Otto Warmbier, young man who was comatose after being detained in North Korea
2017-06-19 20:52:46 UTC
He was 22.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/grade-point/wp/2017/06/19/otto-warmbier-dies-days-after-release-from-north-korean-detainment/?utm_term=.4b679a8d6c46

By Susan Svrluga June 19 at 4:36 PM

Otto Warmbier, University of Virginia student who was detained in North Korea for nearly a year and a half, died Monday afternoon, his parents announced.

Warmbier returned from North Korea last week in a coma, and his father Fred Warmbier denounced the “pariah” regime that brutalized his son.

Fred and Cindy Warmbier issued a statement Monday afternoon...

(snip)

More:

https://www.google.com/webhp?hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjOwuDH5MrUAhXKaD4KHVzOBoAQPAgD#hl=en&q=Otto+Warmbier

2017-06-22 17:38:16 UTC
"What we can learn from the harshest responses to Otto Warmbier’s captivity?"

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/act-four/wp/2017/06/21/what-we-can-learn-from-the-harshest-responses-to-otto-warmbiers-captivity/?utm_term=.33dbb05754ce#comments

Good points are made, but the top-rated comment underneath caught my eye for a good reason too:

marceline
6/21/2017 2:49 PM EST
"Consider how in one week Philando Castile's killer went free while people practically want to nuke North Korea over Warmbier. If there's better proof of 'all lives matter' being a baldfaced lie, I don't know what it is."

2017-06-22 17:59:32 UTC
"What we can learn from the harshest responses to Otto Warmbier’s
captivity?"
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/act-four/wp/2017/06/21/
what-we-can-learn-from-the-harshest-responses-to-otto-warmbiers-captivity/
?utm_term=.33dbb05754ce#comments
Good points are made, but the top-rated comment underneath caught my eye
marceline
6/21/2017 2:49 PM EST
"Consider how in one week Philando Castile's killer went free while people
practically want to nuke North Korea over Warmbier. If there's better
proof of 'all lives matter' being a baldfaced lie, I don't know what it
is."
Not to mention the fact that the Pubbies health care bill will kill
millions of people, but NOBODY will go to jail for that.
http://user.xmission.com/~gazelle/Sigs/Infallibility
l***@yahoo.com
2018-05-01 20:14:20 UTC
"Otto Warmbier's Parents Sue North Korea Claiming He Was 'Brutally Tortured and Murdered'"

http://people.com/human-interest/otto-warmbier-parents-sue-north-korea/

Excerpts:

...In Cynthia and Fred Warmbier’s complaint, they claim that North Korea forced Otto to falsely “confess” to an act of subversion on behalf of the United States government and tortured him.

They add that North Korea “kept him in detention for a year and a half without allowing him to communicate with his family, and returned him to them in a non-responsive state and brain dead.”

As a result of their son’s “torture and death,” the Warmbiers “have each experienced the loss of their son’s society, companionship, comfort, advice and counsel and have suffered severe mental anguish, extreme emotional distress and solatium damages.”

Fred said in a statement provided to PEOPLE, “Otto was taken hostage, kept as a prisoner for political purposes, used as a pawn and singled out for exceptionally harsh and brutal treatment by Kim Jong Un. Kim and his regime have portrayed themselves as innocent, while they intentionally destroyed our son’s life. This lawsuit is another step in holding North Korea accountable for its barbaric treatment of Otto and our family.”...

...The family’s complaint also addresses Otto’s condition upon his release to the U.S., with his parents claiming he returned home both “blind and deaf.” Otto’s parents claim “they also noticed that his once straight teeth were now misaligned and had been forced into abnormal positions, particularly in the front of his mouth.”

(snip)