Muzaffer İzgü, 84, in August (Turkish humorist & 2-time HCAA nominee)
2017-09-29 00:07:51 UTC
He was nominated for the Hans Christian Andersen Award in 2002 and 2010.

He wrote more than 150 books (according to Wikipedia), almost 2/3 for children.

"Muzaffer İzgü is one of Turkey’s most popular and prolific writers, having authored over 90 books for adults and children, as well as theatre plays and screenplays. His stories depict real life in Turkey with sharp yet affectionate humour. His work has garnered numerous prizes. Izgu was born in Adana in 1933 and trained as a teacher. He was a teacher for decades and is respected as much for his excellence in this profession as for his writing."

http://www.hurriyetdailynews.com/renowned-turkish-childrens-book-author-muzaffer-izgu-dies-aged-84.aspx?pageID=238&nID=117269
(obit, in English)

Muzaffer İzgü, a leading writer of children’s books and works of humor, died at the age of 84 on Aug. 26 after a battle with cancer.

İzgü was diagnosed with cancer after being taken to the Atatürk Training and Research Hospital due to extreme weight loss. The father of three rejected cancer treatment and returned to his home in Istanbul, where he died on Aug. 26.

While staying at the hospital, İzgü reportedly asked to be remembered as someone who “was born, read, dreamed, wrote, and died.”

İzgü’s son, Ahmet Şahin İzgü, and his daughter-in-law, Muhterem İzgü, have expressed their sorrow after his passing. The former stated that Turkish literature has now lost its “last trio of humor.”

“I extend my deepest condolences to Turkish readers. We have lost our dear father. While losing our father, we have also lost the last trio of humor in Turkish literature: Rıfat Ilgaz, Aziz Nesin and Muzaffer İzgü,” he said.

After funeral prayers at the Alsancak Hocazade Mosque in İzmir, İzgü was laid to rest in the Doğançay Cemetary on Aug. 28.

Born in 1933, İzgü graduated from the Diyarbakir Primary Teacher Training School and worked as a classroom teacher for many years. He became a teacher at a middle school and in 1959 he began his writing career by writing adult-oriented short stories and essays. In the 1970s, he began writing children’s books and in his last years he wrote exclusively for children. In total İzgü has more than 90 books for adults and children to his name.

https://www.google.com/search?q=Muzaffer+%C4%B0zg%C3%BC+84&oq=Muzaffer+%C4%B0zg%C3%BC+84&gs_l=psy-ab.3...1885.1885.0.2134.1.1.0.0.0.0.154.154.0j1.1.0.dummy_maps_web_fallback...0...1.1.64.psy-ab..0.0.0....0.Oe-USHMnSz4
(more obits, in Turkish)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Muzaffer_%C4%B0zg%C3%BC
(includes his awards)

https://groups.google.com/forum/#!searchin/rec.arts.books.childrens/izgu%7Csort:relevance/rec.arts.books.childrens/2vv9CgPAtto/LDZzm-3V6mcJ
(birthday post from 2013, with filmography and a few videos)

https://www.google.com/search?um=1&hl=en&tbm=isch&sa=1&q=%22muzaffer+izgu%22+books&oq=%22muzaffer+izgu%22+books&gs_l=psy-ab.3...2748.3581.0.3818.6.6.0.0.0.0.152.576.5j1.6.0.dummy_maps_web_fallback...0...1.1.64.psy-ab..0.1.151...0i30k1j0i24k1.0.gSpV3PJPTK0
(book covers)

2017-09-29 18:23:55 UTC
Wow! This feller had one of those Turkish capital I's with a dot atop it. But the Turkish Romanized alphabet drives me crazy with the I's, both dotted and undotted (different sounds denoted by the presence/absence of said dots); the regular C's which sound like J's and the cedilla'ed C's denoting a CH sound; the G's with a hacek making the G silent ,,, you get the picture.

However, the most frustrating thing about Turkish proves to be that there is no universal standard for accent and stress; in the Finno-Ugaric family such as Finnish and Hungarian. Aboutany given Turkish word can be stressed on any syllable -- unlike other languages 95% of words in both Hungarian and Finnish are stressed on the word's first syllable.

I always found it interesting about another value these distaff language share. Finnish (and Estonian) is spoken in a country whose language in totally unlike those spoken in the Scandinavian countries that surround it. Similarly Hungarian is spoken in a country whose language in totally unlike those spoken in the Slavic countries that surround it, and Turkish is spoken in a country whose language in totally unlike those spoken in the Arabic countries that surround it.