Marvin Kaplan, 89, actor ("Alice," "Top Cat," "It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad, World")
Diner
2016-08-25 20:02:27 UTC
Wonderful comic actor, probably best remembered for "It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad, World." Marvin and Arnold Stang played a pair of gas station attendants whose gas station is destroyed single-handedly by Jonathan Winters.

From a mailing today by L.A. theatre company Theatre West:

http://us3.campaign-archive1.com/?u=64d064bf6a87e6ae881e59653&id=ae81853669
Beloved Member Marvin Kaplan Passes Away

It is with a sad and heavy heart to inform you our very own Marvin Kaplan passed away today at 5AM in his sleep. There will be a memorial at the theatre, in addition to any other service held for him. We will send out more information as we receive it.

We loved Marvin. He will truly be missed.
Bryan Styble
2016-08-25 21:09:55 UTC
I seem to recall that Kaplan also ran a small comedy actors' workshop during the '80s in Los Angeles.

BRYAN STYBLE/Florida
Larc
2016-08-25 23:04:26 UTC
On Thu, 25 Aug 2016 14:09:55 -0700 (PDT), Bryan Styble <***@gmail.com>
wrote:

| I seem to recall that Kaplan also ran a small comedy actors' workshop during the '80s in Los Angeles.

My first recollection of him is from many years ago in a CBS TV show called Meet
Millie. Elena Verdugo was Millie Bronson and Florence Halop was her mother. Marvin
Kaplan as hanger-around Alfred Prinzmetal was a regular visitor and diner. I still
remember one episode when he was unable to be there for dinner and Mama Bronson
suggested he could send his tapeworm over in a taxi.

Larc
Bryan Styble
2016-08-26 01:00:54 UTC
Upon reflection, it was clear I was incorrect as to who schooled would-be comics out in L.A.; I confused the late Kaplan with his sorta look-alike Stanley Myron Handelman, who died out in California on Sunday, August 5, 2007.

BRYAN STYBLE/Florida
c***@aol.com
2016-08-26 02:06:15 UTC
I remember him as the court reporter in Adam's Rib.
l***@yahoo.com
2016-08-25 21:32:00 UTC
Awww, what a crying shame. I was hoping he'd make it to 90.

I also remember him for "The Great Race," even though his role was pretty small, I think.

From January: "Saluting Marvin Kaplan."

http://www.thespectrum.com/story/entertainment/2016/01/21/saluting-marvin-kaplan/79076230/

Excerpt:

...With his distinctive Brooklyn-flavored accent, he also worked as a voice actor, notably in the popular “Top Cat” cartoon series from the early 1960s where he voiced Choo-Choo.

“People tell me all the time they named their cat Choo-Choo after that character!”

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0438322/

Lenona.
Will Dockery
Thanks, I was having good memories of Marvin Kaplan earlier this morning.
wboenig
2016-08-26 13:27:15 UTC
Just a few months ago, Mr. Kaplan wrote the forward to a book titled "The Old-Time Radio Trivia Book IV", written by Mel Simons. (Mr. Simons is a personal friend of mine.)

In January 2014 Mr. Simons conducted a telephone interview with Mr. Kaplan, for which I was assigned the duty of writing some excerpts to be included in the monthly newsletter for a club of old-time radio aficionados. Below is what I wrote:

Marvin Kaplan was born in the Williamsburg section of Brooklyn, NY on January 24, 1927. His acting career began in kindergarten when he played the dormouse in "Alice In Wonderland". He also did some acting as a pre-teen and teenager at his local YMHA.

His radio career was spawned while he was performing in the play “Once In A Lifetime”, which got good reviews. Ed Macks was a radio man who had worked with Marvin and recommended him to Cy Howard. Howard began to create a show tentatively called “The Three Of Us” with the intention of using Kaplan, but the show was not picked up by any of the radio networks. However, CBS did like Kaplan as an actor and offered him a role on their new show "Meet Millie". Kaplan said that CBS originally wanted Judy Holliday in the title role but ended up settling for Audrey Totter. Kaplan added that his character as it was originally developed was deemed to be “too close to Millie” so the producers created a new character – a poet named Alfred Prinzmetal – and moved him into that role. "Meet Millie" aired on CBS radio from 1951 to 1954 and on CBS television from 1952 to 1956.

When asked about any other radio work he did, Kaplan said that Elliot Lewis once used him in an episode of "Suspense" (“Dutch Schultz”, airdate 10-26-53), and that he also did a lot of acting in the "Sears Radio Theater" series in the 1970s.

Kaplan is currently a contributing writer to a stage adaptation of “Bluebeard’s Eighth Wife”, a musical which will be performed at the Beverly Garland Holiday Inn in North Hollywood on February 15, 2014. Kaplan will play the role of St. Peter.

During the interview, Kaplan also talked extensively about the movie "It’s A Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World". Kaplan replaced Jackie Mason as Arnold Stang’s partner in a service station operation, and the part originally designated for Kaplan was then given to Doodles Weaver. Kaplan had high praise for the comedic talents of Jonathan Winters, which were a key element in the success of that movie. (He commented that he had the opportunity to work with two comedic geniuses in his lifetime … Jonathan Winters and Charlie Chaplin in the 1949 movie "Adam’s Rib".)
p***@gmail.com
What part did Chaplin have in Adam's Rib?
c***@aol.com
2016-08-26 15:36:25 UTC
What an asswipe
wboenig
2016-08-26 18:32:43 UTC
I'll have to dig up my notes for a better answer, but my recollection is that he was hired as a consultant for some of the scenes.
Michael OConnor
2016-08-26 22:43:19 UTC
He was the last remaining member of one of the greatest comedic sequences in film history:

c***@aol.com
2016-08-26 23:13:34 UTC
You can't be serious. 15 minutes of funny in a 3 hr plus borefest.