Ron Jacobs, 78. Hawaiian broadcaster; co-creator, AT-40; producer, Cruisin' oldies records
2016-03-10 02:51:18 UTC
http://www.allaccess.com/net-news/archive/story/151331/radio-legend-ron-jacobs-passes

Radio Legend Ron Jacobs Passes

March 8, 2016 at 12:45 PM (PT)

Legendary 93/KHJ PD RON JACOBS has passed away today (MARCH 8th) at his home in PEARL CITY, HAWAII at the age of 78. Death has presumably been attributed to natural causes; no memorial plans are available at this time.

Born in HONOLULU on SEPTEMBER 3rd, 1937, JACOBS received his first license to broadcast on CHRISTMAS EVE, 1953, turning pro as an all-night DJ at HONOLULU's KHON Radio. In 1957, he segued to HENRY J. KAISER's new KHVH Radio. A year later, he landed his first PD gig at KPOA and a year after that, launched and programmed K-POI -- HAWAII's first Top 40 outlet.

In 1962, JACOBS was promoted to VP/Programming at the COLGREENE CORPORATION, which included KMEN/SAN BERNARDINO and KMAK/FRESNO, the latter where JACOBS would team with radio consultant BILL DRAKE to program RKO GENERAL's KHJ/LOS ANGELES. Within six months, the DRAKE-JACOBS' "BOSS RADIO" format was #1, garnering national recognition for creating pop radio's most influential sound of the 1960s.

After four years atop the L.A. radio ratings, JACOBS left KHJ to co-found and become VP of WATERMARK, INC. He collaborated with TOM ROUNDS and veteran LA deejay CASEY KASEM to create American Top 40, which became the most widely syndicated radio program in history. Also at WATERMARK, JACOBS also produced the award-winning ELVIS PRESLEY STORY, as well as a 13-album record series saluting pop radio pioneers, entitled CRUISIN': A History of Rock 'n' Roll Radio.

JACOBS would later program KGB-A/F/SAN DIEGO and venture further into concert promotion before returning to HONOLULU radio to do PD/mornings at KKUA as "Whodaguy Ron Jacobs." In 1980, JACOBS launched KDEO as HAWAII's only full-time Country music station.

After three decades in broadcasting, JACOBS wrote his first book, "Backdoor Waikiki," which was published in 1986. For seven years he was a contributing editor to both HONOLULU and HAWAII magazines.

On FEBRUARY 9th, 1998, joined KCCN-A as host of the morning-drive show. A year later, the station changed to an all-Sports format and JACOBS left the airwaves.

- See more at: http://www.allaccess.com/net-news/archive/story/151331/radio-legend-ron-jacobs-passes#sthash.dMw3DFa8.dpuf
o***@gmail.com
2017-08-29 19:24:42 UTC
I met RJ through Facebook - I saw that we had mutual FB friends in Hawaii and we lived in the same town, Pearl City. I was a big fan of his growing up and always remembered the comedic energy that exploded over the radio waves. I took him to the Zippy's restaurant that was across the street from his Pearl City penthouse. I asked him to be my mentor so I could learn about promotions. So for a year it was a roller coaster ride where I became his caregiver because he had a few friends who would come to his rescue. I was also his videographer/sidekick where we would do some improvs that caused the neighbors to call the police on us! Just as I was leaving with my video gear the police was outside the door. RJ came out in his underwear! I could just imagine us getting busted for shooting a porno!

He was unbearable to be around when he was off his BiPolar meds. His voice would rise in pitch as his face got more flustered like a boiling teapot about to do a nuclear meltdown. I would tell him that I couldn't understand a thing he was saying - he then would calmly collect himself and say "You like me use my money voice den?"

Amazing coincidence was that RJ's middle name was Herbert, my dad's first name. They both died at 78. We used to joke that we were the only two Jewaiians in Pearl City running amok. I think about RJ overtime I pass his apartment. His joy in life was to create his next big event and to bring joy and laughter to the world. I have the videos of RJ on You Tube.
o***@gmail.com
2017-08-29 19:28:25 UTC
I met RJ through Facebook - I saw that we had mutual FB friends in Hawaii and we lived in the same town, Pearl City. I was a big fan of his growing up and always remembered the comedic energy that exploded over the radio waves. I took him to the Zippy's restaurant that was across the street from his Pearl City penthouse. I asked him to be my mentor so I could learn about promotions. So for a year it was a roller coaster ride where I became his caregiver because he had a few friends who would come to his rescue. He had burned a lot of bridges with so many but I've been around mad geniuses in NYC so I could put up with his acerbic antics. I was also his videographer/sidekick where we would do some improvs that caused the neighbors to call the police on us! Just as I was leaving with my video gear the police was outside the door. RJ came out in his underwear! I could just imagine us getting busted for shooting a porno!

Amazing coincidence was that RJ's middle name was Herbert, my dad's first name. They both died at 78. We used to joke that we were the only two Jewaiians in Pearl City running amok. I think about RJ every time I pass his apartment. His joy in life was to create his next big event and to bring joy and laughter to the world. I have the videos of RJ on You Tube.
Larry Liberal
2017-08-29 19:36:31 UTC
On 29-Aug-17 15:28, ***@gmail.com wrote:

<<<<REMOVED THE COMPLETE LOAD OF TIME WASTING BULLSHIT>>>>

Too bad both of you didn't go at the same time. You both sound like
douchebags who like to finger each others' assholes.
MJ Emigh
2017-08-29 20:02:04 UTC
Ron Jacobs Passes
I have no idea why this came up over a year later, but I guess I missed it the first time. I'm pretty sure I bought all of the original "Cruisin'" albums (avoiding the "Cruisin' Story" reissues) for the album art. I'm afraid Ron Jacobs didn't really enter my buying decision all that much.

His thing was the production, I guess. The music on the later ones was ok, with DJs doing intros and outros between the songs, but the first few, as I recall, had them talking over the beginning and end of the records. Certainly, that was more authentic, as Dead Air was the #1 sin that could be committed on radio back then, but it was pretty irritating.

The covers, however were GREAT! They were done in comic style and captured the lives of youth year by year really well. From hot-rodders to hippies to yuppies, each panel was very, very cool.