Wayne Stephenson, 65; former NHL goaltender
Rick B.
2010-08-07 11:49:26 UTC
http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/homepage/100099844.html

Wayne Stephenson, a backup goalie on the Flyers' second Stanley Cup
championship team, died on June 22 in Madison, Wis. He was 65.

No cause of death has been revealed.

Stephenson was the starting goalie in one of the most famous games in
Flyers history - a 4-1 victory over the Soviet Red Army at the Spectrum on
Jan. 11, 1976.

"On behalf of the Philadelphia Flyers , I would like to personally send my
condolences to Nedina and the entire Stephenson family," Comcast-Spectacor
chairman Ed Snider said yesterday in a statement.

"Wayne joined us after we captured our first Stanley Cup in 1974, and
provided steady support in helping us as we went on to win our second
consecutive championship.

"The following season, Wayne was a key contributor as our team reached the
Stanley Cup final for a third consecutive season, earning a spot on the
All-Star team. Wayne was a terrific human being who offered so much to our
team, both on and off the ice. I will always cherish the memories I have of
Wayne."

Stephenson, who wore uniform No. 35 with the Flyers, was a native of Fort
William, Ontario. In his first season with the Flyers, he was 7-2-1 backing
up Hall of Fame goalie Bernie Parent.

When Parent had neck disk surgery in the 1975-76 season, Stephenson went
40-10-13 with a 2.58 goals-against average. He was second in the NHL in
victories and fourth in goals-against that season.

In his 5-year Flyers career, he played 165 games. His record was 93-35-26,
with 10 shutouts. He had a 2.77 goals-against average.

He also played three seasons with the St. Louis Blues (1971-74) and two
seasons with the Washington Capitals (1979-81). In 328 NHL games, he was
146-103-49, with a 3.06 goals-against average.

Stephenson is survived by his wife, Nedina; sons Christopher and Andrew;
daughters Julie and Beth; and three grandchildren.
e***@gmail.com
2018-02-24 21:37:04 UTC
Post by Rick B.
[...]
Nadine please except my condolences Queenie passed away last year in Kelowna. We divorced in 1985. if you ever get up here give me a call.

Ed Lugossy 250-857-1705