Richard Libertini, 82, stage/screen character actor
That Derek
2016-01-10 21:56:18 UTC
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/richard-libertini-dead-laws-actor-853847

Richard Libertini, the Crazy Central American General in 'The In-Laws,' Dies at 82

by Mike Barnes

1/10/2016 11:22am PST

The veteran character actor also was Chevy Chase's boss in the 'Fletch' films and a Tibetan mystic in the Steve Martin-Lily Tomlin comedy 'All of Me.'

Richard Libertini, the busy character actor who played the insane Central American general Garcia in the 1979 madcap comedy The In-Laws, has died. He was 82.

Libertini, also known as the boss of newspaper reporter Irwin Fletcher (Chevy Chase) in the Fletch films and as the Tibetan mystic Prakha Lasa in the Steve Martin-Lily Tomlin comedy All of Me (1984), died Jan. 7 after a two-year battle with cancer, his family announced.

Libertini, who often sported a thick beard, excelled at portraying characters of various ethnicities. A member of the famed Second City comedy troupe in Chicago, he was married from 1963-78 to Melinda Dillon, the two-time Oscar-nominated actress who starred in Close Encounters of the Third Kind (1977), Absence of Malice (1981) and The Christmas Story (1983).

In the 1970s, Libertini appeared as "The Godfather" on the sitcom Soap, played another criminal on Mary Hartman, Mary Hartman and was the fired WJM station employee Big Chicken on The Mary Tyler Moore Show. Later, he showed up as the political activist father of Miles Silverberg (Grant Shaud) on Murphy Brown.

Libertini had the honor of marrying Goldie Hawn and Burt Reynolds in Best Friends (1982). A year earlier, he portrayed a surveillance pro opposite Reynolds in Sharky's Machine.

His other notable movies include John Cassavetes' Big Trouble (1986) -- in a reunion with his In-Laws co-stars Peter Falk and Alan Arkin -- Terrence Malick's Days of Heaven (1978), Robert Altman's Popeye (1980) and Penny Marshall's Awakenings (1990).

A native of Cambridge, Mass., Libertini graduated from Emerson College and partnered with MacIntyre Dixon (another Second City alum) and Linda Segal in a coffee-house act they called "Stewed Prunes."

In 1966, he made his Broadway debut in Woody Allen's Don't Drink the Water, playing a magic-loving priest, then appeared on the big screen for the first time in William Friedkin's The Night They Raided Minsky's (1968).

His film résumé also includes the 1969 film version of Don't Drink the Water, The Out of Towners (1970), Catch-22 (1970), Friedkin's Deal of the Century (1983), Going Berserk (1983), Unfaithfully Yours (1984), The Lemon Sisters (1989), The Bonfire of the Vanities (1990), Nell (1994) and Dolphin Tale (2011).

On television, Libertini was on The Jeffersons, Baretta, The Bob Newhart Show, Barney Miller, Laverne & Shirley, Moonlighting, The Fanelli Boys, Star Trek: Deep Space Nine, Jenny, The Drew Carey Show and Supernatural.

In 2011, Libertini made a final Broadway appearance in Allen's Honeymoon Hotel, one of the three one-acts in the stage production Relatively Speaking.

Survivors also include his son Richard, sister Alice and brother Albert.

Twitter: @mikebarnes4
Anglo Saxon
2016-01-10 22:14:32 UTC
Post by That Derek
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/richard-libertini-dead-laws-actor-
853847
One of those individuals who are in the orchestra of one's life, you know
him like you know where you live. Character actors. They pour their whole
life into an art and work like hell, don't they. Seems to me in my mind
that I remember them more than the headliner. I'm becoming more and more
grateful every day for the era I grew up and live in.
Diner
2016-01-10 22:32:50 UTC
Post by That Derek
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/richard-libertini-dead-laws-actor-853847
Libertini had the honor of marrying Goldie Hawn and Burt Reynolds in Best Friends (1982).
That performance earned him a guest spot on The Tonight Show, because Johnny Carson was so impressed with Libertini's performance.
Libertini and Dixon were also stars of "The Mad Show," the landmark off-Broadway musical that opened in January 1966. The other three cast members were Linda Lavin, Paul Sand and Jo Anne Worley.
That Derek
2016-01-10 23:00:50 UTC
Of "The MAD Show" alumni, only McIntyre Dixon did not achieve any sitcom success in the 1970s. I do, however, remember seeing Dixon in "Tomfoolery: The Tom Lehrer Musical" off-Broadway in 1981-82 and in the revival of "1776," circa 1997, with Brent Spiner as John Adams.

Mad Magazine did utilize "The MAD Show" actors in mock magazine ads and fumetti, but I only remember seeing Libertini and Ms. Worley in such.

Another Libertini credit was as "The Godfather" in early episodes of "Soap."

When I think of the banana republic dictator in "The In-Laws," I keep imagining Libertini singing "Rebels are we / Born to be Free / Just like the fish in the sea," but then I realize that with Ricardo Montalban's brother Carlos of the "El Exigente" coffee commercials.
That Derek
2016-01-10 23:04:26 UTC
... continued from last post.

Woody Allen's film "Bananas" was where one would find Carlos Montalban as a Central American dictator.
David Carson
2016-01-11 01:48:07 UTC
Post by That Derek
On television, Libertini was on The Jeffersons, Baretta, The Bob Newhart Show, Barney Miller, Laverne & Shirley, Moonlighting, The Fanelli Boys, Star Trek: Deep Space Nine
He played Akorem Laan, a Bajoran religious figure from the past, in the
fourth-season episode, "Accession," in 1996.

David Carson
--
Dead or Alive Data Base
http://www.doadb.com
Louis Epstein
2016-02-06 20:34:04 UTC
Post by David Carson
Post by That Derek
On television, Libertini was on The Jeffersons, Baretta, The Bob Newhart Show, Barney Miller, Laverne & Shirley, Moonlighting, The Fanelli Boys, Star Trek: Deep Space Nine
He played Akorem Laan, a Bajoran religious figure from the past, in the
fourth-season episode, "Accession," in 1996.
Saw him in a Law & Order rerun in recent days.

-=-=-