Robert Torrey, musician, 22, car crash
d***@comcast.net
2005-07-02 18:17:47 UTC
Crash claims life of young musician

By Janice Nickerson, Enterprise correspondent
KINGSTON - An early morning accident claimed the life of a well-known
local musician on Friday as he traveled home on from playing guitar at
a solo gig in Sandwich.

Police said Robert J. Torrey, 22, apparently fell asleep at the wheel.
His vehicle crossed the road and struck a tree not far from his home at
136 County Road in Plympton.

Police said he died at the scene. He was alone in the vehicle. His
equipment and his guitar were in the car with him, police said.

Torrey, a 2001 graduate of Silver Lake High School, was employed at
Music Unlimited in Kingston. He was the youngest child of Alyce G. and
Robert J. Torrey and leaves two older siblings, Pamela and James
Torrey.

Silver Lake Regional High School Principal Richard Kelley said he
remembers the youngest member of the Torrey family.

"Singing and music was his thing. He was very active in the music
department. He was a really nice kid. He was in the chorus and drama
club and performed in "Little Shop of Horrors." He had a wide circle of
friends, lots of friends. It is very sad. He has a nice family and the
school community is mourning this loss," Kelley said.

Todd Laporte, manager of Music Unlimited, was also mourning the loss of
Torrey Friday.

"He was my right-hand man around the store. He was such a wonderful
human being. He was an all-around great and talented musician," he
said.

Torrey had a band called Buster Cherry and played both with the band
and alone, Laporte said Friday.

He played clubs in Plymouth, Sandwich and Hyannis and was scheduled to
play in the Fourth of July celebration in Plymouth on Monday.

Laporte said he learned of the accident early Friday morning through a
mutual friend, and had spoke to Torrey's older brother.

Laporte said Torrey came to work at the store after graduating from
Silver Lake.

At age 19, he began playing acoustic guitar and performing top-40 songs
at local establishments including the Mayflower Tavern in Kingston and
Sean O'Toole's in Plymouth. He also performed at the British Beer Co.
in Sandwich and Hyannis.

Manager Aidl McMenamin of Sean O'Toole's a Main Street restaurant and
bar, said Torrey "was a very talented musician, he was a great kid. I
met him during an open mike night, and booked him."

According to McMenamin, Torrey "had also performed across the street,
at Rip Tides."

McMenamin said he too learned of the tragic accident early Friday
morning as word traveled through the local music community.

Kingston police said the cause of the accident is under investigation
by the state police accident reconstruction unit with assistance from
Kingston Patrolman Steven Armstrong and the Plymouth County Bureau of
Criminal Investigation.

Plympton police officer Stephen Teri also responded to the accident
scene.
(South Boston.Com)
b***@gmail.com
2018-02-11 22:28:33 UTC
This is the first time I have read this. Bobby had 3 older siblings Melinda,James,and myself Pamela. Our parents are John W Torrey and Alyce G Torrey he was on his way home from the BBC in Hyannis MA. He played a solo gig because the rest of his band members did not show. I was on the phone with him at 12:47am when he told me how wonderful of a night he had although the rest of the band didn't make it there. We were on the phone together when he told me he was on route 106 in Kingston about 6 minutes from home as we were talking he had a call coming in which was his girlfriend at the time so he wanted to answer the call to let her know he was almost home. I told him how much I loved him and we went back and forth for a minute or two telling one another who loved who more then the phone went dead and I assumed he answered the other phone call.I tried calling back and got no answer. He ended up hitting a mail box on the opposite side of the road then hit the tree that killed him instantly.Robert John Torrey is and always will be a wonderful person and a great inspiration to all in the music industry. Rest in peace my baby brother you are remembered and thought about always.