Toronto murders and what the killer has in common with jihadists
2018-05-02 23:56:57 UTC
Maybe you saw this already?

Check the comments too - the NYT Picks mention things the op-ed writer didn't.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/04/30/opinion/sex-shame-incels-jihadists-minassian.html

2018-05-04 00:46:11 UTC
Boy, there's scary stuff...

I went to Google News and searched on incels.

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/opinion-futrelle-incels-toronto-terrorism_us_5ae8d130e4b06748dc8d2b95
(by David Futrelle)

https://www.thestranger.com/slog/2018/05/03/26131896/did-i-suggest-throwig-sex-workers-at-incels-spoiler-no-i-did-not/comments
(Dan Savage on incels - also, the comments are long, but interesting)

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/05/02/opinion/incels-sex-robots-redistribution.html#commentsContainer
(Conservative Ross Douthat on sex robots - I never thought I'd see the day)

One comment on that one:

"Incels don't want sex. They want to feel like they're not losers. They fully believe that being able to 'get sex' symbolizes that they're winners.

"This essay is irrelevant to the problem."

(I assume the commentator meant "get sex without paying for it." Also, as another person said in response to the first op-ed, incels are likely angry because they can't get women who look like models - and they feel entitled to them. They feel like losers if they sleep with anyone else. But, even the Declaration of Independence doesn't say you're entitled to happiness; it only says you have the right to PURSUE it - and maybe fail.)

https://www.independent.co.uk/voices/incels-alek-minassian-mra-mens-rights-terrorism-toronto-van-attack-a8323166.html

Quote:

...A post on a popular incel forum in the aftermath of the Toronto incident states that: “For every person who died at the hands of Alek Minassian/ER, there are 1,000 incels who have killed themselves alone”. Those who were murdered actually had it easy because “the normies that died had a swift instant death, the incels that kill themselves live a life of suffering and are just forgotten”.

They are also obsessed with the idea that women should have sex with them – that they’re entitled to it. One incel community member today posted, “By having sex with the guy you could’ve saved 10 lives.” They place the blame on to women for their misery, and in doing so provide the motivation and justification for acts of extreme violence like Minassian’s...

http://www.houstonpress.com/arts/the-myth-that-incels-want-sex-10443838
(about why we don't hear of, say, incel gay men committing violence - btw, it's followed by an article: "My Family Doesn’t Do Funerals")

2018-05-04 00:52:40 UTC
Forgot to say - remember another thread I started?

http://alt.obituaries.narkive.com/jDqpfLsV/about-all-the-school-shootings-this-january

I can't help but suspect these murders by incels prove his point about how we now value feelings over self-discipline and emotional self-control. (Of course, we don't know how many men in the distant PAST murdered strangers for the same reasons but never revealed why they were doing it.)

Lenona.
Meteorite Debris
2018-05-09 05:22:01 UTC
Post by l***@yahoo.com
Forgot to say - remember another thread I started?
http://alt.obituaries.narkive.com/jDqpfLsV/about-all-the-school-shootings-this-january
I can't help but suspect these murders by incels prove his point about how we now value feelings over self-discipline and emotional self-control. (Of course, we don't know how many men in the distant PAST murdered strangers for the same reasons but never revealed why they were doing it.)
Lenona.
Newspapers live to spread panic and hysteria. Lenona has fallen for it,
hook, liner and sinker, adding the extra bit of garnish - past murders,
thus multiplying the possibilities for hysteria by an almost infinite
factor. Newspapers are in the entertainment business, not the
information business.
Meteorite Debris
2018-05-09 05:15:09 UTC
Post by l***@yahoo.com
"Incels don't want sex.
How ignorant is this comment. The "IN" in incel means involuntary, as in
not wanted, not desired and not chosen.
l***@yahoo.com
2018-05-09 15:10:42 UTC
lenona says...
Post by l***@yahoo.com
"Incels don't want sex.
How ignorant is this comment. The "IN" in incel means involuntary, as in
not wanted, not desired and not chosen.
Saying they don't want sex is an exaggeration. But maybe the commentator's point was that incels don't know themselves as well as they think? For example, it's easy enough to hire a sex worker without fear of being arrested - yet they don't, or if they do, it's not enough. So sex is likely not their primary goal. Or, you might say, "incel" is just a cover-up for what they're really after - status in the eyes of other men. Besides, the word is likely used mostly by men who don't want to admit they're highly unappealing in one way or another. (Murderer George Sodini was good-looking and had a good job, but women wouldn't date him more than once; they probably sensed something was seriously wrong with him - and they were right.)

Lenona.
Meteorite Debris
Incels generally want meaningful relationships and not just a F$#@*.
David Carson
2018-05-10 12:27:30 UTC
Post by l***@yahoo.com
Saying they don't want sex is an exaggeration. But maybe the commentator's point was that incels don't know themselves as well as they think? For example, it's easy enough to hire a sex worker without fear of being arrested - yet they don't, or if they do, it's not enough. So sex is likely not their primary goal. Or, you might say, "incel" is just a cover-up for what they're really after - status in the eyes of other men. Besides, the word is likely used mostly by men who don't want to admit they're highly unappealing in one way or another. (Murderer George Sodini was good-looking and had a good job, but women wouldn't date him more than once; they probably sensed something was seriously wrong with him - and they were right.)
Surely there are many better ways of psychoanalyzing people you don't
understand than reading the comments sections of online newspapers.

Dead or Alive Data Base
http://www.doadb.com
Kenny McCormack
2018-05-10 13:17:35 UTC
Post by l***@yahoo.com
Post by l***@yahoo.com
[...]
Surely there are many better ways of posting text to Usenet, besides
whatever you're using, that don't just mush your comments together with
previously posted text.

There are these things called "quote markers" - you should look into it.
http://user.xmission.com/~gazelle/Sigs/Security
Meteorite Debris
2018-05-09 05:17:40 UTC
Post by l***@yahoo.com
"Incels don't want sex. They want to feel like they're not losers. They fully believe that being able to 'get sex' symbolizes that they're winners.
"This essay is irrelevant to the problem."
It's a wonder the NYT didn't try to link up incels to the
dreaded......dum roll....

The EVIL Russians and to Trump yadda yadda yadda.