Robert Dix,, 83, actor (Forbidden Planet); son of 1920s/30s actor Richard Dix -- interesting backstory
2018-08-07 22:59:13 UTC
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/robert-dix-dead-forbidden-planet-forty-guns-actor-son-richard-dix-dies-at-83-1132829

Robert Dix, Actor in 'Forbidden Planet' and 'Forty Guns,' Dies at 83

1:22 PM PDT 8/7/2018
by Mike Barnes

A son of Oscar nominee Richard Dix of 'Cimarron' fame, he also starred in 'B' horror movies directed by Al Adamson.

Robert Dix, the son of a big-screen icon who made his own mark in Hollywood with appearances in dozens of films, including Forbidden Planet, Forty Guns and a succession of B-grade horror movies, has died. He was 83.

Dix died Monday of respiratory failure at a hospital in Tucson, Arizona, his wife, Lynette, told The Hollywood Reporter.

Dix was the youngest son (by 10 minutes) of Richard Dix, who made the transition from the silent era to talkies, received a best actor nomination in the best picture Oscar winner Cimarron (1931) and starred in the series of Whistler film noirs at Columbia Pictures in the 1940s.

His son, a contract player at MGM, played Crewman Grey, who gets zapped by the id monster, in the groundbreaking sci-fi classic Forbidden Planet (1956).

Robert Dix later transitioned to 20th Century Fox, where he portrayed the youngest of the three heroic Bonnell brothers (Barry Sullivan and Gene Barry were the others) for director Sam Fuller in Forty Guns (1957), starring Barbara Stanwyck. And he was Frank James, the brother of an outlaw, in Young Jesse James (1960).

In 1969 alone, the handsome Dix starred as psychos in the low-budget horror films Blood of Dracula's Castle, Satan's Sadists and Five Bloody Graves (1969) — he also wrote that one — then toplined Hell's Bloody Devils and Horror of the Blood Monsters in 1970 releases.

"When you actually have to develop the inner life of a character who was nuts, that was an interesting challenge," he told author Tom Weaver. "In both cases, I recall, it came off pretty believably — I had people comment in the positive regarding it. It was a stretch for me, and in the final analysis it was good experience."

(Those five films were all directed by Al Adamson, who years later would be found murdered and buried under a hot tub in Indio, California.)

While in New Orleans doing research for a movie about Cajun customs, Dix discovered that Roger Moore, a buddy from his days at MGM, was there filming Live and Let Die (1973). After a night on the town, the 007 star put Dix to work in an uncredited role as an FBI agent who gets knifed and then placed in a casket during a Bourbon Street parade.

Born in Los Angeles on May 8, 1935, Dix was raised in a home in Beverly Hills and on a ranch in Malibu. As a youngster, he worked at the local market, delivering groceries to the likes of Jimmy Stewart, Jimmy Durante and Robert Cummings.

In September 1949, when he was just 14, his father, then 56, died of a heart attack. Four years later, his twin brother, Richard Dix Jr., died in a logging accident. His mother remarried, and he did not get along with his stepfather, food magnate Walter Van De Kamp (co-founder of Lawry's the Prime Rib, which opened in Beverly Hills in 1938).

Dix studied acting at the National Academy of Theater Arts in Pleasantville, New York, then, through his friend Tom Tannenbaum — the son of the mayor of Beverly Hills who had become an MGM exec — was signed to a seven-year deal at the studio when he was 18.

He appeared in small roles in seven 1955 films, including The Glass Slipper, Interrupted Melody, Love Me or Leave Me and I'll Cry Tomorrow.

Dix's stay at that studio, however, was short-lived. "I did two years on the contract until television came along and wiped out all the contract players," he said in a 2010 interview. He then showed up on such TV Westerns as Gunsmoke, Death Valley Days, The Rifleman and Rawhide and, with Casey Kasem, in the 1969 biker flick Wild Wheels.

For his role in Deadwood '76 (1965), Dix said he went to the Western Costume Co. in Hollywood and got the same coat and vest that his father had worn in Badlands of Dakota (1941).

In 2016, Dix completed work on a movie from Gila Films called The Last Frankenstein, which is now listed as "in postproduction" on IMDb. (Back in 1958, he had played a cop in Richard Cunha's low-budget Frankenstein's Daughter.)

In addition to his wife, survivors include his children Jana and Robert, two grandchildren and six great-grandchildren.

A funeral service will take place at 10 a.m. Friday at Russellville-Dragoon Cemetery in Cochise County, Arizona.
J.D. Baldwin
2018-08-07 23:57:58 UTC
Robert Dix, Actor in 'Forbidden Planet' and 'Forty Guns,' Dies at 83
I remember when his dad came in here and tried to take over this town.
danny burstein
2018-08-08 00:04:14 UTC
Post by J.D. Baldwin
Post by That Derek
Robert Dix, Actor in 'Forbidden Planet' and 'Forty Guns,' Dies at 83
I remember when his dad came in here and tried to take over this town.
The youg'un should get a New Orleans send off...
***@panix.com
2018-08-08 01:05:00 UTC
They should have done a Number 6 on him.
l***@yahoo.com
2018-08-08 16:13:00 UTC
I can't remember a thing about Forbidden Planet (other than its being based on "The Tempest"), but I liked "The Glass Slipper" enough to watch it more than once. (His role is REALLY tiny, according to the IMDB - he isn't even among the top ten actors. Nor was he credited. I can't figure out which scene he was in, either.)

"The Glass Slipper" has undeniable flaws, but I love the fact that it's about a grouchy, short-haired Cinderella and that the stepsisters aren't really mean - or even unattractive. Plus, of course, there's Leslie Caron's dancing - and the show-stealing, Latin-quoting, thieving godmother, Estelle Winwood!

Not to mention that the movie passes the Bechdel test. Memorably.

I also suspect that the British playwright, Nicholas Stuart Gray, saw the movie, three years before his play "The Other Cinderella" was published in 1958. (In the play, she's a whiny wallflower who won't go to the ball despite the loving stepsisters' desperate attempts to drag her there. Also, you'll never guess what happens between her and the prince.)

https://edmontonjournal.com/entertainment/theatre/cappies-reviews-the-other-cinderella
(Canadian stage production from 2015 - spoilers!)