OT: "Boy survives tumble at Niagara Falls"
2017-10-16 18:42:37 UTC
I KNEW something like this was bound to happen. I've been there, on both sides, and in a way, it's worse than that - I saw how many places it would be very easy for a dumb teen - never mind anyone smaller - to sneak between the steel rails of the fence, upstream.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/boy-survives-tumble-at-niagara-falls/ar-AAtA63a?li=BBnb7Kz&ocid=mailsignout

Lenona.
W.C. Green
2017-10-17 12:20:26 UTC
Post by l***@yahoo.com
I KNEW something like this was bound to happen. I've been there, on both sides, and in a way, it's worse than that - I saw how many places it would be very easy for a dumb teen - never mind anyone smaller - to sneak between the steel rails of the fence, upstream.
This boy didn't "sneak." He was "... sitting on the railing so his
mother could take a picture on Sunday." Since he was ten, I presume he
was old enough to say, "Mom, maybe this isn't a great idea." Of course,
the article also mentions a Japanese tourist who fell from a pillar
while trying for a better view.

Perhaps what is needed is not solid sneak-proof fencing, but idiot-proof
vista points for those seeking to memorialize themselves and their
friends and family.
Michael OConnor
I've never been to Niagara Falls but I remember seeing that documentary where the kid fell off the railing and Superman flew down and caught him and you would have thought after that incident that they would have put up additional fencing to prevent something like that from happening again.
c***@aol.com
2017-10-18 13:51:48 UTC
Why? Must the view and everyone else’s enjoyment be impaired to protect against 1 stupid kid?

Snowflake Society.
l***@yahoo.com
2017-10-19 20:59:46 UTC
Post by W.C. Green
This boy didn't "sneak." He was "... sitting on the railing so his
mother could take a picture on Sunday." Since he was ten, I presume he
was old enough to say, "Mom, maybe this isn't a great idea." Of course,
the article also mentions a Japanese tourist who fell from a pillar
while trying for a better view.
Perhaps what is needed is not solid sneak-proof fencing, but idiot-proof
vista points for those seeking to memorialize themselves and their
friends and family.
OK, so I didn't phrase that well. I just meant that even if parents have the sense to tell kids NOT to risk their lives in any way while visiting the falls, it's pretty easy for, say, a toddler to dash off to the river's edge and fall in if the parent doesn't have it on a leash.