Former Idaho Gov. Cecil Andrus (D), 85, Gov./Idaho ('71-'77, 87-'95); Sec'y/Interior (Carter); conservationist
2017-08-25 15:05:41 UTC
https://www.washingtonpost.com/local/obituaries/the-latest-cecil-andrus-carters-interior-secretary-dies/2017/08/25/2c3a6042-899d-11e7-96a7-d178cf3524eb_story.html?utm_term=.8273bd62bf4c

Obituaries

The Latest: Cecil Andrus, Carter’s Interior Secretary, dies

By Associated Press

August 25 at 9:56 AM

BOISE, Idaho — The Latest on the death Cecil Andrus (all times local):

7:45 a.m.

Former Carter administration Interior Secretary Cecil Andrus, who engineered the conservation of millions of acres of Alaska land, has died.

Daughter Tracy Andrus says her father died late Thursday of complications from lung cancer. He was 85. A previous news release from the family said he died Wednesday.

Andrus was in his second term as Idaho governor when Jimmy Carter chose him as his interior secretary. Andrus later served two more terms as governor after his service in Washington, D.C.

Despite criticism from many Alaskans, the Carter administration declared more than 100 million acres of public land in the state as protected areas. A bill passed in Congress late in Carter’s term created national parks, wildlife refuges and national forests in much of that acreage.
___

This story has been corrected to show that Andrus died on Thursday.
danny burstein
2017-08-25 18:17:34 UTC
[snip]

His "Idaho Potato" tv commercial:

(well, one of them. I was thinking of another, maybe...,
when I just searched and found this one)
***@panix.com