Is Harry Britton, "Men's Lib" advocate, alive? (Born in 1925)
2007-05-30 17:25:05 UTC
Here are the only good photos I found:

http://ag-edit.lightlink.com/view_caption.php?image_id=76203&keyword=new+york

http://www.flickr.com/photos/thegaffneys/429740597/
(this is in color)

He became a fixture first on the streets of Washington, D.C. (in the
early 1970s), and then in NYC. I first heard of him and his placards
in an Alex Beam column in the 1990s in which Beam mentioned him (not
by name), and Beam said "Poor Man. He was merely ahead of his time."
He then mocked the current mens' rights movement. I then stumbled
today on a 1980 book of photos, "Street People,"by Janet Beller, with
him on the cover! (According to what was inside, IIRC, he started
taking to the streets when he lost his job and his wife left him. She
said she'd take him back when he got a good job - and lost his
placards. He wouldn't divorce her because of his religion.)

Does anyone know more about him?

Lenona.
TedM
2007-05-30 21:30:30 UTC
There's a Harry Britton born in Dec. 1925 who died in May 1981 in
Pasadena, California listed in the SSDI. His benefits had been sent to
Pennsylvania.

A Lillian Britton (which was Harry's wife's name) died in 1984 in
Pennsylvania. She was born in 1926.

Not sure if this is who you are looking for or not.
Jane Margaret Laight
2007-05-30 21:51:47 UTC
[...]
He is on topic to this newsgroup, having died in Pasadena, California
in May of 1981, according to the Social Security Index on
ancestry.com. According to two newspaper articles I found online
(newspaperarchive.com, a pay site) he was born in Erie, Pa. on 2
December 1925 and served in the US Army Air Corps during World War
II. He was an industrial engineer for General Electric in Erie for
over twenty years, and lived in the nearby town of Harbor Creek with
his wife and three kids until he got into a pay dispute with GE and
evidently was fired. He started picketing the plant and paraded around
for seventeen months with his signs. His wife was understandably
upset, and told him to leave. So Harry became the president (and
probably sole member) of the National Association of Dissatisfied
Husbands and spent pretty much the rest of his days living in homeless
shelters, SRO hotels, YMCAs and on the street subsisting on sales
(forty bucks a week if he had a good week) of his leaflets and other
publications extolling "Husband Lib" ("It's not men's lib, it's
Husband Lib. The Bachelors are not oppressed yet").

When the First Women's Bank of New York opened in Manhattan in 1975,
there was Harry, signs and pamphlets in hand, camped outside the
building voicing his displeasure--"A woman's place is in the home, not
in the bank," he said. "There would be less muggings in the street if
women were at home to teach kids manners." He was still in NYC at the
time of the Democratic National Convention in June of 1976, but the
article noted that he was packing up his signs and papers and heading
home to Erie. When asked if he was going to Kansas City to instruct
the Republicans, Britton replied that he didn't think so. I haven't
found anything else on that site after that date, so maybe his wife
took him back.

Sounds like a true American character.

JML
l***@yahoo.com
2007-05-31 14:32:22 UTC
Post by Jane Margaret Laight
Sounds like a true American character.
Just curious - how so?

2007-05-31 14:42:38 UTC
On May 30, 5:51 pm, Jane Margaret Laight <***@yahoo.com> wrote:

I forgot to say: Thank you.

Lenona.
Jane Margaret Laight
2007-06-01 13:41:21 UTC
Post by l***@yahoo.com
I forgot to say: Thank you.
Lenona.
you're welcome.

As to my other comment, let me just say that it has been my experience
that Americans tend to gravitate to eccentrics, iconoclasts, the one
person who is out of step with everyone else, the person who expresses
his individuality in such a way that he is noticed. Monomaniacal and
driven, these folks are part of the American mystique--Preston Tucker,
the developer of the automobile that bore his name, or the Emperor
Norton I, the midly insane ruler of San Francisco, or Howard Hughes--
Harry Britton with his one man crusade aganist wives, although doomed
from the outset, still got him noticed.

JML
Brad Ferguson
2007-06-01 18:00:47 UTC
Post by l***@yahoo.com
I forgot to say: Thank you.
Lenona.
you're welcome.
As to my other comment, let me just say that it has been my experience
that Americans tend to gravitate to eccentrics, iconoclasts, the one
person who is out of step with everyone else, the person who expresses
his individuality in such a way that he is noticed. Monomaniacal and
driven, these folks are part of the American mystique--Preston Tucker,
the developer of the automobile that bore his name, or the Emperor
Norton I, the midly insane ruler of San Francisco, or Howard Hughes--
Harry Britton with his one man crusade aganist wives, although doomed
from the outset, still got him noticed.
I guess it did. I remember him wandering around Fifth Avenue near
Rockefeller Center, but I don't think I ever knew his name. He stood
out from among the other nuts, which I guess was the point.

Today he'd probably just stay home and spam us endlessly about how he
was as old as coal.
o***@shaw.ca
2014-02-10 03:16:17 UTC
I just googled his name and found this chain of messages after coming across some Kodak color slides I took in NYC when visiting there for wirk training purposes in late 1977. His name was on the placard, similar to the monochrome photo linked in one of the message postings above. At the time I speculated to myself that he had probably lost home, spouse & job, evidently some form of mental health issue there. But I remember him being cheerful & obliging - even if there was something a little odd about him - when I asked his permission to take his photo. Would post his photo from 1977 here but don't see a way to do that.
danny burstein
2014-02-10 03:21:05 UTC
I just googled his name and found this chain of messages after coming acros=
s some Kodak color slides I took in NYC when visiting there for wirk traini=
ng purposes in late 1977.
Was he the guy in midtown, dressed vaguel like Uncle Sam, with
a placard on his (sometimes hat, sometimes chest)?
***@panix.com
danny burstein
2014-02-10 03:26:34 UTC
Post by danny burstein
I just googled his name and found this chain of messages after coming acros=
s some Kodak color slides I took in NYC when visiting there for wirk traini=
ng purposes in late 1977.
Was he the guy in midtown, dressed vaguel like Uncle Sam, with
a placard on his (sometimes hat, sometimes chest)?
Ah, I just realized your ("otesaga"'s) post is courtesy of google groups,
so... I checked back and you're referring to a thread we had in
alt.obituaries back in May, 2007.

At that time one of our talented and beautiful researchers
determined that:

o***@shaw.ca
2014-02-10 03:51:29 UTC
Hi Danny, yes, I saw that final post as well, also on Google found a b & w photo of him taken by a magazine in the early 1970s with similar but not 100% identical placards. Am digitizing some slide photos taken by me in MYC when I stayed there for 2 months in late 1977, am living now on Vancouver Island, BC, Canada whete I have my own small law practice, but in those bachelor days of mine I worked & lived in London, UK. Was in NYC on secondment for training, loved the place. Can email u the Nov 1977 colour photo of HB if u send me test message to otesagaATshaw.ca. No spam, promise!
Cheers, Joe Simpson.
g***@gardenwife.com
2017-03-05 23:13:07 UTC
You still have those photos handy? Google free image hosting and you'll see a few options. Then post a link to your photos? Pretty please?