Paul “PJ” Weitz, 85, NASA astronaut (1st manned Skylab; maiden voyage, Challenger)
2017-10-24 03:45:42 UTC
http://www.erienewsnow.com/story/36661377/astronaut-paul-weitz-dies-at-age-85-namesake-of-harbor-creek-high-stadium

Astronaut Paul Weitz Dies at Age 85 - Namesake of Harbor Creek High Stadium

Updated: Oct 23, 2017 2:57 PM EDT

By Lisa AdamsLikely the most famous graduate of Harborcreek High School, NASA astronaut Paul J. Weitz has died in Flagstaff, Arizona after a difficult battle with a form of cancer known as MDS or Myelodysplastic Syndromes.

Educated as an aeronautical engineer at Penn State, where he received his commission as an Ensign through the Naval ROTC program, Weitz served in various naval aircraft squadrons until NASA selected him as one of 19 astronauts in 1966.

Weitz flew into space twice. He served as pilot on the crew of Skylab-2, which launched on May 25 and ended on June 22, 1973. It was the first manned Skylab mission, and activated a 28-day flight, a new world record for a single mission.

Weitz, known by his friends as P.J., was spacecraft commander on the crew of STS-6, which launched from Kennedy Space Center on April 4, 1983. This was the maiden voyage of the Orbiter Challenger. Weitz and the crew conducted materials experiments in space, and tested support systems that would lead the way for future space walks.

In all, Paul Weitz logged a total of 793 hours in space. He was Deputy Director of the Johnson Space Center when he retired from NASA service in May 1994.

Erie honored him with a massive parade through the city when he returned from his first mission. At Harbor Creek High School, they named the stadium for Weitz. Friends and family, who called him P.J., knew Weitz as a low-key guy who liked to hunt and fish and was modest about his NASA career. His brother and sister-in-law John and Karen Berry say he was in Erie just a few weeks ago to spend time with family. Weitz ashes will be interred in Erie County. Funeral arrangements are expected to be private.
Sarah Ehrett
2017-10-24 08:27:23 UTC
I'm ashamed to say I didn't recognize his name.
Bryan Styble
2017-10-24 12:16:34 UTC
Identical sentiment from this quarter, Sarah!

And I pride myself on my knowledge of the space race! I mean, I can dispense all kinds of obscure details about, say, Gemini VI or Apollo XII or Voyager 2--and even went to the trouble to get to Canaveral to witness two of the final three Space Shuttle launches!--yet ol' P.J. nonetheless still managed to fly under my NASA radar.

2017-10-24 12:49:42 UTC
Post by Bryan Styble
Identical sentiment from this quarter, Sarah!
And I pride myself on my knowledge of the space race! I mean, I can dispense all kinds of obscure details about, say, Gemini VI or Apollo XII or Voyager 2--and even went to the trouble to get to Canaveral to witness two of the final three Space Shuttle launches!--yet ol' P.J. nonetheless still managed to fly under my NASA radar.
I know the name of the last person to set foot on the moon, and I know
the names and locations of the high school and (undergraduate) college
he attended too, as well as the names of both schools at the time of the
Apollo XVII mission (both schools had changed names between the time he
went to them and the time I did)....r
c***@aol.com
2017-10-24 14:16:22 UTC
I hadn’t heard the name either. Seems like I should have. Perhaps indicative of how remote the space program now seems.
Sarah Ehrett
RH, you must be the first person picked to play Trivial Pursuit. :)
RH Draney
2017-10-25 05:47:36 UTC
Post by Sarah Ehrett
Post by RH Draney
Post by Bryan Styble
Identical sentiment from this quarter, Sarah!
And I pride myself on my knowledge of the space race! I mean, I can dispense all kinds of obscure details about, say, Gemini VI or Apollo XII or Voyager 2--and even went to the trouble to get to Canaveral to witness two of the final three Space Shuttle launches!--yet ol' P.J. nonetheless still managed to fly under my NASA radar.
I know the name of the last person to set foot on the moon, and I know
the names and locations of the high school and (undergraduate) college
he attended too, as well as the names of both schools at the time of the
Apollo XVII mission (both schools had changed names between the time he
went to them and the time I did)....r
RH, you must be the first person picked to play Trivial Pursuit. :)
About six months ago I did get drafted into a pub-quiz team...my
proudest moment so far was when I came up with the answer to "at least
30% of leprosy cases in the US are contracted through contact with what
animal?" before the MC continued "and if you get this one I know you're
cheating"....r
Sarah Ehrett
2017-10-27 22:22:24 UTC
Post by RH Draney
Post by Sarah Ehrett
Post by RH Draney
Post by Bryan Styble
[...]
I haven't looked but my guess would be human contact?

Could I make your team or do I go into the corner? LOL
RH Draney
2017-10-27 22:38:50 UTC
Post by Sarah Ehrett
Post by RH Draney
About six months ago I did get drafted into a pub-quiz team...my
proudest moment so far was when I came up with the answer to "at least
30% of leprosy cases in the US are contracted through contact with what
animal?" before the MC continued "and if you get this one I know you're
cheating"....r
I haven't looked but my guess would be human contact?
Could I make your team or do I go into the corner? LOL
Armadillos...I have a strong mental link between leprosy and armadillos
from when I first found this out, so I don't have to expend any effort
to reason it out again later....r
Sarah Ehrett
2017-10-28 00:21:42 UTC
Post by RH Draney
Post by Sarah Ehrett
Post by RH Draney
About six months ago I did get drafted into a pub-quiz team...my
proudest moment so far was when I came up with the answer to "at least
30% of leprosy cases in the US are contracted through contact with what
animal?" before the MC continued "and if you get this one I know you're
cheating"....r
I haven't looked but my guess would be human contact?
Could I make your team or do I go into the corner? LOL
Armadillos...I have a strong mental link between leprosy and armadillos
from when I first found this out, so I don't have to expend any effort
to reason it out again later....r
I waited to hear your response, RH, and didn't Google the answer. I
would have never guessed armadillos. Thanks for the info. Now off
to the corner for me. :)