Discussion:
Bill Burkette, 75, orig lead singer, The Vogues (5 O'Clock World; You're the 1; Turn Around/Look at Me)
(too old to reply)
That Derek
2018-03-04 15:54:35 UTC
Permalink
Raw Message
http://triblive.com/aande/music/13368970-74/bill-burkette-of-the-vogues-vocal-group-from-turtle-creek-dies

Bill Burkette of The Vogues vocal group from Turtle Creek dies

Ben Schmitt

Ben Schmitt  | Thursday, March 1, 2018, 4:18 p.m.

Bill Burkette, the original lead singer of Turtle Creek-based vocal group The Vogues, died Thursday, his wife said.

Burkette grew up in Turtle Creek and lived most of his adult life in Murrsyville. He was 75 and had lymphoma, according to his wife of 54 years, Elaine.

She said he died at 7 a.m. at William Penn Care Center in Penn Township.

"He was always singing," his wife said. "The singing was a great part of his life. That's what he loved to do."

The Vogues, who emerged from Turtle Creek High School, were known for the hit songs "Five O'Clock World," "You're the One" and "Turn Around, Look at Me."

"You're the One" reached No. 4 on Billboard's Top 100.

The four-member, male vocal group famously ascended from day jobs in the Mon Valley to Billboard's Top 100 when they were just a few years out of high school.

The original lineup comprised of Burkette, the lead singer, Don Miller, Hugh Geyer and Chuck Blasko. They were together as a musical act for about eight years, Elaine Burkette said.

"It was a lot of fun," she said. "We traveled and we saw quite a bit of the entire country. We took the kids with us. It certainly was interesting."

When the group formed in high school, it was known as the Val-Aires. Members briefly split up after high school as they joined the military or attended college. They reformed in 1965 as The Vogues.

"Things took off from there," Elaine Burkette said.

The band's commercial success lasted until the early 1970s. After that, Burkette told his wife, "I guess it's time for me to get a regular job," she said, laughing.

He worked as a sales manager for a home improvement company, living in Murrysville.

"Bill taught people how to sell various products," she said. "It was a good living. It got our children through school."

He never fully stopped singing, sometimes performing with another version of The Vogues.

"He had such a great voice," his wife said.

Burkette, born William Burkette III, is survived by two daughters, Lori (Greg) Cinna and Sheri (Scott) Good, and a son William W. (Julie) Burkette, IV; and three grandchildren.

Visitation is Sunday from 2-6 p.m. at the Jobe Funeral Home & Crematory Inc., 118 Shaw Ave. in Turtle Creek. A funeral service will follow at 6 p.m.

In lieu of flowers, donations may be made to American Cancer Society.
RH Draney
2018-03-04 18:55:28 UTC
Permalink
Raw Message
On 3/4/2018 8:54 AM, That Derek wrote:
> http://triblive.com/aande/music/13368970-74/bill-burkette-of-the-vogues-vocal-group-from-turtle-creek-dies
>
> Bill Burkette of The Vogues vocal group from Turtle Creek dies

Turtle Creek?...is that anywhere near Bug Tussle?...r
Kenny McCormack
2018-03-04 22:14:17 UTC
Permalink
Raw Message
In article <***@news4.newsguy.com>, RH Draney <***@cox.net> wrote:
>On 3/4/2018 8:54 AM, That Derek wrote:
>>
>http://triblive.com/aande/music/13368970-74/bill-burkette-of-the-vogues-vocal-group-from-turtle-creek-dies
>>
>> Bill Burkette of The Vogues vocal group from Turtle Creek dies
>
>Turtle Creek?...is that anywhere near Bug Tussle?...r

Yeah, I hate when people post obits like this that very carefully avoid
telling us which state they are talking about. You see this fairly often
here. They give the city name, as if it was obvious what state that is in.
So, you have no idea where the thing actually took place.

Anyway, Wikipedia says this in its article about the Vogues:

* The Vogues are an American vocal group from Turtle Creek, Pennsylvania, a
* suburb of Pittsburgh. The original lineup comprised Bill Burkette (lead
* baritone), Don Miller (baritone), Hugh Geyer (first tenor), and Chuck
* Blasko (second tenor).

--
The randomly chosen signature file that would have appeared here is more than 4
lines long. As such, it violates one or more Usenet RFCs. In order to remain
in compliance with said RFCs, the actual sig can be found at the following URL:
http://user.xmission.com/~gazelle/Sigs/Aspergers
RH Draney
2018-03-04 23:29:41 UTC
Permalink
Raw Message
On 3/4/2018 3:14 PM, Kenny McCormack wrote:
> In article <***@news4.newsguy.com>, RH Draney <***@cox.net> wrote:
>> On 3/4/2018 8:54 AM, That Derek wrote:
>>>
>>> Bill Burkette of The Vogues vocal group from Turtle Creek dies
>>
>> Turtle Creek?...is that anywhere near Bug Tussle?...r
>
> Yeah, I hate when people post obits like this that very carefully avoid
> telling us which state they are talking about. You see this fairly often
> here. They give the city name, as if it was obvious what state that is in.
> So, you have no idea where the thing actually took place.

Sometimes even creating weird situations like with J Madison Wright, who
died in "the UK hospital" and whose wedding and funeral both took place
a month apart in "London"....r
Loading...