Daniel R. Raichel, 71, authored the widely used textbook "The Science and Application of Acoustics"
Hoodini
2006-12-29 17:21:46 UTC
December 24, 2006

Daniel Raichel, had an ear for sound

By JOHN CHADWICK
STAFF WRITER
http://www.northjersey.com/

Daniel R. Raichel, a longtime Wyckoff resident and a leading scholar
in the field of acoustics, died Friday in San Diego. He was 71.

The cause of death was malignant melanoma.

Dr. Raichel, who grew up in Paterson and Fair Lawn, was afflicted from
childhood with a hearing loss, which required him to wear a hearing
aid, but may have also spurred his passionate interest in sound.

"He was always aware of the nature of sound because he had to deal
with his own special circumstances," said Dr. Raichel's son, Adam, of
Chicago. "He was an audiophile because he needed quality of sound to
make things out."

Dr. Raichel authored the widely used textbook "The Science and
Application of Acoustics." And he was involved in a range of
engineering projects, from the design of aerospace vehicles to concert
halls.

Dr. Raichel also loved to teach, and his students affectionately
called him "Dr. Dan."

"He loved turning other people on to what he loved," said his wife,
the former Geri Wahrman. "He could explain it, and get people excited
about it."

Dr. Raichel taught at the Pratt Institute in Brooklyn in the 1980s,
and served in the 1990s as director of the Acoustic Research Center at
Cooper Union, where he also served as a consultant for a project to
improve the acoustics of the Great Hall. Most recently, he was an
adjunct professor at the City University of New York Graduate Center.

In 2000, Dr. Raichel and his wife moved to Colorado, where he became
an affiliated faculty member of the Colorado State University's
Department of Mechanical Engineering.

Dr. Raichel authored two books and wrote numerous papers and articles
on acoustics.

He was awarded a patent in 1971 for high-fidelity speaker systems.

He attended Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute in Troy, N.Y., earned a
master's degree from the Massachusetts Institute of Technology, and
continued his studies at Cornell University and Columbia University
before earning his doctorate in engineering science from New York
University.

Dr. Raichel also was a devoted listener of classical music.

"He enjoyed the precision of the classical composers," his son said.

In addition to his wife and son, Dr. Raichel is survived by a
daughter, Dr. Dina Raichel of San Diego, and a granddaughter.
Stuff Up the Cracks
Hoodini
2006-12-29 19:42:36 UTC
Post by Hoodini
Dr. Raichel authored the widely used textbook "The Science and
Application of Acoustics." And he was involved in a range of engineering
projects, from the design of aerospace vehicles to concert halls.
Review of "Daniel R. Raichel: The Science and Applications of
Acoustics" at http://www.icnm.org/research/bookreviews/raichel.html
Stuff Up the Cracks
m***@gmail.com
2018-07-27 16:19:35 UTC
Dr Raichel was my Thermodynamics teacher at Pratt Institute in the late 80s.

I remember him fondly -- whenever I see or hear of a Volvo vehicle, I think of him. He always talked about them in class. He raved on how great they were safety wise.

I was recently cleaning out boxes of my old school papers and came across his name and other teacher's names. It sparked my curiosity to google them to see where they are now. I was sad to learn of his passing. May he rest in peace.