NYC's BB King's Blues Club & Grill- closes tonight (4/29) w/ Buddy Guy
2018-04-29 15:14:04 UTC
In the early 1990s, B.B. King and his guitar "Lucille" were doing TV ads for KFC.

Roughly ten years later, mr. King was doing ads for diabetic testing supplies.

You do the math.

https://www.billboard.com/articles/business/8347122/bb-king-blues-club-nyc-closing-rent-times-square

B.B. King Blues Club in NYC Is Closing After 18 Years, Citing High Rent

4/18/2018
by Billboard Staff

B.B. King Blues Club & Grill in the heart of New York City's Times Square will shut its doors this month after 18 years in business, citing rising rents in the neighborhood it says it helped revive. Since opening in 2000 on West 42nd Street, the club named for the late blues icon has played host to Aretha Franklin, James Brown, Jay-Z and other influential acts.

The club said on Tuesday that its final show will take place on April 29 with blues legend Buddy Guy. Rick Ross, Slick Rick, Doug E. Fresh and George Clinton are also slated to perform in the venue's final weeks. A new location in Manhattan is being sought, but no other details were given.

"Despite many sold out shows, the [Times Square] location's rent escalated to an unsustainable level, leaving us no choice but to close our doors," said Tsion Bensusan of venue operator TSE Group. "Unfortunately this has become a growing trend in New York City, with other iconic music venues and businesses falling victim to opportunistic property owners. This venue’s legacy extends much further than the stage, playing a role in Times Square’s revitalization two decades ago. It is a shame that wasn’t taken into consideration regarding its future in the area."

The B.B. King Blues Club & Grill is now independent from the B.B. King's Blues Club chain, which launched in 1991 on Beale Street in Memphis and currently has locations in Nashville, Orlando, New Orleans and Montgomery, Ala.

King died in May of 2015.

B.B. King Blues Club & Grill Closing Week Celebration Show Schedule:

April 17 & 18: Buddy Guy
April 22: William Bell's Memphis Soul Revue
April 23: Rick Ross
April 25: Slick Rick & Doug E. Fresh + Special Guests
April 26: El Gran Combo
April 28: George Clinton & Parliament Funkadelic + Special Guests
April 29: Buddy Guy
Larc
2018-04-29 20:38:47 UTC
On Sun, 29 Apr 2018 08:14:04 -0700 (PDT), That Derek <***@yahoo.com> wrote:

| https://www.billboard.com/articles/business/8347122/bb-king-blues-club-nyc-closing-rent-times-square
|
| B.B. King Blues Club in NYC Is Closing After 18 Years, Citing High Rent
|

| "Despite many sold out shows, the [Times Square] location's rent escalated to an unsustainable level, leaving us no choice but to close our doors," said Tsion Bensusan of venue operator TSE Group. "Unfortunately this has become a growing trend in New York City, with other iconic music venues and businesses falling victim to opportunistic property owners. This venue’s legacy extends much further than the stage, playing a role in Times Square’s revitalization two decades ago. It is a shame that wasn’t taken into consideration regarding its future in the area."

Greed gets in the way of a lot of things. Now, wouldn't it be sad if the landlord
couldn't find a renter for this property after the club moves out?

Larc
MJ Emigh
2018-04-30 02:45:47 UTC
That's actually pretty likely. NYC has been having this happen for several years. I have a friend who is part of a small theater group that is a nonprofit. They have had deals for very inexpensive spaces four (I think) times. Every time, they help revitalize the immediate area and the rates are raised because it has become a desirable spot. The trick is to leave a dump a dump and hope people will risk going in.
Kenny McCormack
http://user.xmission.com/~gazelle/Sigs/DanaC
Aje RavenStar
2018-04-30 11:16:56 UTC
Post by MJ Emigh
Post by Larc
Greed gets in the way of a lot of things. Now, wouldn't it be sad if
the landlord couldn't find a renter for this property after the club
moves out?
That's actually pretty likely. NYC has been having this happen for several
years. I have a friend who is part of a small theater group that is a
nonprofit. They have had deals for very inexpensive spaces four (I think)
times. Every time, they help revitalize the immediate area and the rates
are raised because it has become a desirable spot. The trick is to leave a
dump a dump and hope people will risk going in.
Huh?
It's been happening with a lot of Houston restaurants too. They help
draw people into a revived area of town, landlord raises the rent and
erases the profit margin, place closes, sometimes relocating, sometimes
not. Area loses attractions, becomes less desirable. Did none of these
bean counters have the point of The Goose That Lays Golden Eggs
explained to them?