their kinfolk changed their name to "Oakes"
(former NYT editorial page editor,the first to be given that title
rather than nominally being THE editor despite having no control
outside the opinion pages,John B. Oakes,was the son of a brother
of Adolph S. Ochs who changed his name to Oakes).Would they have
done so if they pronounced it differently?
The Ochsners in my family pronounce it as "ock-shner." I know of others
who pronounce it "ock-sner" (or "ox-ner"). I've never heard "oak-sner."
Lewis Perin
2017-01-02 02:18:10 UTC
Post by David Carson
Post by Louis Epstein
Post by That Derek
Inspiring story, but it neglects to say whether Ms. Ochs pronounced
her name like "oaks" (like the folk singer) or "ox" (like the NY
Times publishing family)
While I have long intuitively pronounced the NY Times family's name
"ox",I note that their kinfolk changed their name to "Oakes"
(former NYT editorial page editor,the first to be given that title
rather than nominally being THE editor despite having no control
outside the opinion pages,John B. Oakes,was the son of a brother
of Adolph S. Ochs who changed his name to Oakes).Would they have
done so if they pronounced it differently?
The Ochsners in my family pronounce it as "ock-shner." I know of others
who pronounce it "ock-sner" (or "ox-ner"). I've never heard "oak-sner."
The German word Ochs (which means ox!) is pronounced in a way that
sounds more like Oakes than Ox in English.

/Lew
---
Lew Perin / ***@acm.org
http://babelcarp.org
Bryan Styble
2017-01-02 04:10:58 UTC
And of course the Ochs brothers, late folksinger Phil and surviving rock archivist Michael, who as all Greenwich Village-scene types know has always pronounced it "oaks".

BRYAN STYBLE/Florida
MJ Emigh
2017-01-02 04:23:24 UTC
Post by Bryan Styble
And of course the Ochs brothers, late folksinger Phil and surviving rock archivist Michael, who as all Greenwich Village-scene types know has always pronounced it "oaks".
BRYAN STYBLE/Florida
Just curious, do you know Sonny? I haven't seen her in many years, now. I'm sure I could dig up an email address, but I was just wondering if we had a mutual friend. If there's one, there are probably more.

-MJ