Leonard Landy, 84- The Latest, Nearly Absolutely Last Of An Endless Number Of Our Gang Rascals
Add Reply
Sarah Ehrett's Lesbian Love Interest
2017-07-28 13:50:55 UTC
Apr 9, 2017;

Leonard Landy, ‘Our Gang’ Actor, Dies at 84
Variety Variety
Rebecca Rubin

Leonard Landy, best known for his work as one of the Little Rascals on “Our Gang,” died Wednesday. He was 84.

Often recognized for his freckled face and big ears, Landy appeared in 21 “Our Gang” comedy shorts, debuting in “Feed ‘Em and Weep” in 1938 and culminating with “Fightin’ Fools” in 1941.

“Our Gang,” a series of comedy short films about a group of poor neighborhood children and their adventures, began in 1922 as a series of silent shorts. When it was converted to sound in 1929, Landy was known for watching the action with an occasional one liner.

Landy also appeared in the 1950s version of the comedy series, which was later syndicated for television and re-titled “The Little Rascals.” Hal Roach produced both productions.

In total, “Our Gang” featured over 41 child actors. Actors from the series who are still living include Lassie Lou Ahern, Robert Blake, Margaret Kerry, Sidney Kibrick and Mildred Kornman.

In 1980, Landy acted in an “Our Gang” reunion sponsored by The Sons of the Desert. He made numerous appearances with the Los Angeles based chapter of the Sons. His last appearance was a mini-reunion with eight other “Our Gang” members in 2014.

He is survived by his wife and two children.
That Derek
2017-07-28 14:03:15 UTC
"Fooey!"
c***@aol.com
2017-07-28 15:26:09 UTC
Are we sure he wasn't a Tuskegee airman too?
That Derek
2017-07-28 15:44:57 UTC
... or a Navajo Code Talker ... or an animator who actually knew Walt Disney ... or a 1936 Olympian ... or the guy who taught John Travolta how to dance (there were so many claimants for this distinction back in the 1970s --
don't be surprised if this starts showing up in obituary headlines).

Actually, for die-hard Our Gang/Little Rascals fans, Leonard Landy is recognizable in the final Hal Roaches and the early MGM's. He usually wore overalls and a Fauntleroy hat. Strictly background as the obit cited.

This Landy reminds me of Dr. Eugene Landy, that Svengali who had control over Brian Wilson for many years. Now if only Brian were dyslexic, he might've sought out counseling from DYLAN.
e***@gmail.com
2017-07-28 19:52:53 UTC
And maybe a victim of the blacklist.