Dick Noel, 90, singer for Ray Anthony, AGodfrey, TEFord; TV jingles
2017-10-27 01:26:12 UTC
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/dick-noel-dead-singer-known-as-king-jingles-dies-at-90-1052144

Singer Dick Noel, "King of the Jingles," Dies at 90

11:54 AM PDT 10/26/2017
by Mike Barnes

He performed with the Ray Anthony Orchestra and on TV shows hosted by Arthur Godfrey and Tennessee Ernie Ford.

Dick Noel, a crooner with the Ray Anthony Orchestra who went on to be known as "The King of the Jingles" for his work on commercials, died Friday in Escondido, California, after a long illness, his friend Hank Jones said. He was 90.

A Time for Love, his highly regarded 1978 album made in collaboration with pianist Larry Novak, featured world-weary renditions of such ballads as "Send in the Clowns" and "Here's That Rainy Day," and he was praised in the liner notes by famed jazz vocalist Mel Torme.

After serving in the U.S. Navy during World War II, Noel toured the country with Anthony in the late 1940s and sang with his orchestra on several hits, including "Count Every Star."

The Brooklyn native also recorded for Decca and Columbia before launching his own label, Fraternity Records, which had hits with Cathy Carr's "Ivory Tower" and Jimmy Dorsey's "So Rare."

Noel hosted several radio programs, sang regularly on The Ruth Lyons Show in Cincinnati and then joined Don McNeill's popular Breakfast Club for which he was the lead singer on that Chicago-based radio show for years.

He made his first television appearances on Arthur Godfrey's Talent Scouts at CBS and in 1962 became a featured performer on The Tennessee Ernie Ford Show at ABC.

Noel left Ford's variety program in 1965 and returned to Chicago, where he sang on a multitude of national TV and radio commercials. "The King of the Jingles" was said to have recorded 15,000 spots, including those for United Airlines and McDonald's, during his career.

Noel retired to the San Diego area in the late 1980s.

Survivors include Nancy, his wife of 40 years, daughters Patricia and Catherine and stepchildren Ken, Cliff and Laura.

Anglo.Saxon
2017-10-27 07:14:56 UTC
Post by That Derek
Singer Dick Noel, "King of the Jingles," Dies at 90
11:54 AM PDT 10/26/2017
by Mike Barnes
He performed with the Ray Anthony Orchestra and on TV shows hosted by
Arthur Godfrey and Tennessee Ernie Ford.
God. Arthur Godfrey. I'm not one of those people who believes in "signs"
or any crap like that, but when is the last time I thought of Arthur
Godfrey? Staying at my gramma's in the late '50's; Art Linkletter, Friday
Night Wresting with Gorgeous George, a cuppa tea and an Archway cookie. I
was thinking of that today during a walk and thinking how absolutely
nobody knows who Arthur Godrey was. And here he is, (thanks to Derek).
That voice, like simmering molasses at the bottom of a 55 gal barrel, just
talking about about this'n'that, rumble rumble. God bless you, Gramma. My
voice of sanity in my dysfunctional outfit....she must have been 4'10" at
the most.Raised 9 kids in the Depression and enjoyed her rocker and Arthur
Godfrey on that little old portable radio. Was George Fenniman the second
banana, hawking tea on the show?
Bryan Styble
2017-10-27 16:52:42 UTC
Yo Anglo: A few years ago I penned a piece detailing Arthur Godfrey's infamous on-air firing of Julius LaRosa, connecting it (in maddeningly serpentine fashion) to another famous broadcast firing (though not on the air), that of Limbaugh by ESPN almost precisely a half-century subsequent.

It's a highly idiosyncratic essay (and also one that is punishingly lengthy), so I don't normally push it on folks. But let me know if you're interested, and I'll tell you where to find it.

BRYAN STYBLE/Florida
Anglo.Saxon
2017-10-28 04:03:02 UTC
Post by Bryan Styble
It's a highly idiosyncratic essay (and also one that is punishingly
lengthy), so I don't normally push it on folks. But let me know if you're
interested, and I'll tell you where to find it.
Post by Bryan Styble
BRYAN STYBLE/Florida
Sure, send it over the transom. I haven't deliberately tortured and
victimized myself lately, so let's go.