(OT) Jay Black, still alive! (not to be confused with John "Jay" Traynor who died, and was the first 'Jay' with 'The Americans')
Add Reply
News
2014-01-03 13:03:53 UTC
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jay_Black
Jay Black (Nov. 2, 1938 - ), now 75, was the second 'Jay' and the most
famous of the three.

Black sang "Cara Mia" "Come a Little Bit Closer" "Only in America" and
"This Magic Moment" for Jay & The Americans.

Jay Black's website: http://www.jayblackthevoice.com

http://www.jayblackthevoice.com/jb1.htm

"...Because of contractual difficulties with the record companies, Jay
decided he would focus on being an entertainer instead of a recording
artist. This decision has paid off handsomely. To quote Jay, "I'm an
entertainer who happens to sing." And sing he does, being given the title
"The Voice" which once belonged to Frank Sinatra!

Jay Black continues to tour and play to sold-out audiences. Their stirring
performance of "Cara Mia" on the 2001 PBS show "Rock, Rhythm and Doo Wop"
has generated a resurgence in popularity for the group, and Jay Black has
earned the nickname "The King of Westbury" for his unparalleled record of
sell-out concerts at New York's Westbury Music Fair, which is the number one
venue of its size."

Jay Black singing "Cara Mia" for PBS in 2011, at 72:

Jay Black singing "Cara Mia" for PBS in 2001, at 62, with his famous apology
on "not hitting the high notes" as well as he used to, which is certainly
not true, as this video attests. He makes Frank Sinatra sound like an
amateur on his amazing range!

COMMENTERS:
"I am so damned jealous of this man!!!!! Tried to sing it once... DESTROYED
IT!!!! This is one song that I will never cover..... It belongs to this man
alone!"

"I dare someone half his age to hit those high notes. Jay YOU ROCK."

Jay Black singing "Cara Mia" (#4 on Billboard) on "Shindig" with 'The
Americans' on July 28, 1965, when he was 26:

J.D. Baldwin
2014-01-03 15:48:56 UTC
Post by News
Jay Black continues to tour and play to sold-out audiences. Their
stirring performance of "Cara Mia" on the 2001 PBS show "Rock,
Rhythm and Doo Wop" has generated a resurgence in popularity for the
group, [...]
I saw that show. Black's voice is shot. It was fun seeing him on
stage doing the not-so-hard parts of Cara Mia, but the pyrotechnic
registers are now well beyond his reach.
News
2014-01-03 23:44:17 UTC
Post by J.D. Baldwin
Post by News
Jay Black continues to tour and play to sold-out audiences. Their
stirring performance of "Cara Mia" on the 2001 PBS show "Rock,
Rhythm and Doo Wop" has generated a resurgence in popularity for the
group, [...]
I saw that show.
Black's voice is shot.
That's not what I heard on that show, or he never would have
reached those high notes and his voice would have cracked.
Post by J.D. Baldwin
It was fun seeing him on
stage doing the not-so-hard parts of Cara Mia, but the pyrotechnic
registers are now well beyond his reach.
Listen to it again, J.D. and the audience cheering over the years:

http://youtu.be/9oFW6rmtUXY
At 62. (2001)

http://youtu.be/mRzAyx40Bzg
And again, at 72. (2011)

And again, at 74. (Aug. 2013)

If he hadn't done it successfully, the audience would have sat
silent or booed.
Let's hear you sing anywhere near those high notes without your
voice breaking into pieces before you get 2 notes into it.
J.D. Baldwin
2014-01-06 16:48:20 UTC
Post by News
It was fun seeing him on stage doing the not-so-hard parts of Cara
Mia, but the pyrotechnic registers are now well beyond his reach.
http://youtu.be/9oFW6rmtUXY
Oh, hell, I'd cheer and applaud, too, just because it would be so damn
cool to see him fighting his way through this number. But compare and
contrast about 1:55 - 2:20 of that video with 0:25 - 0:50 of this one:

If that doesn't make you sad, you have rocks in your ears.
News
2014-01-06 18:58:18 UTC
Post by J.D. Baldwin
Post by News
It was fun seeing him on stage doing the not-so-hard parts of Cara
Mia, but the pyrotechnic registers are now well beyond his reach.
http://youtu.be/9oFW6rmtUXY
Oh, hell, I'd cheer and applaud, too, just because it would be so damn
cool to see him fighting his way through this number.
Oh, that's ridiculous!
Post by J.D. Baldwin
But compare and
http://youtu.be/1sFy5_kmEi4
If that doesn't make you sad, you have rocks in your ears.
Ok, so he isn't 26 anymore as in the other one that I also posted
and it doesn't make me sad.
His voice *didn't crack or break at all* on the high notes, just
wasn't as strong.
Nothing to be ashamed of that he could reach those notes with
only more strain than he did at 26.
You and I are going to have to agree to disagree on this one.
Carl Navarro
2014-01-06 22:37:04 UTC
Post by News
Post by J.D. Baldwin
Post by News
It was fun seeing him on stage doing the not-so-hard parts of Cara
Mia, but the pyrotechnic registers are now well beyond his reach.
http://youtu.be/9oFW6rmtUXY
Oh, hell, I'd cheer and applaud, too, just because it would be so damn
cool to see him fighting his way through this number.
Oh, that's ridiculous!
Post by J.D. Baldwin
But compare and
http://youtu.be/1sFy5_kmEi4
If that doesn't make you sad, you have rocks in your ears.
Ok, so he isn't 26 anymore as in the other one that I also posted
and it doesn't make me sad.
His voice *didn't crack or break at all* on the high notes, just
wasn't as strong.
Nothing to be ashamed of that he could reach those notes with
only more strain than he did at 26.
You and I are going to have to agree to disagree on this one.
Geeze, didn't Harry Chapin say it best? "The drinking I did on my
last big gig, it made my voice go low"

"W-O-L-D"

Carl
t***@iwvisp.com
2014-01-09 17:47:38 UTC
On Monday, January 6, 2014 10:58:18 AM UTC-8, News wrote:

Absolutely. Props to the guy being able to sing a full concert, sound great in his normal register, and still hit the falsetto, albeit, just barely, at 75.

BTW, there are other more recent YouTube cuts (handheld) that show him turning his back to the audience when the falsetto kicks in, so he may occasionally have some assistance.

My fear is the guy is going to pop an artery some night and bleed out on stage.

Ray Arthur
c***@gmail.com
2018-07-23 06:41:48 UTC
J black was on PBS in 2000 and he did his songs very well... Right now in 2018 he does not sing anymore because he lost his voice. Plus he is very old it makes a lot of sense how many people keep their voice in there 80s... Plus when you take time away from saying you start to lose your voice just like if you work out and you take a lot of time away from working out you start to see you gain weight and look different... So J black I think it was a year he took away from singing for whatever reason any lost his singing voice.. But none the less He was a great singer and he was the best out of all the
The three jays in J and America