"Boy dies after allergic reaction to cheese allegedly forced on him"
2017-07-12 21:57:10 UTC
What I don't understand is, if he got sick during a school break, why was he at school?

Not to mention that maybe kids who are that vulnerable shouldn't be at the mercy of kids who may not take allergies seriously? (It's not clear whether the other boy was being malicious or not.)

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2017/jul/11/karanbir-cheema-dies-allergic-reaction-cheese-allegedly-forced-on-him

By Lisa O'Carroll.

First half:

A 13-year-old boy with a dairy allergy died after suffering a severe reaction to a piece of cheese allegedly forced on him, prompting an investigation by the Metropolitan police’s murder team.

Karanbir Cheema was taken to a west London hospital on 28 June after becoming unwell during a school break.

He died on Sunday after 10 days in Great Ormond Street children’s hospital, devastating his family and school friends.

Officers from Ealing borough police were initially called to the school after it “became apparent that an incident had occurred which led to the boy coming into contact with the allergen”, the Met said in a statement.

A 13-year-old boy was arrested and released on bail pending further inquiries and the case has been passed to homicide officers.

Karanbir’s father, Amarjeet, told the Evening Standard he was heartbroken.

“We were in hospital I had to watch him die, no parent should have to go through that.” he said. “While he was in hospital we were fully concentrated on his condition. Now we want answers. How could this have happened?

“My son had allergies but he was very careful. He had an allergy to dairy products but was good at avoiding them. I don’t how a piece of cheese hitting him could have killed him, it doesn’t make any sense. We have been told very little.”...

2017-07-13 15:29:38 UTC
Free school breakfast and lunch year-round is a thing.
Jim Macey
2017-07-14 02:27:17 UTC
Post by l***@yahoo.com
What I don't understand is, if he got sick during a school break, why was he at school?
Recess = break, or school break, often after 2nd hour of classes, for
about 20 mins. I think the school year is still Sept through mid-July.
Steve Hayes
2017-07-17 02:38:05 UTC

http://www.khanya.org.za/stevesig.htm
http://khanya.wordpress.com
Steve Hayes
2017-07-17 02:59:06 UTC
On Mon, 17 Jul 2017 04:38:05 +0200, Steve Hayes
Post by l***@yahoo.com
What I don't understand is, if he got sick during a school break, why was he at school?
He wasn't.

If you read the article, it says they took him to hospital. If he was
in hospital he was no longer at school.
Post by l***@yahoo.com
Not to mention that maybe kids who are that vulnerable shouldn't be at
the mercy of kids who may not take allergies seriously? (It's not
clear whether the other boy was being malicious or not.)
No, that's what the police are investigating.

But it looks as though it could be an example of bullying having a
fatal outcome.