Discussion:
Anthony Bourdain, 61, writer and host of CNN "Parts Unknown", suicide
(too old to reply)
Jason
2018-06-08 11:39:47 UTC
Permalink
Raw Message
https://www.cnn.com/2018/06/08/us/anthony-bourdain-obit/index.html

New York (CNN)Anthony Bourdain, a gifted storyteller and writer who took CNN viewers around the world, has died. He was 61.

CNN confirmed Bourdain's death on Friday and said the cause of death was suicide.

"It is with extraordinary sadness we can confirm the death of our friend and colleague, Anthony Bourdain," the network said in a statement Friday morning. "His love of great adventure, new friends, fine food and drink and the remarkable stories of the world made him a unique storyteller. His talents never ceased to amaze us and we will miss him very much. Our thoughts and prayers are with his daughter and family at this incredibly difficult time."

Bourdain was in France working on an upcoming episode of his award-winning CNN series "Parts Unknown." His close friend Eric Ripert, the French chef, found Bourdain unresponsive in his hotel room Friday morning.

Bourdain was a master of his crafts -- first in the kitchen and then in the media. Through his TV shows and books, he explored the human condition and helped audiences think differently about food, travel and themselves. He advocated for marginalized populations and campaigned for safer working conditions for restaurant staffs.

Along the way, he received practically every award the industry has to offer.
In 2013, Peabody Award judges honored Bourdain and "Parts Unknown" for "expanding our palates and horizons in equal measure."

"He's irreverent, honest, curious, never condescending, never obsequious," the judges said. "People open up to him and, in doing so, often reveal more about their hometowns or homelands than a traditional reporter could hope to document."

The Smithsonian once called him "the original rock star" of the culinary world, "the Elvis of bad boy chefs."

In 1999 he wrote a New Yorker article, "Don't Eat Before Reading This," that became a best-selling book in 2000, "Kitchen Confidential: Adventures in the Culinary Underbelly."

The book set him on a path to international stardom.
First he hosted "A Cook's Tour" on the Food Network, then moved to "Anthony Bourdain: No Reservations" on the Travel Channel. "No Reservations" was a breakout hit, earning two Emmy Awards and more than a dozen nominations.
In 2013 both Bourdain and CNN took a risk by bringing him to the news network still best known for breaking news and headlines. Bourdain quickly became one of the principal faces of the network and one of the linchpins of the prime time schedule.

Season eleven of "Parts Unknown" premiered on CNN last month.
While accepting the Peabody award in 2013, Bourdain described how he approached his work.

"We ask very simple questions: What makes you happy? What do you eat? What do you like to cook? And everywhere in the world we go and ask these very simple questions," he said, "we tend to get some really astonishing answers."

Bourdain's death happened after fashion designer Kate Spade hanged herself in an apparent suicide at her Manhattan apartment on Tuesday. Spade was found hanged by a scarf she allegedly tied to a doorknob, an NYPD source said.
c***@aol.com
2018-06-08 11:45:15 UTC
Permalink
Raw Message
Raise your hand if you’re shocked. He was a suicide waiting to happen.
RH Draney
2018-06-08 11:51:05 UTC
Permalink
Raw Message
On 6/8/2018 4:45 AM, ***@aol.com wrote:
> Raise your hand if you’re shocked. He was a suicide waiting to happen.

Seriously...he even *looked* like Spalding Gray....r
l***@yahoo.com
2018-06-08 20:09:35 UTC
Permalink
Raw Message
On Friday, June 8, 2018 at 7:45:17 AM UTC-4, ***@aol.com wrote:
> Raise your hand if you’re shocked. He was a suicide waiting to happen.

*I* was shocked. Not that I watched his show, since I don't get cable.

After a few seconds, though, my main thought was "no matter how depressed and in pain he might have been in, how could he ever ignore the likelihood that the pain his 11-year-old daughter will feel will be far worse - and harder to get past?"


Lenona.
A Friend
2018-06-08 21:10:10 UTC
Permalink
Raw Message
In article <12efa25c-9240-4219-98ce-***@googlegroups.com>,
<***@yahoo.com> wrote:

> On Friday, June 8, 2018 at 7:45:17 AM UTC-4, ***@aol.com wrote:
> > Raise your hand if you’re shocked. He was a suicide waiting to happen.
>
> *I* was shocked. Not that I watched his show, since I don't get cable.
>
> After a few seconds, though, my main thought was "no matter how depressed and
> in pain he might have been in, how could he ever ignore the likelihood that
> the pain his 11-year-old daughter will feel will be far worse - and harder to
> get past?"

Kate Spade had a 13 y-o daughter. Same question.

These people are not in their right mind when they do this, so I find
it hard to hold them responsible for the consequences to others. That
doesn't lessen the impact of those consequences, though.
David LaRue
2018-06-09 01:20:41 UTC
Permalink
Raw Message
A Friend <***@noway.com> wrote in
news:080620181710104964%***@noway.com:

> In article <12efa25c-9240-4219-98ce-***@googlegroups.com>,
> <***@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
>> On Friday, June 8, 2018 at 7:45:17 AM UTC-4, ***@aol.com wrote:
>> > Raise your hand if you’re shocked. He was a suicide waiting to
>> > happen.
>>
>> *I* was shocked. Not that I watched his show, since I don't get
>> cable.
>>
>> After a few seconds, though, my main thought was "no matter how
>> depressed and in pain he might have been in, how could he ever ignore
>> the likelihood that the pain his 11-year-old daughter will feel will
>> be far worse - and harder to get past?"
>
> Kate Spade had a 13 y-o daughter. Same question.
>
> These people are not in their right mind when they do this, so I find
> it hard to hold them responsible for the consequences to others. That
> doesn't lessen the impact of those consequences, though.
>

He is in a better place now and hopefully at peace. We are sad at the
loss and those that live on will have to deal with the grief.
l***@yahoo.com
2018-06-09 19:03:57 UTC
Permalink
Raw Message
On Friday, June 8, 2018 at 9:20:46 PM UTC-4, David LaRue wrote:

>
> He is in a better place now and hopefully at peace.


I have to say I don't understand that idea. Seems to me that those who say that might as well be saying "there's no point in trying to make the world of the living any better; death is always better anyway." Also, some religions worship death more than life - I don't just mean they celebrate the AFTERLIFE more than life.

C.S. Lewis once had one of his characters say:

“Do not by any means destroy yourself, for if you live you may yet have good fortune, but all the dead are dead like.”

Of course, for all I know, he was really saying that people who commit suicide don't go to heaven.

Btw, in February, Pia Guerra, a "46-year-old Vancouver-based artist," drew a cartoon that went viral. From the WaPo:

...To many, Guerra said, the cartoon depicted the children and teachers welcoming Feis to heaven. Guerra knew before she posted the image that many may interpret it in a religious way, and “that’s fine,” she said. But that was not her intention.

Guerra describes herself as an atheist. After a tragedy, she said, she grows tired of always hearing about angels and heaven and the idea that the dead all end up in a better place.

“Wherever all these wonderful people are, they’re not here,” she said. But the message, she said, “is beyond that.”...


Lenona.
l***@yahoo.com
2018-06-09 19:09:49 UTC
Permalink
Raw Message
Btw, here's what they're saying in rec.food.cooking - most of the thread is not about food:

https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/rec.food.cooking/F9ubRI6E4l0



Lenona.
c***@aol.com
2018-06-08 21:15:14 UTC
Permalink
Raw Message
Selfish people. Period.
Meteorite Debris
2018-06-09 04:13:13 UTC
Permalink
Raw Message
In article <8e1dade2-9a9a-4d28-866c-***@googlegroups.com>,
***@aol.com says...
>
> Selfish people. Period.

Way to go, shitting on dead people, someone who felt so depressed that
to the point of suicide and someone who can not rise up to defend
himself. What an easy target. Did your dumping on the down and depressed
make you feel smug and satisfied? What else do you do for kicks? Pull
wings off butterflies? Did you have an empathy bypass?
Adam H. Kerman
2018-06-09 15:44:56 UTC
Permalink
Raw Message
Meteorite Debris <***@whoknows.com> wrote:
>***@aol.com says...

>>Selfish people. Period.

>Way to go, shitting on dead people, someone who felt so depressed that
>to the point of suicide and someone who can not rise up to defend
>himself. What an easy target. Did your dumping on the down and depressed
>make you feel smug and satisfied? What else do you do for kicks? Pull
>wings off butterflies? Did you have an empathy bypass?

To be honest with you, I don't quite get the rule, "Don't speak ill of
the dead," which suggests it's perfectly acceptable to speak ill of the
living. If someone has died, saying nice things about him that one never
would have said to his face is absolutely meaningless.

What, your idiot brother-in-law is no longer a worthless wretch making
your sister's life a disappointment just because he died?
c***@aol.com
2018-06-09 16:04:08 UTC
Permalink
Raw Message
Don’t you know according to Nancy Pelosi even MS13 gang members deserve dignity.
Meteorite Debris
2018-06-10 05:55:30 UTC
Permalink
Raw Message
In article <pfgslo$6u8$***@dont-email.me>, ***@chinet.com says...
>
> Meteorite Debris <***@whoknows.com> wrote:
> >***@aol.com says...
>
> >>Selfish people. Period.
>
> >Way to go, shitting on dead people, someone who felt so depressed that
> >to the point of suicide and someone who can not rise up to defend
> >himself. What an easy target. Did your dumping on the down and depressed
> >make you feel smug and satisfied? What else do you do for kicks? Pull
> >wings off butterflies? Did you have an empathy bypass?
>
> To be honest with you, I don't quite get the rule, "Don't speak ill of
> the dead," which suggests it's perfectly acceptable to speak ill of the
> living. If someone has died, saying nice things about him that one never
> would have said to his face is absolutely meaningless.
>
> What, your idiot brother-in-law is no longer a worthless wretch making
> your sister's life a disappointment just because he died?

The pulse status does not alter the utterly callous nature of Cathy's
response. If Anthony had survived his attempt and live the throwaway
remark would still be cold and unempathetic.
Adam H. Kerman
2018-06-10 16:23:00 UTC
Permalink
Raw Message
Meteorite Debris <***@whoknows.com> wrote:
>***@chinet.com says...
>>Meteorite Debris <***@whoknows.com> wrote:
>>>***@aol.com says...

>>>>Selfish people. Period.

>>>Way to go, shitting on dead people, someone who felt so depressed that
>>>to the point of suicide and someone who can not rise up to defend
>>>himself. What an easy target. Did your dumping on the down and depressed
>>>make you feel smug and satisfied? What else do you do for kicks? Pull
>>>wings off butterflies? Did you have an empathy bypass?

>>To be honest with you, I don't quite get the rule, "Don't speak ill of
>>the dead," which suggests it's perfectly acceptable to speak ill of the
>>living. If someone has died, saying nice things about him that one never
>>would have said to his face is absolutely meaningless.

>>What, your idiot brother-in-law is no longer a worthless wretch making
>>your sister's life a disappointment just because he died?

>The pulse status does not alter the utterly callous nature of Cathy's
>response. If Anthony had survived his attempt and live the throwaway
>remark would still be cold and unempathetic.

Yes. You're repeating back to me the point I just made. You were the one
who linked it specifically to Bourdain's death in your very first
sentence with the phrase "shitting on dead people". You made it about
Bourdain's inability to defend himself.

cathycarteel, whose main crime is refusing to quote in followup so
remarks are always out of context, was agreeing with someone else who
noted that Bourdain left an 11 year old daughter behind. Suicide due to
depression wreaks havoc on the lives of one's family and friends. One
isn't doing it for their benefit.

Perhaps sympathizing with ourselves is necessary, so we don't inflict
self harm that could indirectly harm everyone around us, directing our
energy toward the living.
p***@gmail.com
2018-06-09 00:25:35 UTC
Permalink
Raw Message
On Friday, June 8, 2018 at 7:39:49 AM UTC-4, Jason wrote:
> https://www.cnn.com/2018/06/08/us/anthony-bourdain-obit/index.html
>

At least nobody is around here yet hooting that his real name was Anthony Bordein and that he must have changed it recently for some unknown reason
p***@gmail.com
2018-06-09 04:28:43 UTC
Permalink
Raw Message
On Friday, June 8, 2018 at 8:25:38 PM UTC-4, ***@gmail.com wrote:
> On Friday, June 8, 2018 at 7:39:49 AM UTC-4, Jason wrote:
> > https://www.cnn.com/2018/06/08/us/anthony-bourdain-obit/index.html
> >
>
> At least nobody is around here yet hooting that his real name was Anthony Bordein and that he must have changed it recently for some unknown reason


Bourdain on Archer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7dgbA6akGnw
Topic Cop
2018-06-20 03:23:43 UTC
Permalink
Raw Message
On Friday, June 8, 2018 at 4:39:49 AM UTC-7, Jason wrote:
> https://www.cnn.com/2018/06/08/us/anthony-bourdain-obit/index.html
>
> New York (CNN)Anthony Bourdain, a gifted storyteller and writer who took CNN viewers around the world, has died. He was 61.
>
> CNN confirmed Bourdain's death on Friday and said the cause of death was suicide.
>
> "It is with extraordinary sadness we can confirm the death of our friend and colleague, Anthony Bourdain," the network said in a statement Friday morning. "His love of great adventure, new friends, fine food and drink and the remarkable stories of the world made him a unique storyteller. His talents never ceased to amaze us and we will miss him very much. Our thoughts and prayers are with his daughter and family at this incredibly difficult time."
>
> Bourdain was in France working on an upcoming episode of his award-winning CNN series "Parts Unknown." His close friend Eric Ripert, the French chef, found Bourdain unresponsive in his hotel room Friday morning.
>
> Bourdain was a master of his crafts -- first in the kitchen and then in the media. Through his TV shows and books, he explored the human condition and helped audiences think differently about food, travel and themselves. He advocated for marginalized populations and campaigned for safer working conditions for restaurant staffs.
>
> Along the way, he received practically every award the industry has to offer.
> In 2013, Peabody Award judges honored Bourdain and "Parts Unknown" for "expanding our palates and horizons in equal measure."
>
> "He's irreverent, honest, curious, never condescending, never obsequious," the judges said. "People open up to him and, in doing so, often reveal more about their hometowns or homelands than a traditional reporter could hope to document."
>
> The Smithsonian once called him "the original rock star" of the culinary world, "the Elvis of bad boy chefs."
>
> In 1999 he wrote a New Yorker article, "Don't Eat Before Reading This," that became a best-selling book in 2000, "Kitchen Confidential: Adventures in the Culinary Underbelly."
>
> The book set him on a path to international stardom.
> First he hosted "A Cook's Tour" on the Food Network, then moved to "Anthony Bourdain: No Reservations" on the Travel Channel. "No Reservations" was a breakout hit, earning two Emmy Awards and more than a dozen nominations.
> In 2013 both Bourdain and CNN took a risk by bringing him to the news network still best known for breaking news and headlines. Bourdain quickly became one of the principal faces of the network and one of the linchpins of the prime time schedule.
>
> Season eleven of "Parts Unknown" premiered on CNN last month.
> While accepting the Peabody award in 2013, Bourdain described how he approached his work.
>
> "We ask very simple questions: What makes you happy? What do you eat? What do you like to cook? And everywhere in the world we go and ask these very simple questions," he said, "we tend to get some really astonishing answers."
>
> Bourdain's death happened after fashion designer Kate Spade hanged herself in an apparent suicide at her Manhattan apartment on Tuesday. Spade was found hanged by a scarf she allegedly tied to a doorknob, an NYPD source said.





WHY DID HE DO IT
Anglo Saxon
2018-06-20 19:32:23 UTC
Permalink
Raw Message
Topic Cop wrote:
> >
> WHY DID HE DO IT


Deep, abiding, despair.
e***@aol.com
2018-06-21 03:48:24 UTC
Permalink
Raw Message
On Friday, June 8, 2018 at 7:39:49 AM UTC-4, Jason wrote:
> https://www.cnn.com/2018/06/08/us/anthony-bourdain-obit/index.html
>
> New York (CNN)Anthony Bourdain, a gifted storyteller and writer who took CNN viewers around the world, has died. He was 61.
>
> CNN confirmed Bourdain's death on Friday and said the cause of death was suicide.


“I would have made this movie a lot darker. Would have really made people feel just horrified and guilty. The more people that watch this film and would have immediately gone and hung themselves in the shower out of guilt, the happier I'd be. Just I mean, instinctively – I don't actually want you to go hang yourself”

“Maybe you should look at it like this – I'm a completely self-interested aesthete who has worked with expensive ingredients their whole life, who has traveled around the world, who understands what's delicious and what's not so delicious and my entire argument and participation in this film is probably based on that: I'm a terrible person but you should listen to me anyway.”

--Anthony Bourdain in post-credit sequence of “Wasted: The Story of Food Waste” (which he narrated and co-produced) November 2017
Loading...