Former Phillies pitcher Roy Halladay, 40, killed in plane crash
2017-11-07 21:30:53 UTC
https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/mlb/2017/11/07/roy-halladay-plane-crash/841101001/
Roy Halladay dies in plane crash
USA TODAY Sports Published 4:01 p.m. ET Nov. 7, 2017 | Updated 4:25 p.m. ET Nov. 7, 2017

Two-time Cy Young winner Roy Halladay died when his single-engine plane crashed in the Gulf of Mexico on Tuesday, according to the Pasco Sheriff in Florida.

The plane was registered to Halladay's father crashed and plunged into water that was six feet deep, according to police. Halladay was the lone passenger.

The Pasco Sheriff's Office Marine Unit responded to a call at noon ET that a single-engine, light-sport category aircraft matching Halladay's tail numbers was "upside down in shallow water" and that recovery efforts were ongoing.

National Transportation Safety Board spokesperson Terry Williams told USAT TODAY Sports that the agency’s investigators are scheduled to arrive at the scene of the crash Tuesday evening.

"The FAA will release the aircraft registration after local authorities release that information. The Federal Aviation Administration will investigate. The National Transportation Safety Board will determine the probable cause of the accident," FAA spokesperson Kathleen Bergen said.

Halladay was 203-105 with a 3.38 ERA in his career and in 2010 became only the second pitcher to throw a no-hitter in the postseason.

His 16-year career began in 1998 with the Toronto Blue Jays until 2009. He spent the his final four seasons with the Philadelphia Phillies before retiring in 2013. He was an eight-time All-Star and finished in the top 5 of the Cy Young Award seven times.

On May 29, 2010, Halladay pitched the 20th perfect game in baseball history, beating the then-Florida Marlins 1-0.

Less than five months later on Oct. 6, 2010, he threw the second no-hitter in postseason history against the Cincinnati Reds in Game 1 of the 2010 National League Division Series.

After the 2013 season, he signed a ceremonial one-day contract with the Blue Jays and announced his retirement from baseball due to constant back injuries.
Michael OConnor
2017-11-08 02:47:16 UTC
This is sad, Roy Halladay was a tremendous pitcher, and is one of only 30 men to have thrown more than one no-hitter; the second no-no of course being the perfect game. He becomes eligible for the Hall of Fame in 2019, and I think you can almost make an argument for him, but the argument ultimately comes up short. From 2002-11 he had a record of 170-75, with two Cy Young awards. He never got to a World Series. Three 20-win seasons, two 19-win seasons.
RIP
MJ Emigh
2017-11-08 03:50:08 UTC
He becomes eligible for the Hall of Fame in 2019, and I think you can almost make an argument for him, but the argument ultimately comes up short.<
The voting is almost always a little questionable. It would not surprise me to see that his early and tragic death gives him those extra few points he needs to get in. And I'd be glad to see it happen, frankly. I'm still hoping that Graig Nettles will save a child from a burning building or something equally heroic to get him back into consideration.