Edgar 'Special Delivery' Jones, NFL old-timer
Louisiana Lou
2004-05-21 20:09:05 UTC
Edgar 'Special Delivery' Jones, dead at 84

May 21, 2004
http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=ap-obit-jones&prov=ap&type=lgns

SCRANTON, Pa. (AP) -- Edgar ``Special Delivery''
Jones, who played for the Cleveland Browns in the 1940s,
died at 84.

Jones, a Scranton native, died Tuesday, a funeral home
said Friday.

Jones starred in college at Pittsburgh, and the
Chicago Bears drafted him as a running back in the 19th
round in 1941. But he enlisted in the Navy and didn't join
the team until 1945. He played one game for them and started
with the Browns in 1946.

In 1948, Jones was invited to try out as a pitcher with the
Cleveland Indians. The Indians won their last World Series
that year, but Jones was not with the team.
He played through 1949 for the Browns, and then played a
year with the Hamilton Tigercats of what later became the
Canadian Football League.

Jones returned to Pitt in 1951 as a backfield coach and
coached two seasons. He coached the Pittsburgh Steelers'
backfield in 1953 but soon retired from football.

He worked as superintendent of Scranton Bureau of Recreation
from 1965-67 and founded a chapter of the Pennsylvania
Sports Hall of Fame. He was named to the state hall in 1983.
MWB
2004-05-21 20:16:47 UTC
Hey Lou, Long time no see.

Mark
Louisiana Lou
2004-05-22 00:52:18 UTC
Post by MWB
Hey Lou, Long time no see.
Mark
Can you see me now? <g> Lately my Usenet presence has been limited to
a few one-liners with my homies in neworleans.general (those crazy
bastards), but that's about it. I almost got to meet a few of those
folks, but it rained too hard the day I was going to drive down there.

Hey, how could I resist posting an obit for a RB named 'Special
Delivery'? I read on a message board that he did actually pitch a few
games for the Indians, but a lot of people thought it was just one of
Bill Veeck's gimmicks to attract fans. Before my time though.
Bill Schenley
2004-05-22 15:45:35 UTC
<snipped>
Post by Louisiana Lou
I read on a message board that he did actually pitch
a few games for the Indians, but a lot of people
thought it was just one of Bill Veeck's gimmicks to
attract fans. Before my time though.
He is not listed in "Total Baseball," the "Baseball
Encyclopedia" or on any Internet baseball reference site.
Veeck's most famous "gimmick," Eddie Gaedel, is.
KazamaSmokers
2004-06-10 20:16:53 UTC
Anyone know the current status of *wrestler* SD Jones??